Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  309
Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

Date:.. Saturday 08/03/14
    Venue:... River Ribble
    Time fished:...16:30hrs 24:00:00hrs
    Weather conditions:... Light cloud, sunny intervals, light breeze and a hazy half-moon.
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.69M and falling.
    Air temperature:... 11.8C dropping to 6C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 9.5C
    Bait:... Bread Flake, Crust/Cheese Paste
    Method:.. 2 rods. Mid-stream rod – Bread flake and liquidized bread in feeder. Bankside rod – Crust/Cheese Paste – loose fed corn
    Results:... One 3lb-11oz chub
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… Plenty of lads about fishing most left around or just after dusk. The knocks started after dusk but were very quick and hard to hit. Didn't make contact until 23:25hrs but only after touch legering and allowing about 1 metre of slack. Pleasant evening and had the usual visit from the resident otter that stopped in front of me, treading water, hissed and swam down river.

Date:.. Thursday 13/03/14
    Time fished:...17:30hrs 24:00:00hrs
    Weather conditions:... Overcast and misty no wind.
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.42M and falling.
    Air temperature:... 8.7C dropping to 2C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 9.7C
    Method:.. 2 rods. Mid-stream rod – Bread flake and liquidized bread in feeder. Bankside rod – Crust/Cheese Paste – loose fed corn
    Results:... Two chub to 4lb-10oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… This was the last day of the 2013/2014 season for me. Plenty of salmon lads out and a few coarse anglers but they all had left shortly after dusk. Plenty of good knocks after dusk but very hard to hit. The first chub (4lb-10oz) came to the bank side rod, after touch legering with a good 2 metres of slack, at 22:10hrs and the last chub to the mid river rod at 23:30hrs. Both chub came to Crust/Cheese Paste. This was a nice way to end the season with a good fat 4lb+ chub.

Date 17.6.14
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 19:30 till 22:30
    Weather conditions: dry, warm and sunny
    Water conditions : 0.1m at Ribchester School
    Bait – pellet
    Air temp – NT
    Water temp: NT
    Method: Single feeder rod
    Results: 2 chub, 1 barbel and a dace.

Time seems to have flow by and June feels like it's come quick this year! I only had this evening or a weekend evening free to get out, so with the sun beating down on a very low river, I didn't rush to finish work early. The last few hours were all I was interested in fishing and I suspect being on the river any earlier wouldn't have made any difference at all.

Those I spoke to on arrival hadn't caught and it looked like it would be late evening or the edge of dark before that would change much and so it was.

I had no signs of life until a chub of 4lb 2oz gave a timid bite shortly after the sun dipped behind the far bank trees.

I'd messed up and left my corn on the side in the garage. It was probably one of those evenings where it would have been the better bait, but I had little choice but to persivere without it.

I was getting a few indications and knocks and a large dace came shortly before I landed an 8lb 7oz barbel. It was a fish I had seen before. Not that I would normally recognise any, but this chap is deformed and my mate had him several years ago in March, just a little further down river. Back then he was over 9lb, but looking a little skinny he weighed 8lb 7oz.

I took another chub of 4lb 10oz before I had to be on my way. My mate had been on from mid afternoon and had had a decent day on the stick float upstream of me with some reasonable chub and dace. He caught steady but ran out of bait just before the light went and didn't manage any bonus fish bar a 4lb brownie!

Date:.. Monday 16/06/14
    Venue:.. River Ribble
    Time fished:...00:00hrs 06:00:00hrs
    Weather conditions:... Cloudy at start clearing at dusk with a large moon, sunny at sunrise. No wind.
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.35M and steady.
    Air temperature:... 19C dropping to 15C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 21C
    Method:.. 2 rods both upstream and downstream on bread flake or crust and cheese paste with liquidized bread and hemp in feeder. Loose fed swims with corn an hour before fishing.
    Results:... Blank
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… Well another day and another dollar and another start to a new season. Unfortunately, also another blank start to a new season. I only had one bite that I hit but lost after a few good pulls. However, it’s always good to get back on the river, this was also a new peg that I'd not fished before and even though I tried my best not to get stung while clearing a wee space, I did several times.

Date:.. Tuesday 17/06/14
    Time fished:...21:30hrs 04:30:00hrs
    Weather conditions:... Cloudy with light rain at times, no wind.
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.32M and steady.
    Air temperature:... 19.3C dropping to 14.7C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 22C
    Bait:... Halibut Pellet & Bread Flake,
    Method:.. 2 rods, downstream Halibut Pellet with liquidized bread and hemp in feeder and upstream rod bread flake with liquidized bread and hemp in feeder. Loose fed swims with corn an hour before fishing.
    Results:... Two chub to 3lb-10oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… The river was quite low and warm, I should have waited until it rained but the weather forecast did not show any until maybe next week and it wasn’t going to get any better so I popped down for a short night session for the chub. Again, I fished a new peg and had two Chub to 3lb-10oz both coming to the upstream rod on bread flake.

John Conway and Paul C. returning with their river reports. The clear sign of the start of a new river season and the feeling that all is now right with the world.

Have a good season lads, thanks as always....I'll have to encourage Del to venture out with me for a few more trips to the Ribble.
    He is every other inch a gentleman.

I am off to elston (its the only stretch I can fish on my wigan book!) next saturday, anybody heard how its doing on there?

Date 1.7.14
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 19:30 till 22:35
    Water conditions : 0.0m at Ribchester School
    Bait – pellet & corn
    Air temp – NT
    Results: 3 chub, 1 barbel, 4 dace, 1 roach and 1 brown trout

Again a short dusk session after a warm, sunny day just focusiing on the last few hours of light. The river was low with little flow in areas, but I fished a peg that always has a bit of flow to it and is a good holding area in any conditions.

This time I remembered my corn and I was glad I did as I switched to it as soon as I had made up a rig for it and imediately got knocks and taps after no signs on a small pellet. Alot of the indications might have been from the dace and I hooked a few on single corn, but the first fish I connected with was a 1lb 2oz roach.

I took a small chub of about 3lb and also pulled out of two fish I suspected to be chub or maybe brownies but had to wait for a few better fish for the light to fade. The bites on corn slowed right off and I switched back to a small pellet. My second chub was better at 4lb 2oz and my third a lovely although slightly battered looking 5lb 3oz fish.

A big brown trout also took a liking to the pellet, before a barbel of around 5.5lb finished off my session at 10:35pm, when I had to be on my away.
    Last edited by Paul C; 02-07-2014 at 11:21.

Quote Originally Posted by mark brailsford 2 View Post
    I am off to elston (its the only stretch I can fish on my wigan book!) next saturday, anybody heard how its doing on there?
    Hey Mark,
    How did you get on - what condition was the stretch in?
    Cheers

Date 6.7.14
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 17:45 till 22:30
    Water conditions : 0.29m at Ribchester School
    Bait – hemp, caster & corn
    Air temp – NT
    Method: Waggler
    Results: 2 chub, 6 barbel, 2 dace, 1 small roach

I had a bit more time available today so the waggler was the choice of method and I’d much prefer a moving bait in these warm and sticky the conditions. A good friend had been on during the week and had a fantastic waggler session with a big catch of barbel and chub and he kindly directed me to the area of his success.

The river had a little more water and colour in it from when he was on and there was someone fishing the bottom of the glide he’d fished so I went a little further upstream. In hindsight the peg was a bit too difficult to fish with comfort. I couldn’t wade as far and I was having to fish at the limit of my cast and feeding capabilities to reach the shallow far bank glide. So after a biteless, fishless first hour, I moved a bit further upstream to some deeper water. This was a much easier peg to fish with a slower pace and steady 6ft depth.

After feeding constantly for half an hour I had a barbel on caster of about 5.5lb and two trots later another of 4.5lb. It was all quiet for a spell after that until a couple of small dace and a small roach also came out to caster. I switched to corn and on the second run through had a chub of about 3.5lb and then lost one a few minutes later.

After a short break, a sit down and a bite to eat, I went back out on corn and had a bit of a crazy spell with the barbel. I took 4 more and another chub but I hooked and lost far more than I landed. I suspect a good few were fouled and on one occasion did return with a barbel scale on the hook. I didn’t break on any but reckon I pulled out of 8 barbel, some of which I played for several minutes. I changed hooks just in case it was slightly blunted, but it didn’t make much difference, I still pulled out of them on a new hook. My last two fish were both over 7lb with a 7lb 2 and 7lb 4oz which certainly tested my set up and left my line looking a little ragged and kinked. The 4.5lb fish was the smallest of the day.

Very little in the way of smaller stuff showed but then I don’t think they would have got a look in with the numbers of barbel I had in the swim. Despite losing so many fish it was really enjoyable getting them on the float.

Date 10.7.14
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 9:45 till 14:00
    Weather conditions: Scorchio
    Water conditions : 0.00m at Ribchester School
    Air temp – NT
    Results: 1 chub, 6 barbel, 3 dace, 6 roach

The river is fishing superb at the minute on a running line. Several friends have been on and done fantastic on the waggler in the evening. A friend earlier in the week had 12 barbel in just over 3 hours all between 5lb and 9lb 3oz!

If you've not tried it, give it a go. You'll be amazed how well they will feed even with the sun beating down, when static baits are hopeless. Find the fish and you'll catch them on caster and hemp.

I managed to squeeze in a few hours between the school runs, so it was a dash after dropping them off and the same to pick them up. Despite the time of day it was still great fishing. I caught within the first half an hour but had to wait a while to add to that.

I had some better roach this time and 2 of the 6 were over a pound and a half with the best 1lb 10oz.

I again hooked and lost fish albeit not as many as last time and twice came back with a scale. I had barbel topping in my swim for a spell and whilst playing fish several times another was spooked and jumped clear of the water. It's no wonder the odd one gets foul hooked.

The barbel ranged from 5.5lb to 8lb 10oz with the second best at 7lb 5oz. The chub was about 3.5lb. The last hour was a bit slow but by then it was positively tropical.

I have my kids till Monday so I am guttted I can't get back on till next week... I'll be fishing whips with them over the weekend on a stillwater instead!

Date 17.7.14
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 20:10 till 22:35*
    Weather conditions: Scorchio
    Water conditions : Low and clear
    Bait – pellet & corn
    Air temp – NT
    Results: 2 roach

I have been working away for a while building a quick to put up, removable bed for the back of my MPV. The intention being I can do a few double headers, an evening session and morning session. Well after much tinkering! It's ready, so I decided to test it!

Thursday was red hot, so I didn't rush to the river. I fished the last two and a bit hours until I had to be off the venue. I was getting loads of taps on corn but it was clearly small stuff and they were stripping the hook quickly. I couldn't hit the fast bites, but two big roach gave a better bite, the best of which was about 1lb. I got a decent bite at 10:25pm and played either a chub or barbel for a matter of seconds but lost it with a hook pull. So I set off to a different length a short distance away to sleep for a few hours. The plan being the morning session would be on the float.

Date 18.7.14
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 06:00 till 09:30
    Weather conditions: blustery, showers and sunshine with a crack of thunder
    Water conditions : Below normal , clear
    Air temp – NT
    Results: 5 barbel, 4 big chub, 6 dace, 1 roach

I was up just before 5am and sorted out my change over of gear and made the long walk to the area. I was surprised after yesterday just how windy it was even first thing. One thing that can be a problem on the float is the wind!!

I got fishing for just after 6am. The wind was gusty at times but manageable. I had a couple of dace and roach after about 10 mins, spaced out over about 10 minutes. By 7:10am I'd had 4 barbel (pretty much one after the other). I hadn't lost any fish and all the barbel were 5.5 to the best at 7lb 5oz.*

The next half an hour, the chub seems to be more present. I had 3 big ones (3lb to 4lb) and one more barbel at 6lb 11oz. But, the wind was really picking up and driving up river. It started to get hard to run through and the feed was getting blown upstream and all over the place. I had short break and went back, but by 8:30 I had added just one more big chub and a couple of dace. From then on till I quit at 9:30 is was almost unfishable at times. It was almost waves like white horses going up river when the wind was at it's worst. In moments of slack I had another couple of dace. But in the end I conceded to the conditions. **

A great start but I got blown off as they say! Let's hope I'm as lucky later tonight!

The bed in a box, as I call it worked a treat. I woke up a few times, but it was comfy and warm and takes me 5 minutes to make into a bed, utilising some of my long octoplus legs!

A struggle on the feeder, but it's still fishing great on the float if you pick your swims and mother nature helps out.

Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast