river Dove 2014/15

john hooper

Reaction score
Had my first session last saturday at doveridge river very low (79cm) but not to clear. Fished the waggler because of the slow flow about 2/3rds across, did ok 1/2a dozen perch, a grayling, a chub and a rather nice brownie about a pound. Lets hope we get some rain soon to pick up the water levels. There was a early season report of a catch of 28chub in one session on this stretch, l'm not expecting a repeat that was anexceptional days sport.

john

john hooper

Reaction score
River fishing well today despite low levels, had around 30 mostly trout and grayling but including chub, dace perch and for the first time on this stretch (over 15years) 3 roach, only small but a good sign, the river is stuffed with fry good for the future hopefully.

john

nicepix

Reaction score
Cheers John.

I had a day down there on the DRAC book a about ten years ago. Lovely river, but a bit too far for me to travel at that time.

john hooper

Reaction score
Competition for a peg this morning with 3 people beating me to the river. Fishing a peg thats normally good for just one or two fish I managed several trout and grayling and 3 chub which included 2 clonkers around the 5lb mark, just about as big as they get around here so well pleased. It could have been better I lost the biggest grayling I've ever had on my line, looks like I'll have to try again next week and everyone else caught aswell, top fishing.

john

Steve2020

Reaction score
I'd love to fish the uttoxeter stretch John as its not far from my home (Stafford), I fished a stretch in Derbyshire as a guest on the Burton mutual but blanked and would love to change my fortunes, is the uttoxeter stretch day ticket?

john hooper

Reaction score
No but a kidsgrove anglers ticket is just £28 a year, may still be some left at just a tenner which lasts till jan 1st, enquire at tackle shops in stoke on trent.

john

john hooper

Reaction score
Just me and a friend this week, it was cold and foggy untill dinner time but not so as you couldn't see a float 20yds down the river, with no wind it was perfect conditions for trotting , the river was up a few centimeters and quite coloured but it run of quickly. Had another good day on the grayling and trout, 1lb plus the best grayling a gorgeous fish that put up a great scrap with the best brownie going about 2 1/2, lovely. Pity the chub didn't show but we both caught and had a good day. The number of grayling about bodes well for the winter fishing.

john

john hooper

Reaction score
Lovely day today and I had the river to myself but the fishing was a bit slow only had 1/2 dozen grayling and the odd trout , however I saved the best for the end of the day with a huge grayling which must have been around the 2lb mark, magnificent fish which put up a great scrap, had to hold it upright in the flow for a couple of minutes before it was ready to swim off.

john

john hooper

Reaction score
Blanked for the first time last sunday (I did loose one) had to get the ledger tackle out as the river was up and coloured, I hate quivertipping I'm **** at it I never know when to strike. Don't think I'll bother this weekend after all the rain, might go to the weaver which is allways fishable.

john

Steve2020

Reaction score
Blanked for the first time last sunday (I did loose one) had to get the ledger tackle out as the river was up and coloured, I hate quivertipping I'm **** at it I never know when to strike. Don't think I'll bother this weekend after all the rain, might go to the weaver which is allways fishable.

john
I've not used a strike action on the tip since i was a kid which is a very long time John :).
Just lift your rod and reel in at a moderate pace.

john hooper

Reaction score
Two other nutters beat me to the river today, surrounded by freezing fog, it didn't however put the grayling off I had around a dozen with three beauties around the pound mark, cracking mornings fishing despite the freezing conditions.

john

Reaction score
Hi john,been on a few sessions my self, on the dove at Doveridge fished it lower down on the fenton ticke, had a p.b. Chub of 6.5lb,on the boilie.been wandering to my self if there's any it that will be bigger lurking in there.?

john hooper

Reaction score
Never had a six, been close a couple of times but I think you will be lucky to bag a bigger chub this far up the dove.

john

yoffer

Reaction score
The Dove seems to be fishing really well for the grayling lately, that's a cracking chub from the Fenton stretch, it's not the easiest stretch of the dove and a right old trek too. Well done.

Steve2020

Reaction score
You guys are making me jealous, my local river sow is unfishable and has been for a number of weeks, it's poor at the best of times although i do like the challenge from time to time.
Do any of you fish the Burton mutual stretch of the dove bout 8 or 9 miles past Uttoxeter, sorry i can't remember the name of the area, there's a pillbox on the opposite side of the bank and the old bridge brick pillars are still across the river. I've only fished it once on a guest ticket which resulted in a few tiddlers but had a great day in terms of relaxing and taking in the views.

Last edited:

yoffer

Reaction score
I've never fished the Burton stretches of the dove, however I'm led to believe there stretches are where all the real big barbel are. I also keep looking at s-o-t angling club as the have quite a bit of the dove.

Incidentally has anybody ever produced a map showing the different clubs and stretches running the length of the dove, would be great to know who has the rights to the different sections along both banks.

Steve2020

Reaction score
I've never fished the Burton stretches of the dove, however I'm led to believe there stretches are where all the real big barbel are. I also keep looking at s-o-t angling club as the have quite a bit of the dove.

Incidentally has anybody ever produced a map showing the different clubs and stretches running the length of the dove, would be great to know who has the rights to the different sections along both banks.
I also get the same impression about the bigger barbel & the Burton stretches although I only really know 1 member and rarely see him anymore.
It's a great idea about a map of club stretches on the river it'd certainly save a lot of hassle & time asking around.

john hooper

Reaction score
Steve where are you fishing on the sow ?, I used to fish it on the marsh at stafford and through the town center, mostly very hard work but I had some good catches, chub to 5lb, perch to 2lb and roach catches of 20lb one memorable winter some years ago, was thinking of having another look is it worth it ?.

john