Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  309
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Below Ribchester
    Date:...04/08/09
    Time fished:...14:15 to 22:00
    Weather conditions:...Overcast to start, bright and sunny, then a late heavy shower.
    Water conditions:...just a bit above ANSL and steady.
    Air temperature:...N/T
    Water Temperature:...N/T
    Bait:...Pellet and bollies.
    Method:..single feeder rod
    Results:...6 barbel, best 7lb 10oz.
    Brief description of the session & remarks:... A mate put me on a good peg and said expect a frantic start............... and it was. Landed 3 and lost one in the first hour. Had a barbel within 3 or 4 mins on first cast. The lost fish bugged me because it felt heavy and went off strong, stopped and went again, but a knot I wasn't 100% sure about when I tied it, gave way, and that was that. Went quiet when the sun came out for several hours, so that was the lunch break. Steady evening with fish well spaced out. I felt there were lots of fish in the swim and plenty of plucks and pulls. No eels and sadly no chub, but enjoyed it. I left the float gear behind in the belief the wind was too problematic. Sods law, I got there and it was sheltered and absolutely perfect for the float! Maybe next time....

Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Above Preston
    Date:...06/08/09
    Time fished:...19:30hrs to 05:00hrs
    Weather conditions:...Hazy sun followed by light cloud enough to hide a full moon but it was still remarkably bright.
    Water conditions:...Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.12M ANSL and steady.
    Air temperature:...17C dropping to 9.7C
    Water Temperature:...19.4C
    Bait:...Bread, Sweetcorn, Hal Pellet & Curry Paste.
    Method:..2 rods, upstream rod sweetcorn with liquidised bread, micro pellets and sweet corn in feeder. Downstream rod halibut pellet with PVA bag of micro pellets & dry ground bait plus loose fed Hal pellets.
    Results:...1 Chub @ 4lb, 1 Barbel @10lb-1oz and 2 eels.
    Brief description of the session & remarks:...First chance to get down to the Ribble during my 1st weeks holiday of 2009, our Lasses brother left early and I'd even time to earn a few brownie points in he garden before I darted down to the Ribble for another night session. The river look OK but talking to a couple of anglers who had been on all day it hadn't fished very well, and I was hoping that I'd at least get some cloud cover over the full moon. Started with bites as the sun went down but these turned out to be eels eating my sweetcorn, so I had to abandon the sweetcorn for bread flake and that as that until around mid-night when I hooked into a big fish that just sat on the bottom. I thought it had taken me into a snag and gave it some slack only to find here was nothing there when I tighten up again. The 10lb barbel came at 02:20hrs on pellet and paste and the only chub right at the end of the session also on pellet and paste. I was as usual after the chub but no one in their right mind would turn their nose up at a 10lb barbel on the Ribble. Nice easy walk back to my van as the mist on the river was just beginning to clear and the full moon sitting low on the horizon, beautiful.
    Last edited by john conway (CSG - ACA); 07-08-2009 at 13:53.

Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Above preston
    Date:...06/08/09
    Time fished:...13:30 to 21:00
    Weather conditions:...Bright sunny and hot.
    Water conditions:...Looked normal but as clear as tap water.
    Air temperature:...N/T
    Water Temperature:...N/T
    Bait:...Caster and hemp.
    Method:..Waggler
    Results:...2 small barbel, a handful of roach and a few chub of mixed sizes.
    Brief description of the session & remarks:... I'd never seen the stretch before, so was out of the usual comfort zone! Not the best conditions at all. Fished two pegs and both were less than 3 feet deep. Had a steady start, but it went downhill and ended up really struggling as tiny fish were attacking whatever bait I used and messing up presentation and the run through the swim. I thought the evening would be good but proved a disappointment. Lots of anglers about, but very few fish caught. A friend did well on the same stretch recently but it was overcast, slightly up with lots of colour in the water.

Section of Fishery or river stretch: Ribble – Near Ribchester
    Date: 8th August 2009
    Time fished: 08:00 - 16:00
    Weather conditions: Bright in the morning cloudy from 10:30. No rain
    Water conditions: River low with reasonable flow.
    Air temperature: Not taken
    Water Temperature: Not taken
    Bait: Hemp, casters and bronze maggots
    Method: Single rod feeder fishing.
    Results: 12 - 18 Chub from 8 ounces to 3 - 4 lbs (lost count!).
    Brief description of the session & remarks: Fishing good up to about 11:00 then went completely dead. Came back on about 14:00 and fished well thereafter. Started with hemp and casters and changed to maggot in the afternoon. Good mix of juvenile and well grown adults (at least eight 3-4 lb mature fish). All good looking Ribble chub. No barbel which is unusual for this peg which usuallly starts as a chub peg then the barbel push them out.
    Last edited by Matthew Nightingale (ACA); 23-08-2009 at 16:37.
    WWF = 170,000 members, PETA = 750,000 members, RSPB = 1,000,000 members..... Angling Trust maybe 10,000.....

Date:...09/08/09
    Time fished:...20:00hrs to 05:00hrs
    Weather conditions:...Overcast, muggy and no wind, about 03:00hrs the moon started to show and the chub disappeared.
    Water conditions:...Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.05M ANSL and falling.
    Air temperature:...18C only dropping to 17.5C
    Water Temperature:...18.8C
    Method:..2 rods, upstream rod sweetcorn with liquidised bread, micro pellets and sweet corn in feeder. Downstream rod halibut pellet with PVA bag of micro pellets & dry ground bait plus loose fed Hal pellets.
    Results:...4 Chub 3 over 4lb best 4lb-12oz, 2 Barbel best 9lb-8oz.
    Brief description of the session & remarks:...The river looked very low and the banks were unusually dry which made the fishing very comfortable had it not been for the huge amount of cow dung. The big barbel was the first fish and came one hour after starting on a single grain of sweetcorn. Then it was roughly a fish every hour until the moon put in an appearance around 03:00hrs. Four fish were taken on sweetcorn, two on bread flake and none at all on pellet and paste. At around 02:00hrs the dung machines arrived and crashed about in the woods and on the bank for about an hour, then wondered off to fertilise some other part of the river. The mink I saw a couple of weeks ago paid me another visit and possible a badger or some other single medium to large animal rummaging about at the back of my chair. Overall a vary good session with quite a few night noises to keep me on my toes.

Default Ribble Catchup

Section of Fishery or river stretch: Ribble – Above Preston
    Date: 24th July 2009
    Time fished: 1500-2300
    Weather conditions: Warm 23°C, dry. Some cloud cover.
    Water conditions: Approx 1ft above NSL. Came up about 6” rapidly at about 1700.
    Air temperature: 23°C
    Water Temperature: not taken.
    Bait: Pellet/paste, hemp, maggots.
    Method: Two rods. Ground bait, pellets and hemp in the feeder. Pellet/paste on the hook. Had a few casts with maggot feeder.
    Results: Me – 1 small chub on maggot. A few knocks. Mark – chub about 4lb, his first river fish (lost a few good fish too due to hook pulls).
    Brief description of the session & remarks: I took my mate Mark for his first trip on a river. Mark is an accomplished carp angler and has many big fish to his name, but has never fished a river for chub and barbel. My intention was to put him on the peg that I had caught on last week, but someone beat us to it. Well, he was happy with the chub, a good fish by any means. However, he was not happy about the lost fish – perhaps the heavy carp rods had something to do with it!

Date: 31st July 2009
    Time fished: 1500-2130
    Weather conditions: Warm, light breeze, overcast with some showers. Started to rain heavier at about 2100.
    Water conditions: Approx 1ft on NSL and steady. Good colour and flow.
    Air temperature: 21°C
    Water Temperature: NT
    Bait: Pellet/paste, boilies/paste (salmon & lamprey pellet, lamprey boilies)
    Method: Me – 2 rods, Josh 1 rod. Large cage feeders.
    Results: Josh 3 chub: 2-12, 3-8 and 4-10. Me – 4 chub to 3-12
    Brief description of the session & remarks: I took my son Josh (11) for his first river fishing session. I couldn’t have wished for better conditions. Josh was into his first chub before I had cast a line! We had a great day with plenty of fish and bites to keep his interest. Josh asked if we could come again tomorrow before we had packed up. We also had a visit from the cows, but they kept their distance.

Date: 6th August 2009
    Time fished: 1300-2130
    Weather conditions: Warm, clear blue sky, very light breeze
    Water conditions: NSL and steady, very little flow and clear.
    Air temperature: 23°C
    Bait: Pellet/paste, boilie/paste, maggots.
    Method: Me 2 rods, Josh 1 rod. Large cage feeder/maggot feeder.
    Results: Me- Blank, I couldn’t buy a bite! Josh – Roach about 6oz, 2 eels.
    Brief description of the session & remarks: After last week’s result we returned to the same swim. However, the river was low and clear so I put Josh on maggot feeder hoping to find him some bites. They were few and far between, so his interest dwindled from time to time. Although I was a bit disappointed with the catch, we still had a good day together and Josh enjoyed his Cornish pasty (he’d been looking forward to it all day!). So why the blank? Should I have fished a swim with more flow/oxygen or should I have fished a deeper swim in the clear conditions? Or was there another factor?

Date: 12th August 2009
    Time fished: 1815-2245
    Weather conditions: Warm, breezy some cloud cover.
    Water conditions: 0315 NJR @ 0.08 BNSL & rising. Same level as last week and steady when I arrived.
    Air temperature: 20°C
    Bait: Pellet/paste, boilie/paste, hemp, maggot.
    Method: 2 rods. Big cage feeders. Also fished maggot feeder for a couple of hours.
    Results: 2 small chub about 8oz on maggot. Only one bite on pellet/paste – a good positive bite. Thought I was in but nothing there – the bait was pulled from the hair.
    Brief description of the session & remarks: I thought I’d give the same swim ago again, even though I blanked last time. Did I learn nothing? Lots of bites on maggot, but only very small delicate twitches. At 2145 a mink emerged from the water about 10ft to my left. It took a look at me and returned to the water and swam in front of me to my right. It emerged again about 20 ft to my right and sat in a bush looking at me for a couple of minutes before slipping into the darkness. Could this be the reason for the lack of big fish activity? Or was I in the wrong swim for the low clear water conditions?

PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

Date:...14/08/09
    Time fished:...21:00hrs to 05:00hrs
    Weather conditions:...Overcast threatening rain at about 01:00hrs the wind picked up and started to blow quite hard but the rain didn't arrive until I reached the Dales on my way home.
    Water conditions:...Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.04M ANSL and falling.
    Air temperature:...18.9C only dropping to 18C
    Water Temperature:...17.9C
    Results:...2 Chub best 4lb-12oz.
    Brief description of the session & remarks:...The river was low and very little moving all night, even the bats were quiet, however, I did get two visits this time from the resident mink, but no cows and no night noises. Just after midnight, I lifted into a big fish that just bolted and snapped my hook length, 10lb fluorocarbon, the fish just tanked off and that was that. The Chub came to a single grain of sweetcorn. Note! Sat 15th and I've just come back from Settle and the Ribble was fair belting down, it should now fish well early next week if the weather behaves it's self?
    Last edited by john conway (CSG - ACA); 15-08-2009 at 19:11.

Date:...21/08/09
    Time fished:...21:30hrs to 05:00hrs
    Weather conditions:...Light cloud, breezy at first becoming clam around midnight, no moon. Bright morning with mist over low ground and river
    Water conditions:...Rivercall at 15:15hrs @ NJR 0.32M ANSL and falling, however, the river rose 100mm during session.
    Air temperature:...13.9C dropping to 10.2C
    Water Temperature:...17.7C
    Results:...1 Chub @ 3lb-1oz.
    Brief description of the session & remarks:...The river looked great and I thought, after landing the chub after 15 mins., that I’d be in for a few more and maybe the odd barbel, but it wasn’t to be. Just the odd rattle of the rod tips every half hour or so and plenty of bat bites, other than that, it was a very quiet night. I enjoyed the walk back to my van, quite beautiful in Shire during the first hour just before sunrises, with the woods and hills poking above the mist like little Islands.

Section of Fishery or river stretch: Ribble – Near Ribchester
    Date: 31st August 2009
    Time fished: 08:30 - 15:00
    Weather conditions: Overcast with a threat of rain which never materialised.
    Water conditions: River approximately three foot high dropping six inches during the session.
    Air temperature: Not taken
    Water Temperature: Not taken
    Bait: Bread, liquidised bread and sweetcorn.
    Method: Single rod feeder fishing.
    Results: One barbel @ 10 pounds.
    Brief description of the session & remarks: Fishing very difficult with river running in spate and lots of weed. Started fishing with bread flake but couldn't be sure bait wasn't getting knocked off by weed. No bites. Fishing near to my bank in only patch of slackish water. Changed to two grains of sweetcorn with liquidised bread wrapped around an 'O' weight. First cast with sweetcorn caught a ten pound barbel (only my second double!). Nothing thereafter and got fed up with loosing weights so packed up early. Good day though!
    WWF = 170,000 members, PETA = 750,000 members, RSPB = 1,000,000 members..... Angling Trust maybe 10,000.....

Date:...02/09/09
    Time fished:...16:30hrs to 02:00hrs
    Weather conditions:...showery, very heavy at times, cleared a wee bit at midnight with full moon trying to break through.
    Water conditions:...Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.53M ANSL and steady, however, around midnight the river started to rise very fast and by 02:00hrs it had risen about 750mm (2ft) and was still rising fast when I left.
    Air temperature:...15C throughout the session.
    Water Temperature:...14.5C
    Method:..2 rods, one rod fishing the outside crease of a big eddy on sweetcorn with liquidised bread, micro pellets and sweet corn in feeder, the other rod fishing the inside of the eddy on halibut pellet with PVA bag of micro pellets & dry ground bait plus loose fed Hal pellets.
    Results:...One 8oz roach and one 1-1/2lb barbel.
    Brief description of the session & remarks:...I’d already decided to fish a permanent eddy just in case the river came up during the session, which it did. The roach and barbel came on sweetcorn from the outside crease of the eddy and just as it went dark and I lost, either a big chub or medium size barbel, when it bolted into the reeds and flood debris under the bank as I was bringing it to the net. The inside rod was showing a bit of activity and I tried touch legering for an hour and just as I was getting a few more positive plucks and little pulls the river started to rise very fast and that was that. There was plenty of slurping, gulping and slashing in the bank side reeds and floor debris but in the dark I wasn’t up to risking dropping a bait in, even if I did make contact I’d have never got it out.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast