Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  309
Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Default Re: River Ribble

We're still reading the reports!! John Conway clearly must be doing something else - someone PM him and make sure he's OK? The Ribble fish-ins were pivotal in my Ribble experience. While I'm here - last Weds, river NSL despite recent downpours. 2 barbel 5ish, 3 chub to 4.15 (yes I weighed it) all on Barbel gear, sonu 'tuff 1' pellets, feeders full of tench spod mix from recent sessions and micro pellets. I mainly chub fish but this was fun in midweek when there is no circus.

Date 22.7.11
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 4pm till 10 pm
    Weather conditions: Mainly bright and warm.
    Water conditions : River looked good, up a few inches and a bit of colour
    Bait - maggot & hemp, corn.
    Air temp N/T
    Water temp: N/T
    Method: Waggler

Another struggle on the float. There were dace and roach about and lots of bites but no quality fish at all and got pestered by minnows. Casters might have helped avoid the real small stuff.

I even managed an eel on corn. Put the feeder rod out for the last hour and a half of so. Managed 6 more eels!

Wasn't a stretch I am familiar with so only the second time I have been on it, so I was fishing it little blind.

PS - Saw John on there and he's fine and still knocking about.

3. Default Re: River Ribble

Date 24.7.11
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 5.15 pm till 11.00 pm
    Weather conditions: dry ,sunny ,partly cloudy
    Water conditions :EA River level website 1.12 m (Samlesbury) at 3 pm
    Bait -micro pellets in feeder and pellet hookbait
    Air temp N/A @ start of session
    Water temp: N/A @ start of session
    Result: 1 Barbel

With the low river i decided to walk upstream where the water flows alittle faster.
    Quite a few on the bank though not many fishing upstream.Not much action ,though pleasant to be sat out under the sun .Only bite came on the upstream rod at 21.45 which turned out to be a 4 lb Barbel.
    My tackle breaking continued when i cracked my landing net handle though still usable until i find a good replacement.

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 ----------

Date 25.7.11
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 8.30 pm till 11.00 pm
    Weather conditions: dry ,sunny ,partly cloudy
    Water conditions :EA River level website 1.04 m (Samlesbury) at 3 pm
    Bait -micro pellets in feeder and garlic pellet hookbait
    Air temp N/A @ start of session
    Water temp: N/A @ start of session
    Result: 1 Barbel

Thought i would try my luck during a short session after work.Bank was quieter than day before.Conditions much the same with the low level.Fished two rods the upstream rod was the one which saw the action.First fish 6 lb 7 oz which i have just realised was same weight as the first fish i caught this season from the same peg.Then lost two fish in quick succession within twenty minutes of first fish.All on same rod ,same area ,first lost due to what i can only think was a bad knot and second lost when line must have brushed against some rocks .
    Spoke to another angler who had caught 2 and lost 4 .
    Will stick to short sessions just before darkness for now until it starts getting darker earlier as thats when the action seems to start.
    Hopefully more of the same next weekend.

Date 26.7.11
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 6.45 pm till 10:30 pm
    Weather conditions: Dry, warm and bright
    Water conditions : NSL or a little below
    Bait - pellet
    Air temp N/T
    Method: Single feeder rod
    Results: 8 barbel, 3 large trout and 1 eel

Another short session after work and a very pleasant evening to be out on the river and a stunning sunset too.

The river was low, but also alive with fish topping and crashing out. I’ve not seen it so lively for a while. I left the float rod at home, but it looked like a good night to be on it. However, after my recent float outings it was never in much danger of making the trip tonight.

There were clearly fish in front of me too, as I started getting big knocks and twangs immediately and it wasn’t long before I had my best fish of the night at 7lb 14oz.
    I had another smaller one shortly after and then it went quiet for an hour. 2 lovely big brown trout snatched my bait on the drop before I caught well till it was time to make tracks, with my last fish being 7lb 10oz. I also pulled out of one barbel as it went on its first run and managed another trout and of course, no summer session would be complete, without an eel.

Date 3.8.11
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 6.20 pm till 10:20 pm
    Water conditions : very low. Below NSL.
    Bait - pellet
    Air temp N/T
    Results: 7 barbel and 3 chub

Another really enjoyable evening session. The river was very low but I managed to get on a peg a friend has fished a fair bit, which he tells me is good at normal summer level.

The bright conditions not surprisingly meant a slow start with just one decent chub in the first hour and a half. But I kept plugging away relentlessly. I know with the method I use, if the fish do move in or switch on, it can produce some fantastic and hectic sport with the shoal size fish. As the sun dropped below the trees, the swim came alive.

I had 2 barbel in two casts then a short interlude and then the swim produced really steadily. I managed 3 barbel over 6lb, with the best 8lb 8oz and the best chub 4lb 11oz.
    I’ve not normally even threatened my feeder rod on the river at this time of the year. Last season it was mid to late September I think, before I even took a feeder rod with me. Now I’m finding it hard to leave it behind and have a go back on the waggler. That, I guess, is why fishing is so addictive!

Date 9.8.11
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 6.20 pm till 10:20 pm
    Water conditions : NSL.
    Bait - pellet
    Air temp N/T
    Results: 5 barbel and 2 chub

Having seen the forecast for the week, I decided this evening was the only one which looked dry and the river certain to be fishable.

I tried a peg I’d not been on before, although I have fished one in the same area in the past. That time, it only really got going as dusk approached when the barbel showed and this time was no different with a very similar pattern.

For the first hour and a quarter the swim was dead with no indications of life at all, so it was a case of keep feeding the swim and hoping it would improve as the sun dropped. One or two taps and knocks suggested things were on the up but it was slow to get going. I managed to pick up 2 chub by 9pm both around 3.5lb to 4lb size.

