Time: 16:00 till 21:00
    Weather conditions: Hot and sunny
    Water conditions : Below normal , clear
    Bait – hemp, caster & corn
    Air temp – NT
    Water temp: NT
    Method: Waggler
    Results: 1 barbel, 1 chub about 25 tiny dace, 1 gudgeon

Sunday eve was my last chance before I switch to single parent for the week. I had some bait left over with my previous session being cut short.

It was hard work all in all. I lost a barbel fairly early on but 2 hours in and I was struggling for bites and the shoal fish weren't having any of it. My first fish was a barbel of about 4.5lb, but it didn't spark further action and I again struggled afterwards.

I took a break from standing in mid river and fed plenty of hemp. Things improved a little on the bites front but I was only picking up very small dace. I lost another fish that ran after connecting for just a few seconds. In the last hour I added a decent chub of about 4lb, but it was out of the blue in between the little dace and by 9pm I'd had enough. 5 hours grafting mid river is normally my limit, so I called it quits as there will be easier days to catch a few than this.

The stretch was a little busier today having had a little bit of rain the day before, so it may have made a bit of a difference. The two lads below me had one barbel each on the feeder, so there were one or two fish showing, but it seemed generally slow despite lots of decent fish topping all over the stretch all afternoon and evening.

Default Re: Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

Date 3.8.14
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 16:45 till 21:55
    Weather conditions: Sunny spells some heavy showers
    Water conditions : Back up to normal and some colour
    Bait – hemp, caster, corn & pellet
    Air temp – NT
    Method: Waggler & feeder
    Results: 2 barbel, 1 chub about 15 good dace, 3 big roach & 15 or so tiny dace & chub, 1 eel

I intended to fish the float, but brought the feeder rod as a back up plan to put in the float line if it was slow or there were too many small nuisance fish about.

I started ok with 3 good roach a big chub of about 4lb, but it went very quiet and I struggled for bites. I had a quick go of the feeder in the float swim after a couple of hours as I was only picking up odd decent dace and small stuff but with no regularity. I got a few knocks but no takes on corn, so I persisted with the float, but it was hard work to get any pattern with lots of quiet spells.

The water temp felt much cooler than it has been so the extra water certainly seems to have chilled it down and the odd person I saw was struggling and the bloke below me blanked fishing the feeder and left before dark.

The light seemed to start to go early as some very dark clouds came over. I switched back to the feeder around 9pm and a small pellet. I had 2 barbel fishing the float swim and an eel before the heavens opened and torrential rain made standing mid river rather unpleasant. I bailed out and made the long walk back with it still raining heavy.

Slow on the float. Plenty of fish topping all evening but they weren't having it like they were a few weeks ago. The sudden drop in water temp might have just made it difficult but it needed some water desperately.

Date:.. Sunday 03/08/14
    Venue:... River Ribble
    Time fished:...15:00hrs 22:30:00hrs
    Weather conditions:... Overcast with the odd shower
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.44M and steady.
    Air temperature:... 22C dropping to 18.2C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 18.7C
    Bait:... Halibut Pellet & Bread Flake and Sweetcorn
    Method:.. 2 rods, downstream halibut pellet with loose fed pellets and corn; upstream rod sweetcorn then at dusk bread flake with liquidized bread and hemp in feeder, and loose fed corn.
    Results:... One chub 3lb-14oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… On this trip, I only caught one chub of 3lb-14oz. There was a lot of weed coming down as I fished the back end of a small flood pulse. I did however, watched a pair of Buzzards soaring above the far bank trees and an Heron hunting in the bankside vegetation looking for mice and voles. Just before dusk a Wren landed on one of my rods just above the reel, I could have reached out and touched it. It then hopped onto my second rod for a good minute, wonderful. The down side was the infestation of slugs, all sizes and all colours, several of which made it home in my rucksack!!!

Date:.. Saturday 09/08/14
    Time fished:...17:30hrs 01:00hrs
    Weather conditions:... Sunny intervals, clouding over at dusk, breezy. Started to rain while packing up.
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.28M and steady.
    Air temperature:... 19.8C dropping to 16.8C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 21.3C
    Bait:... Spam, Bread Flake and Sweetcorn
    Method:.. 2 rods, downstream, close in, spam with loose fed pellets and corn, changed to bread flake after catching eel; upstream rod, mid river, sweetcorn then at dusk bread flake with liquidized bread and hemp in feeder, and loose fed corn.
    Results:... One chub 2lb-8oz, two eels and an 8oz dace
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… Quick trip to get out of the house and before the tail end of a big Atlantic storm, can't remember the name of the hurricane, I wasn't expecting too much, may be a chub after dusk. The river was low but had a slight tinge of colour. Started to get knocks on sweetcorn then picked up an 8oz dace around 18:35 and an hour later, also on sweetcorn an eel. I picked up another eel at 23:40hrs on spam and finally a 2lb-8oz chub just after mid-night. I packed up when the wind picked up and it started to rain. Just after dusk, a lone otter swam under my rod tip returning around mid-night with a pup.

The down side was the infestation of slugs, all sizes and all colours, several of which made it home in my rucksack!!!
    I was similarly invaded by slugs the other day, I found they were attracted by the halibut pellets! - Could just be a coincidence - but be aware next time you use them!

Bertha will be dismayed you forgot her name, John wildlife watching makes up for those biteless times.

