River stocking

Steve2020

Reaction score
I've just read an article in my local paper reporting that the EA have stocked the river sow in Stafford with 19,000 fish these include, barbel, chub and roach. In my opinion it's only a small quantity but very much a step in the right direction. Has anybody else heard of re stocking in any other rivers.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Keith M

Reaction score
I've just read an article in my local paper reporting that the EA have stocked the river sow in Stafford with 19,000 fish these include, barbel, chub and roach. In my opinion it's only a small quantity but very much a step in the right direction. Has anybody else heard of re stocking in any other rivers.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Yes they stocked thousands of these fish (Barbel, Chub, Roach etc.) into the Gt Ouse (and a few other rivers too) around 3 years ago.
These mainly small sized fish had dye on them so that they could study their movements up and down the rivers throughout the year and monitor their growth rates.

They also stocked some smallish Grayling into the upper Lea a couple of years ago too; which are occasionally being caught.

Keith

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
They also stocked some smallish Grayling into the upper Lea a couple of years ago too; which are occasionally being caught.

Keith

When was the last recorded capture of these Grayling Keith? I've heard they've all but disappeared.

Keith M

Reaction score
When was the last recorded capture of these Grayling Keith? I've heard they've all but disappeared.

There's been a few (very few) caught last year on the upper sections according to reports on the clubs (VAC) forum.

Keith

theartist

Reaction score
Thanks Keith given the footfall on those waters and how easy Grayling are to catch it would appear that they have done a runner somewhere, maybe looking for faster water as the upper Lea is way too slow in the summer for them.

Stockings are great for rivers but I do wonder where the logic as to which species go where.