Wye and Usk Foundation....

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Not too sure if this is the correct place for this Thread......

Anyway, purely out of interest I receive an emailed Newsletter every so often from the above which gives info on how the rivers in that part of the world are fishing, salmon stocks etc. and this amongst other general info covering the fishing permits they offer..

This month's Newsletter has arrived to say that from this month they will be extending reports to cover not only salmon, sea trout, trout and grayling but coarse fishing as well. The reports will cover not only the Wye and Usk but all rivers in Wales and the Marches so for anyone contemplating that area for a fishing holiday etc it may well help to read these reports which will cover the previous month's catches and the prospects for the coming month.

The reports can be found under 'Monthly Reports' on the Foundations website.

Note! I have no connection with this organisation whatsoever and post this as general information only

Thanks

ps If you are intending to fish the area I suggest you could do worse than make contact with them directly by phone or email............

Last edited:

aebitim

Reaction score
Have fished a fair few Wandusk waters, booking can be a pain, access can be awfull and the staff can be arrogant, one even booked on top of me on a 2 rod beat that guaranteed that if you were one rod the other would not be available, turned up with family in tow and two rods scrounged gear etc so I tactfully went 200 miles home.
They do have some great fishing though.

tikka

Reaction score
Have fished a fair few Wandusk waters, booking can be a pain, access can be awfull and the staff can be arrogant,
100% in agreement with you, I've fished both the Wye & Usk for over 50yrs, long before the Foundation was thought of,the staff are the most arrogant, self centered, unhelpful individuals I've ever come across. Yes the beats may be better cared for than in years gone by, but the friendliness & camaraderie of the 1960's is no more, & the rivers will suffer in the long run.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Be aware that WUF is a bit of a business and is excellent at raising money, i.e. salesmanship. They have a reputation in the local area for 'talking up' the fishing on the river and for 'spinning' jargon, probably in order to sell more tickets for the fishing. I have lived on the Wye for 18 months now and have yet to meet any local anglers (other than WUF employees) who have much good to say about them regarding this issue - but make your own mind up.
For the best local coarse fishing info for the Hereford area, I would suggest you contact Woody's in Hereford or one of the other shops downstream - then repay the info by calling in and buying your bait from them en route to the river. If you are planning on fishing in the Hay area, let me know and I'll tell you what info I have.

russell_bush

Reaction score
Geoff, I and other local anglers are very bitter about the Wye and Usk and their gazumping of what were once local club waters.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
There's a salmon gillies site which has a daily report on the Wye conditions. It's also very honest reporting - too honest according to some! Not a lot of love there either for the WUF :) (see yesterdays report!)
Wye Daily Fishing Reports