Fishing the Thames near Maidenhead

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm after some advice on fishing on the Thames - three generations of Hewitts are going on holiday to a house near the railway bridge in Maidenhead.

Can anyone advise on how best to fish and likely catches around there? We'll have three children with us aged 2, 4 and 5 and we're hoping to introduce them to fishing (although as an overprotective mum and mindful of the recent tragedy on the Stour, we'll be being extremely cautious)

Any fishing advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Kirsty,

It is not an area that I am too conversant wih but, in the light of the sad recent events, then a proper life jacket for each child is a necessity, regardless of how well they may swim.

As for the Thames, then maggot, corn and caster will all catch as well as worms and bread. It is alway worth ringing the changes in an effort to catch especally to keep the little ones interested.

When mine were that sort of age I'd never give them more than an hour fishing at a time without a break for a game or maybe some wild flower hunting, or anything to break the boredom

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I cannot begin to imagine as a parent how you could enjoy a fishing session by the river with such young toddlers, you’re not being over protective at all, I’m sure that poor father of Lucas let him out of his sight for less than a split second.

Although still a potential risk I’d opt for a shallow lake somewhere, there must be something in the area, we have a few members in that area who I’m sure can offer some advice.

theartist

Reaction score
Good Luck Kirsty I'd just keep it simple with maggot/float, even if there's bleak about the kids will love it just make sure there's plenty of freebies gong in, this should draw in anything. If the house is on the main channel there will be endless chop from the boats and if it's too busy this could affect the fishing though so evenings may be better

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great advice everybody - thanks. We will definitely be making sure the kids wear life jackets at all times, and I doubt the fishing with them will last very long.

I'd like to get out fishing with my dad too, once they're asleep hopefully! Good point about the boats - we've hired one so will try fishing from that too. Looking forward to it!

Any particular spots around there anybody can recommend?

theartist

Reaction score
The weirs are always the go to places with a boat, but on the safety aspect again they are dangerous and noisy and maybe not the place with small kids on board.

If it's just adults, in the town you got Boulters weir, I've never fished that one it but it's got the usual species, or if your based above the town the next up is Cookham weir which I've fished many a time, both of these weirs are unusual on the Thames as they both have public access so the banks will be busy. The latter also splits into three channels one of which is private water and the weir may have anglers on both banks already. If the weirs aren't fishable try the runs below before the main boat channels start as that will offer flat water, with a boat you can explore so much of the Thames where bank access is restricted

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, this is really helpful! I'll post some pics if we manage to catch anything :)

Loz2286

Reaction score
I believe the stretch by the Sounding Arch is free fishing. If not to upstream towards the lock and the causeway is free, as is Boulter's Island. I'd suggest a point of two of white maggots and some bread, mounted on to light rigs with small hooks, and the kids will be Bleak bashing in no time.