Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

The bad one

Reaction score
Well mate you had as many as Wayne and I combined last night. Sadly we didn't hit the 5 mark either of us:(
Must agree the future of the river does look very good with the spread of year classes we're now getting. Now what was that story you were telling me about the river being written off by some? ??? ???

Last edited:

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Tuesday 10/02/15
Venue:... Ribble
Time fished:...16:30:00hrs 22:30hrs
Weather conditions:... Overcast, no wind, no moon.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.4M.
Air temperature:... 7.5C dropping to 2C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 8.8C
Bait:... Crust & Crust/cheese paste
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 50M out – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread. Downstream Rod Crust and or crust/cheese paste and feeder filled with liquidised bread.
Results:... Seven Chub best 3lb-12oz and one Barbel 9lb-14oz.
Brief description of the session & remarks:… I was the only one fishing this stretch it was very quiet on a low and clear river. No bites until after dusk then steady away with the first chub 2lb-11oz coming at 17:10hrs and the last fish of the session was a nice 9lb-14oz barbel. All the fish were caught on crust.

Date:.. Thursday 12/02/15
Time fished:...15:30:00hrs 22:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Overcast with slight breeze, no moon
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.39M.
Air temperature:... 7.6C dropping to 3C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 7.4C
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 50M out – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread. Downstream Rod Crust and or crust/cheese paste and feeder filled with liquidised bread.
Results:... Four Chub best 3lb-8oz.
Brief description of the session & remarks:… There were four other anglers on the river when I arrived but I was the only one staying after dusk, again on a low and clear river. Very slow with very few bites. The first chub came at 18:15hrs and the last at 21:40hrs. In the damp chilled breeze I soon felt the cold and was happy to leave at 22:00hrs with four chub, unfortunately none over the 4lb+ mark

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Tuesday 17/02/15
Weather conditions:... Hazy cloud, strong breeze, no moon.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.49M.
Air temperature:... 6.9C dropping to 4C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 8.2C
Results:... One Chub 3lb-14oz.
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Another quick trip down to the Ribble, quick being 1-1/2hrs from starting my van to first cast. Hard work very few knocks all for one 3lb-14oz chub. There were a few other lads out and everyone found it hard going with only one or two fish for their sessions. Back home by mid-night, dentist first thing tomorrow morning.

Date:.. Friday 20/02/15
Weather conditions:... Overcast, odd cold shower, light breeze, no moon.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.7M.
Air temperature:... 6.3C dropping to 2C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 8.1C
Bait:... Crust & Halibut Pellet/cheese paste
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 50M out – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet/cheese paste and PVA bag filled with micro pellets and halibut ground bait.
Results:... One Chub 3lb-13oz and one Barbel 7lb-10oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Hard time with just two bites for one Barbel and a Chub. The river looked OK with a water temp of 8.1C, hence the barbel, but towards the end of the session there were a couple of very cold showers with a wee bit of sleet in them. Temp back at the car park was 2C and by the time I'd got home at mid-night it was down to zero. Some snow on the hills in the morning.

greenie62

Reaction score
Date:.. Friday 06/03/15
Venue:... Ribble -Samlesbury
Time fished:...10:30 - 17:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Overcast cloud giving way to sunshine, gusty Southerly breeze.
Water conditions:... EA River level at Samlesbury 1.5m @ 10:00 falling.
Air temperature:... max 12C dropping to 8C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 7C
Bait:... Maggots, Corn, Crust&Flake, Halibut pellet/cheese paste
Method:.. 2 rods one fished 15M out – Upstream crust and cheese paste wrapped halibut 8mm pellet with PVA bag of 4.5mm pellets; t'other trotted maggot, corn, paste, flake and - in desparation - lobworm.
Results:... One Perch 16" long - not weighed.
Brief description of the session & remarks:… End-of-season dabble on Ribble. Upstream wind made the swim difficult - no body else on stretch. Not a touch on ledger, nor on float until in desparation tried bumping a lob along the reeds in 5' of water - one touch - one Perch - no scales! :eek:mg::eek:mg:
IMG_1170c_zpsg6khilli.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

greenie62

Reaction score
Date:.. Thursday 12/03/15
Venue:... Ribble - Mitton
Time fished:...13:30 - 17:30hrs
Weather conditions:... Very overcast cloud giving way to more cloud, gusty Southerly breeze - drizzle held off 'til packing the car.;)
Water conditions:... EA River level at Henthorn 0.67m @ 10:00 falling.
Air temperature:... max 13C dropping to 9C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 6.7C
Bait:... Corn, Crust&Flake, Halibut pellet/cheese paste, Lobworm
Method:.. 1 rod fished 1 - 5m out – trotted corn, paste, flake and lobworm. Held back and bumped down slack side of crease.
Results:... One Chub 20" long - 1.8Kg (near 4lb in old money).
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Another end-of-season dabble on Ribble. Upstream wind made the surface very choppy - no body else on stretch.Tried bumping a lob along the bottom in 5' of water on swirlback side of crease - one touch - one Chub - stubborn fighter - locked himself across the current - didn't want to come to Daddy! :eek::D

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Friday 06/03/15
Weather conditions:... Sunny but with a cold breeze clouding over at dusk. Hazy moon when it came out
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.7M.
Air temperature:... 13.6C dropping to 7C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 9C
Bait:... Bread Flake, Crust & Crust/cheese paste
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 50M out – Upstream Rod Bread Flake and Crust and feeder filled with liquidized bread, hemp & micro pellets. Downstream Rod Pellet/Cheese Paste and feeder filled with liquidized bread hemp & micro pellets.
Results:... Three Chub 4lb; 5lb-9oz and 3lb-1oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… The car park was almost full when I arrived. There were eight angles fishing, most of whom left at dusk. Some chub and barbel were caught during the day but the consensus was it was hard going. Started getting knocks at dusk and the first chub came at 18:55hrs the two larger chub I caught on bread flake and the smaller one on the downstream rod when I changed over from pellet/cheese paste to crust for the last hour. The 5lb-9oz chub made the session well worth the effort.

Date:.. Sunday 08/03/15
Weather conditions:... Sunny with cool breeze, bright moon just before packing up
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.48M.
Air temperature:... 10.7C dropping to -1C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 8C
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 50M out – Upstream Rod Bread Flake and Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread, hemp & micro pellets. Downstream Rod Crust/Cheese Paste and feeder filled with liquidised bread hemp & micro pellets.
Results:... One Chub 2lb-6oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… What started out as a good day, one 2lb-6oz chub second cast literally froze up on me at dusk. As soon as the sun set, the temperature plummeted from 10C to -1C. My rod tips never moved a millimetre from dusk until I packed in at 22:30hrs. When I switch on my headlamp to pack up, myself and my gear, were all covered in ice crystals and my landing net was frozen solid and stuck to the ground. Still very cold up here in the Dales, let’s hope it warms up a bit before my next trip, and last of the season, to the Ribble on Tuesday or Thursday?

Date:.. Thursday 12/03/15
Time fished:...14:30:00hrs 24:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Overcast with hazy sun, clouding over at dusk and heavy rain @ 20:00hrs
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.61M.
Air temperature:... 13.2C dropping to 5.5C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 8.1C
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 30M out – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidized bread, hemp & micro pellets. Downstream Rod Crust/Cheese Paste and feeder filled with liquidized bread hemp & micro pellets.
Results:... Eight Chub to 4lb-15 (four over 4lb) and one Barbel 12lb-2oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Last trip of 2014/15 season as the weather is not looking too good for the last couple of days. First chub came at 16:15 hrs then it was steady away up to the end of the session with the last chub coming at 23:45hrs. At 20:10hrs I'd a 12lb-2oz Barbel on crust/cheese paste which is a new PB for me by 2oz. The last few hours were miserable with heavy rain which eventually made the flog back up the hill out of the woods to the car park hard work, but at least it had stopped raining for a while.

Well another dollar, another day and the end of another season, roll on 16th June

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Monday 16/06/15
Time fished:... 00:00hrs 06:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Light cloud, no wind no moon.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.3M and steady.
Air temperature:... 11.4C.
Water Temperature:... 20.5C
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 50M out – Upstream Rod Bread Flake and feeder filled with liquidised bread and sweetcorn. Downstream Rod Crust/Cheese Paste and feeder filled with liquidised bread hemp & micro pellets. Loose fed both swims with micro pellets half an hour before mid-night.
Results:... Four Chub best 4lb-10 and 4lb-9oz.
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Here we go again another dollar another day and another start to another season. I got off to a good start with the best chub coming just 15 mins after casting in at mid-night on my downstream rod to crust and cheese paste. The rest came on my upstream rod on bread flake. I caught all the chub during the hours of darkness, with the last one at 2:45hrs. It’s always good to be back on the river after the close season especially with two chub over the 4lb mark.

greenie62

Reaction score
..... It’s always good to be back on the river after the close season especially with two chub over the 4lb mark.

Glad your on again John! - but please leave a few for the needy! ;):rolleyes::D
You can keep all the slugs you can catch though! :puke::eek::eek:mg:
Tight Lines :thumbs:

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Thursday 18/06/15
Time fished:... 22:30hrs 06:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Overcast, no wind until the dawn then quite breezy with the odd spot of rain, no moon.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.34M and falling.
Air temperature:... 15.3C dropping to 13.5C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 17.5C
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 50M out – Upstream Rod Bread Flake and feeder filled with liquidised bread and sweetcorn. Downstream Rod Crust/Cheese Paste and feeder filled with liquidised bread hemp & micro pellets. Loose fed both swims with micro pellets.
Results:... Three Chub best 4lb-1oz.
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Another trip down to the Ribble but this time a much slower start than on opening day The first chub didn't come until 02:00hrs not counting an eel caught at mid night and the last at 03:05hrs, then nothing for the last three hours, not even a knock, not counting the bat twitches at dusk and dawn. There are some quite large bats on the Ribble.

Reaction score
Good to have you back John.

Attended a Ribble Open day run by a large angling club ;-). Afterwards myself ...and a couple of well know "characters" had a return to our childhoods. leaning over bridge nearby...lovely group of barbel...and more encouraging a nearby shoal of smaller stuff .

Won't be on UK rivers until September...good fortune for the rest of the season :)

Paul C

Reaction score
Date 21.6.15
Section River Ribble
Time: 18:15 till 22:10
Weather conditions: Dry & mild
Water conditions : Low and clear
Bait – hemp, caster, corn & maggot
Air temp – NT
Water temp: NT
Method: Waggler
Results: 7 barbel & 3 dace

First trip out and I opted for a double session with a kip in the car in between.

The silver fish were absent bar 3 dace and two of those were my only capture in the first hour and a half until I had a barbel of about 5lb. It was quiet again after but I ended with a really good flurry and the best stamp of barbel I've ever had float fishing by some margin.

My second fish was a very nice 8lb 8oz fish and then a fabulous brace of doubles. It was my first double figure barbel on the float and two came one after the other at 10lb 4oz and then 10lb 6oz.
My three other fish were 7lb 4oz, 8lb 7oz and another at 8lb 8oz all of which took corn and had I been able to see in the dark, I would certainly have added to that, as the swim was still going strong till the death.

I was somewhat buoyant as I made the long walk back to the car and my right arm was throbbing and aching from some proper scraps! I've switched rods from what I was using last year as I pulled out of too many better fish and I was more than happy with the new choice with no hook pulls.

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

Date 22.6.15
Section River Ribble
Time: 5:30 till 10:00am
Weather conditions: Showery
Air temp – NT
3 barbel, 5 chub, 8 or 9 dace and 1 big roach

Part 2 - I opted for a different type of swim for the morning, a shallow fast glide that certainly holds barbel, but also hopefully a few chub and dace.

I had a reasonable chub early on and a few more dace put in an appearance than yesterday but it was patchy and perhaps a peg that's bit too low and clear for today. I managed one barbel of around 5.5lb or so and also lost a running fish that I think was a foul hooked chub.

I decided to move after 2 hours, to fish the last couple of hours in the peg from the evening prior.
Same peg, but this morning it was more chub than barbel. I managed 4 good chub on either maggot or caster, the best of which was 4lb 2oz.

The barbel made an appearance later in the morning and again they were bumper fish with the two from this peg being over 8lb. A nice surprise was one solitary roach and this too was huge bonus at 1lb 13oz.

Two very enjoyable float sessions ended slightly early as my line had had enough of the clutch and presented me with a birds nest at the reel. Added to the fact I had about half an hours worth of loose feed left, I took that as my cue to call it quits.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Wednesday 24/06/15
Time fished:... 22:00hrs 06:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Overcast, no wind, moon obscured by cloud.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 15:00hrs @ NJR 0.29M and steady.
Air temperature:... 16.7C dropping to 15C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 19.8C
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 50M out – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread and sweetcorn. Downstream Rod Crust/Cheese Paste and feeder filled with liquidised bread hemp & micro pellets.
Results:... Two Chub 4lb-4oz & 4lb-1oz.
Brief description of the session & remarks:… The river was low and very calm and although there was cloud cover over a half moon, at this time of the year it never really gets dark. Only two chub the first coming at 00:45hrs and the last at 04:00hrs, however, I lost two from hook pulls. One chub on Crust and one on Crust/Cheese Paste. It was quite a pleasant evening, rain threatening but not arriving and another two 4lb+ chub.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Sunday 28/06/15
Time fished:... 22:00hrs 06:30hrs
Weather conditions:... Overcast, no wind, moon obscured by cloud.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.27M and steady.
Air temperature:... 16.5C rising to 17.9C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 21.2C
Bait:... Crust & Halibut Pellet/cheese paste
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 50M out – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread and sweetcorn. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet/Cheese Paste and feeder filled with liquidised bread & sweetcorn. Last four hours changed feeder for PVA Bag filled with micro pellets.
Results:... Five Barbel and two Dace
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Another night trip on the Ribble, **** for chub but I'd five barbel to 8lb-12oz and two dace. All the barbel came to halibut pellet/cheese paste in the hours of dark and the two dace to crust in daylight. We need some rain, the barbel needed a few minutes to revive before pushing then out into the main flow, all be it a very slow flow. A lot of care needed when river temps are high. This is not unusual when the water temp gets above 20C and that night it was 21.2C. It’s a pity the EA don't give water temps on their river level page!

greenie62

Reaction score
Had a few hours 'sunbathing' on the Tickled Trout stretch yesterday afternoon/evening - struggled to even get a dace on the float! Tried paste-wrapped Halibut pellet on the feeder - One cracking bite - 3FT - nowt! - other than 3ton of weed!
Examination of the weed - as I picked it off the end-tackle - showed it was crawling with plenty of little shrimps - plenty of nosh for something!

Lots of weed and grass coming down the river in the early evening - who's got a working party on in this weather?

Couple of salmon doing aerobatics in the middle of the river.

Agree with John - needs a bit of a flush through with some new water - this stuff is used!

Tight Lines!

Paul C

Reaction score
Date 1.7.15
Section River Ribble
Time: 18:45 till 22:20
Weather conditions: Too hot
Air temp – NT
Results: 6 barbel, 12 dace, 1 chublet and 1 big brown trout

6 barbel but really it should have been 16. In a nutshell I got mullered!

I started in a deeper peg but I could see fish crashing out in the shallower water, so after a wasted hour I moved.

I’ve not fished this peg before but I know others who have and despite their warnings that it a tough one to play fish in due to the obstacles, I was a bit too light with my mainline and hooklengths, despite them being good enough to land the better fish from the deeper clear swims.
It’s a shallow pacey run but there are boulders and snags to really test the end tackle.

I got them feeding really well but for each fish I caught I lost one and I wasted far too much of the evening tackling up and redoing hooklengths etc
I could see barbel flashing 5 yards below me, a few rod lengths from where I was waded and several crashed out. There were clearly big numbers of them feeding well but it’s a bit of hit and hold swim as they dart upstream and the line can get a battering on the rocks and boulders.

I weighed two at 7lb 15 and 8lb 2oz with the rest being in the region of 6 to 7lb.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You caught 6 fish but it should have been 16....so you left 10 fish trailing hooks and line ?
Surely it's bad practice to carry on targetting them knowing full well your more than likely gonn'a leave them trailing tackle !