Time: 1:30pm till 5:45pm
    Weather conditions: warm and sunny
    Water conditions : About 10 inches up and lots of colour. Risingf slightly
    Bait - hemp, maggot and corn
    Air temp - n/t
    Water temp: n/t
    Method: Float
    Results: around 25 dace, 6 small chub and 4 roach

A quick float session which I cut short a little when it started lightening and the weather turned.

Slow again and just not enough action or bites. Fish came and went and the majority of the fish came in the last 2 hours when I switched to maggot from caster / corn.

No decent size fish either albeit it's never been much of a peg for larger chub to be honest, but they did used to be plentiful with odd barbel showing too.

This could be my last session for the month as I switch now to child duties and some time away with them. If I take the lads fishing over the holidays I won't be doing any myself as I'll be supervising I suspect!

Default Re: Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

Date 13.9.12
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 16:30 till 22:20
    Weather conditions: Overcast but mild
    Water conditions : 0.66m at Ribchester
    Bait – pellet & corn
    Air temp – n/t
    Method: Single feeder rod
    Results: 9 barbel, 1 large roach, 1 eel

It's been a long time since I was out! I've had my two boys for the last 4 weeks and then I had to pick my day this week as my hope was to fish the day before, but the level was rising fast. After such a long abscence it was nice to manage to fish a favourite peg.

I caught fairly steady through the evening although it was a bit quieter into dark than it was prior.

I started fairly slow and switched to very small baits and caught immediately once I changed and had 3 barbel in a short space of time.

All evening the bigger baits wouldn't entice a take, so despite having plenty of lead on the feeder the end tackle was small hook small bait and it made a difference.

The last fish of the session was my best at 8lb 14oz. I also lost two, one to a break and another to a hook pull late on.

My roach was a nice surprise and weighed 1lb 7oz.

The kids are back with me next week, so it might be a fortnight now before I can venture out again...

Date 28.9.12
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 14:30 till 21:00
    Weather conditions: Showery and blustery winds
    Water conditions : 0.65m at Ribchester and holding steady
    Bait – pellet & corn
    Air temp – n/t
    Method: Single feeder rod
    Results: 7 barbel, 2 chub, 1 large roach, 1 dace, 4 brown trout

A friend of mine fancied a session on the river, so I took him on. He's rarely fished it and not in recent times, so I wanted to get a few fish between us.

We shared a decent size peg, so I could provide a little guidance where needed. Things got off to a slow start with very little activity early doors. My mate had a nice barbel first and I was having field day with some big brown trout!

It took a fair bit longer than normal to get the swim going. It may have been because there were two of us on the one peg. After a couple of hours I started to catch fairly steady and a few chub showed up. We had 4 between us.

No sizeable barbel, my mates first being the best of the day and he had the best chub at 4lb 4oz, so he was happy enough.

Some very heavy downpours came into dark and we were lucky to pack up and get back to the car between them.

Paul...can I just say thank you for these reports. They are always an excellent read and carry on the tradition started by John Conway in a fine manner. Ta mate!
    He is every other inch a gentleman.

Thanks Paul. I wish I could get out more often!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
    Thanks Paul. I wish I could get out more often!!
    Hey Paul, I enjoy reading your results myself. I fish the ribble quite often and so it's good to hear how others are going on.

Hello Paul,
    I too like fishing the Ribble, but have never fished it at Ribchester before. Is this a day ticket stretch or a club stretch, I want to try different places on the river but many are club waters that don't allow day tickets, or involve long walks to swims, which I can no longer do. Any info would be great as my usual stretches have been pretty dire of late. I fished behind the Capitol centre yesterday where the Darwen flows in and didn't have a thing in 8 hours. I am persistent if nothing else.
    Chris

The Ribchester village front stretch is a day ticket water which you can buy from the villages SPAR. You can park quite near; in front of the church (make sure you make a donation!). There is another day ticket stretch if you drive towards Ribchester Bridge and head down towards the log seller. He sells tickets for the stretch between the bridge and his farm.
    WWF = 170,000 members, PETA = 750,000 members, RSPB = 1,000,000 members..... Angling Trust maybe 10,000.....

Thankyou for the reply Matthew, much appreciated, which one would you recommend for this time of year as a worthwhile stretch to fish.
    Cheers
    Chris.

Chris,

I'm afraid I can't really help there because I tend to fish further down as a member of RADAC. Both stretches seem to get well used so I think you'd have a reasonable day on either.

The stretches are only about 10 minutes drive apart and you can see all of the village stretch from your car so you can have a look and see how many anglers there are and take your pick.

As far as the village stretch is concerned most visitors prefer the deeper water which is at the downstream end.

Hope this helps: Day Tickets

Matthew
    WWF = 170,000 members, PETA = 750,000 members, RSPB = 1,000,000 members..... Angling Trust maybe 10,000.....

Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast