Essex streams /rivers

steve2

Reaction score
Going to give Roding and other Essex rivers a try next season after a few years break. Rivers like the Wid, Ingrebourne, Pant, Blackwater. Does anyone on here still fish them?

john step

Reaction score
Not any more as I no longer live down South.

The mention of the Roding brings back fond memories of chub and roach as a junior member of the Collier Row AC. ( I wonder if it still exists).

Just shy of Ongar it was a Mr Crabtree paradise of features.

theartist

Reaction score
Are there and free stretches/day tickets on the rivers you mentioned Steve? If so I'll give them a crack. I have the Can at admirals park on my 'to do' list plus the Stort and Chelmer.

adarchist

Reaction score
Just to let you know that the local paper reported this week that otters will be re-introduced into the Roding. Not sure the exact spots but the local paper covers the Abridge/Loughton/Chigwell area. Definately Chub, Pike and Signal Crayfish in the river and i remember seeing a few carp when i was i lot younger.

theartist

Reaction score
That's ridiculous, all the research i've done into the Roding has lead me to believe that it is not got the highest stocks of fish. Releasing of Otters to such a small river would be downright stupid but wouldn't surprise me. They have to stop the introduction of Otters to areas where they will struggle for food as that is cruel. Be like putting your goldfish in a bucket and not feeding it.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Just to let you know that the local paper reported this week that otters will be re-introduced into the Roding. Not sure the exact spots but the local paper covers the Abridge/Loughton/Chigwell area. Definately Chub, Pike and Signal Crayfish in the river and i remember seeing a few carp when i was i lot younger.

That is utterly ridiculous :mad:

That's gonna cause all sorts of havoc, I can remember when the dam otters were introduced up on the Ouse valley and it caused absolute mayhem,

Take a look at Adams mill, the main uk barbel syndicate for huge barbel and got completely wiped out by Otters :eek:mg:

The syndicate was then dropped and went back to the normal club ticket of the Milton Keynes club,

Trevor Johnson offered me a place when it was syndicate and i turned it down because I obviously knew and could clearly see what was happening with the barbel,

If the officials release otters onto the Rodding valley the river will soon go down hill big time virtually to destruction and they'll start to move in on Stillwaters that are close by to the river valley :eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 17:40 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

That's ridiculous, all the research i've done into the Roding has lead me to believe that it is not got the highest stocks of fish. Releasing of Otters to such a small river would be downright stupid but wouldn't surprise me. They have to stop the introduction of Otters to areas where they will struggle for food as that is cruel. Be like putting your goldfish in a bucket and not feeding it.

Spot on, well said Rob :thumbs:

---------- Post added at 17:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

Going to give Roding and other Essex rivers a try next season after a few years break. Rivers like the Wid, Ingrebourne, Pant, Blackwater. Does anyone on here still fish them?

Hi fella,

I do know the rivers that you've mentioned but haven't fished em,

Most of my experience is on the Lea valley which I've fish for around the last 28 years :thumbs:

steve2

Reaction score
Have fished the Roding on and off for over 50 years, Many of my PB’s have come from it but when I last fished it had really started to go downhill due mainly to over abstraction and pollution. The fish were still there but not in great numbers.
If they are going to add otters to the list then they will tip the balance and could finish the river.

Don’t know of any free stretches on the Roding apart from in the Redbridge area

The Wid will be a nearly new one having not fished it for over 20years.

The Ingrebourne although a very small stream I have in the past caught chub over 3lbs from it. Free fishing in parks.

The Pant is another small stream out at Braintree it does contain a good head of chub dace and Trout, At one time it did have grayling but these died out years ago. Club water.

The Collier Row Club still exists I was a member for a few years

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
I live in Loughton, And can confirm the Roding this part is prity much dead.

I've tried under the fly over next to the Higgings building quite a number of times and have managed 1 small size pike but other then that not a single sniff.

Also a very large tree few years ago fell across the river and has cut it of heading towards Abridge.

Prity sure as well there quite a number of fish poaching that has happend, I've noticed burnt out fires and a ladder getting down into the river.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
The Roding at Stamford Rivers was a boys dream in the 50s & 60s. We had no money so never joined any of the clubs controlling the stretch but we were always careful to look after the water and never leave litter etc - so we considered ourselves excused! It was indeed a Crabtree paradise and produced specimen fish for me and most of my friends, chub, dace, roach, perch etc. I also caught my first fish on a fly there (dace) and learned to dap grasshoppers for chub.
On the odd trip through Aveley in recent years the near-chalk-stream of my memory is now a weed choked muddy ditch.

john step

Reaction score
The Roding at Stamford Rivers was a boys dream in the 50s & 60s. We had no money so never joined any of the clubs controlling the stretch but we were always careful to look after the water and never leave litter etc - so we considered ourselves excused! It was indeed a Crabtree paradise and produced specimen fish for me and most of my friends, chub, dace, roach, perch etc. I also caught my first fish on a fly there (dace) and learned to dap grasshoppers for chub.
On the odd trip through Aveley in recent years the near-chalk-stream of my memory is now a weed choked muddy ditch.

We may have crossed paths at Stanford Rivers. I used to haunt the place early 60s. Bus 175 from Romford. Half fare two and sixpence return I think.

steve2

Reaction score
Mine was on the 250 or 175 from Chase Cross until I got a bike. Use to poach or guest as they call it now on every section from Ongar to Abridge even on the mill pool at Passingford bridge.
It was lovely clean flowing river now shallow overgrown stream.
One stream I forgot about is the Mardyke as any one fished this?

john step

Reaction score
Going off post here but still relates to Essex fishing.

There were some very raw muddy sandpits (can't remember the name) a bus ride the other direction at Dagenham. Full of fish.

As a youngster I packed up one day about the rush hour time and the bus was full of full of office workers. I sat with my muddy pac- a -mac on and my equally muddy efgeeco box on my knees.

A woman in a nice white mac made the mistake of sitting next to me on the crowded bus.

You should have heard the stink she created when she realised her nice white mac had taken on the appearance of sandy muddy silt.

I had to beat a retreat and walk the last few stops.:eek:mg:

steve2

Reaction score
It might have been the Chase pits travelled to there on a bus.
Haven’t seen anyone with fishing tackle on public transport for years.

Those of you that fished the Roding back in those days and returned now wouldn’t recognise it as the same river.

adarchist

Reaction score
I live in Loughton, And can confirm the Roding this part is prity much dead.

I've tried under the fly over next to the Higgings building quite a number of times and have managed 1 small size pike but other then that not a single sniff.

Also a very large tree few years ago fell across the river and has cut it of heading towards Abridge.

Prity sure as well there quite a number of fish poaching that has happend, I've noticed burnt out fires and a ladder getting down into the river.

Yeah last time i was there, maybe November to January sometime, the ladder, BBQ/Burn marks and loads of empty cans of strong Eastern European lager were still there. That was the point where i saw the double figure carp 20 years ago, as you said the tree underneath the M11 probably isn't helping.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Every once in a blue moon I go through Abridge and have a little cry at the piddly little reedbed-ditch masquerading as a river. It was a Crabtree dream when I was a kid

john step

Reaction score
Every once in a blue moon I go through Abridge and have a little cry at the piddly little reedbed-ditch masquerading as a river. It was a Crabtree dream when I was a kid

Absolutely Geoff.
I used to catch the 175 to The White Bear, Stamford Rivers and spend the day in Crabtree heaven. I wish I had access to such a chub and roach mini river nowadays.
Even as a youngster with my one rod and porcupine quill I managed some good chub and roach and caught mini species I never see now.
Ruffe, bullheads, mini, loach.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Stamford Rivers - is where I taught myself about rivers. Caught my first chub, pike and dace there. First fish on a fly (Dace on a greenwells glory) and became pretty expert at dapping grasshoppers for chub. This little river was a training ground for watercraft - if the fish knew you were there, they were gone! :)