The Thames is still hacking through

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All the weirs on the Thames are still wide open and the red caution strong flow is still in force boat navigation is out. I wonder how long these conditions will continue. More rain forecast for this afternoon coming in from the west Wednesday is dry but will the river be fishable. The Chelmer is dropping back but for how long is any ones guess. We should not be short of water this summer. What are the rivers like in your area.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Heard this morning the Thames is on the banks at Henley and in the fields at Marlow. My local Colne is within it's banks probably due to much of it being canalised en route.

lambert1

Reaction score
The Loddon and the Blackwater near to me: are badly flooded too, but as they both flow into the Thames that is hardly surprising I suppose.:(

bob north

Reaction score
Yesterday 4 Jan, went too Ferry Lane Cholesy to see just what the river was like. It's at least 300yds up the lane and been higher.

Took a walk along the path on the edge field to the high ground near the pill box (if you know where that is ). Looking across to the far bank it's water as
far as the eye can see.

Been a long time since I've seen it as high as this,and that's in 50 years fishing the river.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yesterday 4 Jan, went too Ferry Lane Cholesy to see just what the river was like. It's at least 300yds up the lane and been higher.

Took a walk along the path on the edge field to the high ground near the pill box (if you know where that is ). Looking across to the far bank it's water as
far as the eye can see.

Been a long time since I've seen it as high as this,and that's in 50 years fishing the river.

I t has really done for my winter Thames fishing this season. It has certainly had a flush though.

theartist

Reaction score
We should not be short of water this summer.

Sadly due to huge thirsty population i wouldn't bet on that.

---------- Post added at 06:54 ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 ----------

My local Colne is within it's banks probably due to much of it being canalised en route.

The Colne in Watford was over its banks at water lane and bushey arches at the weekend and almost in tescos. Think it will be back up again with the next rain.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A friend of mine does restoration in the churches in the city of London and he was telling me today that many of the crypts are flooded because of the rise in the ground water. He was saying that many of them have wells in them and they are flooding over and causing serious damp problems in the upper work of the churches.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
My local Colne is within it's banks probably due to much of it being canalised en route.

Over the banks on the NHW stretch at Ricky and along the A40 at Uxbridge. Hammering through too...never seen the Colne quite like this. I actually think it will do some stretches a power of good but there will be fish losses.

The Runner

Reaction score
Colne in Uxbridge on the GX stretch is higher than I've ever seen it but not quite over the bank apart from a couple of swims. For those that know it, the notice board in the river just down from the General Eliott is about a foot under water. Re possible fish losses, not sure of the survival of the thousands of small roach that we stocked just before it started coming up...

I think some water may be getting diverted into the Colne from the Frays as well, as the latter is probably a bigger flood risk to houses in the south of Uxbridge. It runs at the end of my garden and is absolutely hammering through, but only about a foot and a bit above normal.

By the way, a belated hello all. Think I joined on here a few years ago and then forgot that I had !

The Runner

Reaction score
Cheers both

Been told that the Colne still coming up at Uxbridge which I wouldnt have thought possible. Over the banks in places, from the fence end downstream to the bottom of the island apparently now under a foot of water with the backstream flowing across to the main river. Hope the badgers sensed it coming and got out in time !

Down there armed with lobworms either tomorrow or Sunday, choice of swims might be becoming limited though...Whatever happens, don't think I'll be running a float through.