The frequency of the taps and bangs had increased steadily though and a big drop back resulted in the best fish and season's best at 9lb 1oz. I had 4 more barbel in the last hour, the best of which was 6lb 14oz.

Plus, a first for me on the ribble tonight. Midway through the session, I kept hearing some movement on the far bank in the deep undergrowth. I then found out what it was, as I spotted a deer crashing through the trees and vegetation as it spooked and charged off upstream.

Date 24.8.11
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 2:45 pm till 8:45 pm
    Weather conditions: Heavy downpours, dry and bright later
    Bait - Hemp, caster, pellet and corn
    Air temp N/T
    Method: Waggler

Had time off with the family so this was the first of two sessions on the river and back on the waggler. I fished a new stretch, so with no real knowledge of the pegs I wasn't expecting too much. However it turned out to be the best float session of the season by a long way.
    No bites for 25 mins, but then started getting roach and some very nice ones around the pound mark. I had a good spell during the moody wet conditions and the highlight was a decent chub of about 4lb, before things went a bit quiet as it brightened up.

After a short break I had a good evening session with loads of bites, albeit the chublets had found me. They fed well, with just odd decent dace and roach mixed in.
    In all I had around 10 qualiy roach around about a pound. I think all of which came to the caster. 4 big dace, a big chub and countless small chub and a number of smaller roach early on.

A long walk to the peg, but well worth it.

---------- Post added at 12:38 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Date 25.8.11
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 10:15 till 2 pm
    Weather conditions: Dry, hot and sunny
    Bait - pellet & corn
    Air temp N/T
    Results: 1 barbel and 1 chub and one big brown trout at 2lb 10oz

Having spent the previous day stood mid river in waders, today was supposed to an easy day on the feeder rod. I could only fish late morning to late afternoon and was committed to being home for early evening.

In hindsight the conditions were against me and I'd probably have been as well to float fish again. But with no bait to hand and limited time spare it couldn't be done. Things started quite well with a 6.5lb barbel after less then 20 mins, but as the sun rose and the temp got unconfortably warm, the activity in the swim slowed down.

I took a very nice brown trout that snatched the pellet on the drop and it put up a great scrap. I am pretty sure that's the biggest brownie I've had from the ribble. A chub of 3.5 to 4lb followed shortly after before the swim died.

2 hours without a bite and I decided an early exit and earning some brownie points being home early was the best move to make. There will be far easier days to catch a few fish and who knows, it might just earn me and evening session next week....
    Last edited by Paul C; 29-08-2011 at 12:42.

Date 31.8.11
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 6:30 till 10:10 pm
    Weather conditions: Dry, calm and overcast
    Bait - pellet
    Air temp N/T
    Results: 1 barbel and 2 chub

I thought the dry overcast conditions might be quite good tonight, but it didn't really turn out that way. I missed out on the pegs I hoped to fish so settled for 3rd choice, which fished well for me last time, but isn't quite so consistent at low level.

Very little activity from the outset and it took an hour before I landed a chub that I didn't even get a bite from. I just picked up the rod to recast and it was on!

I had odd little rattles and taps over the next hour and a half, but it was by far the quietest of my evening sessions. I had another chub and then on the edge of dark a barbel which was also a shy bite that I struck at.

After that the tip was motionless bar the odd bat hiting the line. slightly frustrating overall, but more because I had hopes of an active evening I think.

9. Default Re: River Ribble

Hello everyone, long time no post!
    These days my Ribble barbelling trips tend to be short evening affairs starting at 7.30pm and ending at 9.30 pm. No great catches in terms of numbers but I've only had one blank this season. My fishing buddy on these trips usually starts at about 5 pm and over the last few weeks has done well right from the off. I think that he has caught first cast on 4 occasions recently. Yesterday he had his first double figure barbel at 10-4, well chuffed as you might imagine, and happily the old boy here was not totally out-fished as he had a 10-3.
    We are sticking to the tried and trusted formula of small pellets with pellet groundbait in the feeder and pellet boilies on the hair rig. However it seems to have become imperative to wrap the boilie in paste. I make it by simply tipping equal amounts of ground pellets, ground hemp and method mix groundbait into a bowl, add some chilli powder and a beaten egg, mash together with a fork and dampen to get a consistency that will stick on during the cast.

Date 14.9.11
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 5:40 till 10:35 pm
    Weather conditions: Showers and overcast, clearing later.
    Water conditions : About a foot above NSL and rising slowly.
    Bait - pellet
    Air temp N/T
    Results: 16 barbel, 2 chub, 1 trout and 1 eel.

A rather wet evening, but the rain is less noticeable when the fishing is so good.

First fish was a really good chub after 20 mins. It weight 5lb 8oz which was a nice start to the evening and my best chub for several years. Over the next 45 mins I had two smallish barbel, but those aside I was getting absolutely loads of big bangs and it really felt like I should have been getting more takes than I was.

So, I moved down several hook sizes and used a smaller pellet. The change made an immediate difference with a barbel within 30 seconds of going back in. After that I caught steadily till dark. I had 7 barbel and 1 chub as the light went. Then I had a real purple patch. I had a take within 2 mins every put in, for a good spell. The only slight downside was the banking had churned up with the rain which made the peg a bit messy and very slippy playing and returning fish. The river was rising slowly and came up probably 3 or 4 inches.

Just before 10pm the clouds cleared away and a full moon shone. I didn't get a bite after that till I packed in.

I also got some better fish into dark. The best 4 were over 7lb, with one 8lb 12, 7lb 11, 7lb 8oz and 7lb 6oz. I also lost 2 fish, one to a hook pull and one to a frayed hooklength.

I should be back on the river Friday, but it’s certain to be a float session next.

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast