Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

greenie62

Reaction score
...Not a bad day considering it was my first trip out targeting the ribble carp.

Nice one Steve,
Good to hear another local on this site. :)

Nice write-up on the Ribble Carp Hunt - keep us abreast of your progress.

PS: Posting pics on this site shouldn't be a prob for you - much the same as W&DAA forum - use Photobucket for web-storage.

Tight Lines :thumbs:

ribble rover

Reaction score
River Ribble above Preston Sun 23/10/16
Time 16:00-21.30
Weather conditions Cold easterly Wind Very Low Clear River Conditions

Bait Pellet, Meat
Method Two rods Groundbait Feeder

First session on the River since March 16 and despite low water conditions, I still fancied my chances. Had nothing in the day on Maggot feeder and switched to Ground bait feeder just before nightfall (17:50hrs). I had Meat on upstream rod and 14mm Pellet on my downstream rod. The first hour of darkness passed without any indication, and I started to get worried. Despite fishing hard and a number of tactic changes, I couldn't buy a bite, and there was no signs of life at all on the river. I decided I would fish until 21.30 and pack in if no action. True to form, my downstream rod sprung into life on luncheon meat at 21.25hrs and I hooked a small chub about 2.5Lb, however I lost it to a hook pull at the net. This wasn't going to be my night, cold and disheartened, I decided to call it a day.

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

River Ribble above Preston Thu 24/10/16

Weather Mild Air temp 14c Very Low River Levels
Time 16.00- 23.00hrs
Method Ground bait Feeder two rods

Bait Pellet, Meat, Pepperami, and Prawns

Decided to give the river another chance after my poor last outing on Sunday.
Again, caught nothing in the day and the first hour of dark produce nothing and no indication. A double blank was looking ominous! However, the weather was mild and it was a pleasant evening on the river,so I decided to persevere. I started to get some sharp plucks on meat, but they wouldn't take the hook, so I scaled down to a small piece of pepperami and switched to prawn on my downstream rod. The prawn had been in for 2 minuted when I got a positive bite (20.30), but I lifted in to very little resistance, which resulted in a small snig, not what I was after, but at least I lip hooked it! 30 Minutes later my Pepperami rod produced a nice chub of 4lb 10oz. At about 21.20, my Prawn rod produced an almost identical chub of 4Lb 11 oz. Things where looking up, but again went quiet for about an hour, when the pepperami rod sprung into life again and produced my best chub of the night, at 5lb 6 oz. I caught a final small chub of about 2lb before packing in at 23.00hrs. No Barbel, but 3 great conditioned Chub, so I went home quiet satisfied with my nights work.

Reaction score
hi guys,

Nearly the end of the year, success so far this year :-

15 Barbel up to 10-1
Numerous Chub to 5-2
Roach to 1-8
Lots of Dace
Eels to 4lb+
Numerous game fish
1Bullhead!!!!

Best fish mainly caught on meat and Bread.

Tight lines all & better luck next year to all.

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

Lovely Carp,

Possibly hooked & lost one couple of weeks ago. Went like a train & 10lb line parted!!!!!

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Crikey, it’s disappointing to find this thread dwindled out a couple of years ago.

Does now one fish the ribble anymore?

I try to get up 2 or 3 times a year or so but must confess that my 'efforts' would be documented on the HDYGO thread - I wonder whether it's possible to post to more than one thread at a time?

dave m

Reaction score
i got to the ribble whenever im able to get out and only severe frost might stop me going as my main target is barbel.
i had a nice fish just over 9lbs on sunday evening.

Reaction score
I don’t know about that...I’d rather be filling it with tales of some great fishing on the ribble. I’ll recover from surgery just in time for the close season :(

mikench

Reaction score
Good luck with your op. The Ribble will still be there when you are ready!:thumbs::fish2:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
On a social media site someone has posted these pics of a fish he caught from the Ribble. Most who replied also showed pics of very similar looking fish.
The general consensus was that these were choach or chub roach hybrids and were common in the river.

image.jpeg

image.jpg

I thought they may be Ide but the scale count on the lateral line is too few? I am not disputing their opinions. I think they're a rare-ish fish elsewhere.
Are they that common on the Ribble?

seth49

Reaction score
They do seem to be fairly common,there was a lot of talk about them in the tackle shop, one or two suggested that somebody had been messing about at the EA fish farm, there has been quite a bit of restocking in the ribble.
It would make sense if they don’t normally hybridise.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Those hybrids have been about for many years. They become more localised in the lower river during the winter months. They're nothing new to the local and/or regular anglers of the water. Obviously some numpty has caught one and thought he'd struck gold.
Although they are a novelty at first it soon wears off and personally i'd much prefer to catch either a chub or a roach rather than one of these mongrel fish lol.

mikench

Reaction score
Interesting looking fish though nonetheless ! I'd (no pun intended) be delighted to catch one!

fred hall

Reaction score
Let's relaunch this juggernaut !!!!
Only managed one trip to the Ribble so far this season. It was high and not particularly handsome. Only had a light float rod with me so that I could catch loads of dace on trotted maggots. Oh sugar the tackle shop was out of maggots. I improvised with small pieces of luncheon meat on a size 14 hook. Result - one bite in 4 hours but hey the good old Ribble isn't done yet. Didn't have scales with me so will never know for sure what the very handsome chub weighed. By comparing it with the width of my net I can say it was 17 inches long and rather chunky.
How are all you other Ribble regulars doing?

Reaction score
Been fishing the Ribble for barbel for about ten years now and over the last few years our barbel catches have plummeted. Still get plenty of chub and good chub too but the barbel have almost disappeared. I don't use BFW or any other site that has river reports. Is this what others are experiencing and, if so, does anyone know where the barbel have gone? On a good day I used to catch a dozen. Have spoken to a couple of anglers on the bank who blame otter predation, but if that's the case why did they leave all the big chub?

Mainly interested in whether others have a experienced a similar huge drop in barbel numbers being caught on the Ribble?

fred hall

Reaction score
I've managed 2 trips to the Ribble so far this season. Just took a float rod and a tub of maggots each time. In terms of numbers it has been great fishing but I have needed the landing net just once for a frisky brown trout of about 10 oz. It is mainly dace but there are good numbers of roach too plus some chunky gudgeon. Only 1 small chub which has surprised me.