Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: A Sad Day

1. Default A Sad Day

Just returned from a trip to the Welland/Coronation channel. It's years since I fished there but thought I would make the three and a half hour round trip. Now, before I left I was wondering how weedy the waters would be. I imagined it would be much like the other Lincolnshire rivers at this time of the year.. Low, clear and very weedy and covered in floating duckweed. Have to say my expectations were met, and then some!
    What really depressed me though were the large piles of rubbish left along the channel approaching it's junction with the Welland. Loads of strong lager cans, of an East European origin, and various bottles, food wrappers and the like. Along with the usual fire/Barbecue remains. Pretty much all of the water is also unfishable. This is due to the overgrown banks and a solid reed bank along the entire length. I am sadly aware that this is fairly typical of a lot of English rivers but having fished a lot of them in their prime, from the mid sixties onwards, an experience like today is a real sickener. As I don't want to spend my time on commercials, then unfortunately a fair portion of the summer months are lost. A real shame as they are, or used to be, my favourite time of the year.

binka Guest

Default Re: A Sad Day

I was only thinking about the Welland the other day and how you never seem to hear about it these days, I only ever fished it along with the Coronation Channel in the early eighties when they were thriving match venues where you battled with the masses of bootlace eels if you weren't on one of the big bream or roach shoals, iirc the Welland was one of the waters where Billy Lane was very prolific.

Sad to hear it's come to all that though and we can only hope that, like many things, the tide turns at low tide too and things may improve to something resembling their former glory.

There is a bonus to it being overgrown in that it stops access to lots of river for undesirables who leave litter and no doubt take fish.

very sad indeed

Blog Entries

Last time I fished the Welland was when I lived in Lincolnshire as I had been told that there were a good number of Perch, I fished down towards Conningsby and although the weed wasn't to bad then the rubbish was, some of it was of the same EE origin as that you mention some of it though was obviously from anglers where they were from I don't know. Its a shame it has come to this and not a carp angler in sight
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Blog Entries

Ahhhh,but you know it was them,don't ya...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Ahhhh,but you know it was them,don't ya...
    Oh no I dont
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

I loved fishing the drains, being from Leicester as a young lad that's where we would end up most weekends fishing our club matches.

Glassmore bank and the 40ft at Ramsey were my favourites.

I'd like to head up that way again as its perhaps one of the last wilderness's for coarse angling in England left.