Date:.. Tuesday 12/08/14
    Time fished:...15:30hrs 22:30hrs
    Weather conditions:... Sunny intervals, clouding over at dusk, breezy. Started to rain while packing up.
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.66M Steady and falling at 18:00hrs.
    Air temperature:... 22C dropping to 14C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 17.3C
    Bait:... Spam, Bread Flake and Crust/cheese paste
    Method:.. 2 rods - Downstream, close in, spam with loose fed pellets and corn, changed to crust/cheese paste at 18:00hrs; Upstream rod, mid river, bread flake with liquidized bread and hemp in feeder, and loose fed corn.
    Results:... Three chub to 4lb-2oz, two barbel to 5lb-8oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… This was a trip to catch the back end of a flood pulse, which held steady until 18:00hrs when it started to slowly fall again. Up to this point nothing was showing, then around dusk Salmon/Trout started to top out and the chub started to knock. My mid river rod with feeder and bread flake picked up both Barbel, all the chub came to my nearside rod when I changed over, just before dusk, from meat to crust/cheese paste. This was also when the river started to drop again. Prior to this, I'm sure most of the knocks on my meat rod were eels. I was happy with the three chub and two barbel and not getting too wet while packing up. Plenty of wildlife to keep me occupied when things were slack and no slugs managed emigrated back to the Dales in/on my gear.

Date:.. Friday 22/08/14
    Time fished:...17:30hrs 22:30hrs
    Weather conditions:... Cloudy with sunny spells.
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.8M and falling.
    Air temperature:... 16.1C dropping to 12.2C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 15.8C
    Bait:... Spam, Bread Flake and Crust/cheese paste
    Method:.. 2 rods - Downstream, close in, spam with loose fed pellets and corn, changed to crust/cheese paste at dusk; Upstream rod, mid river, bread flake with liquidized bread and hemp in feeder, and loose fed corn.
    Results:... Two Chub 1lb-14oz & 2lb-10oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… River looked OK and there was only one other angler on this stretch. Nothing happened until dusk. Apart from the two small chub, I did get snapped off after a good tussle with a good size barbel.

Date:.. Thursday 28/08/14
    Time fished:...16:00hrs 24:00hrs
    Weather conditions:... Dull and raining most of the time, it got quite windy around mid-night
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.35M and falling.
    Air temperature:... 17.3C dropping to 14C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 18.6C
    Bait:... Bread Flake and Crust/cheese paste
    Method:.. 2 rods - Upstream & Downstream rods, fished mid river, bread flake& or crush/cheese paste with liquidized bread and hemp in feeder, and loose fed corn.
    Results:... One Chub 2lb-4oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… River low but looked OK and it was overcast and drizzly when I arrived but started to rain steadily just before dusk. The hour before mid-night, I was hanging on to my brolly after it had blown inside out twice. Just a few knocks after dusk and one good bite, which resulted in one small chub. This must be a record, within the radius of my brolly I caught and dispatched to the river 115 slugs of all colours and sizes, only one managed to get back to the Dales in my rucksack.

Date 31.8.14
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 16:15 till 22:00
    Weather conditions: Bright, calm and mild
    Water conditions : Up about 1.5 ft and some colour
    Bait – hemp, caster, corn & pellet
    Air temp – NT
    Method: Waggler & feeder
    Results: 10 decent roach, a few dace and some small chub, 7 barbel and 1 eel

A friend of mine had an amazing session during the middle of the week with a mix bag of big roach and dace, in addition to a large quantity of big chub and barbel on the float and later the feeder. The river had come up since then and I didn't come anywhere close to his success despite me have a good number of barbel!

I had a minor cock up as the night before I went to defrost some hemp, only to find I'd none left in the freezer! All I had was a tin of the ready made stuff. So I wasn’t armed with the normal compliment of bait!

The aim was to float fish and as it went dark, fish the feeder over the float swim into dark.

I had a tricky start. The first hour and a half - no bites at all on the float! I took a short break to re-galvanise!!

When I went back I started to get a few bites and managed to catch 4 big roach (2 over a pound) and a couple of chublets, but it was still slow and patchy, so I decided to put the feeder rod out and have something to eat. I didn't get chance, as I had three barbel one after another and also lost one. It died off and an eel decided to knacker my rig. I'd continued loose feeding the float line throughout, so I went back on the float for another try. I was getting more bites but it was still a struggle as fish fed in very short spells then disappeared. I managed another 3 or 4 roach, a couple of good dace and some small chublets, but I gave up with it just before dark and put the feeder rod back out.

I had far more action on small static baits. I had 4 more barbel and also pulled out of two more. I also had 2 big roach on single corn. At just before 10pm it had been quiet for a good half an hour and I called it quits so I wouldn't be knacked for work. The two best fish were 7lb 12 and 7lb 8 and only one was below 6lb. Pity I couldn’t get the roach or dace feeding properly but the barbel were clearly there and taking the small particles, yet they didn’t want a moving bait as I never came close to picking one up on the float regardless of which bait I used.

This must be a record, within the radius of my brolly I caught and dispatched to the river 115 slugs of all colours and sizes, only one managed to get back to the Dales in my rucksack.
    If only Laguna would pay a bounty on the slugs - you could have earned back your petrol money!

Date:.. Monday 08/09/14
    Time fished:...16:30hrs 22:00hrs
    Weather conditions:... Sunny spells, night brought a full moon
    Water conditions:... Normal SL
    Air temperature:... 17C dropping to 10C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... n/a
    Bait:... 12mm boilie, meat
    Method:.. I rod, pva bag no feeder no freebies
    Results: 4 Barbel to 8lb

Mobile approach, two faster swims to no avail then settled in a nearside run with decent depth. These club stretches get battered, so kept it tight with no free stuff. Football commentary started as did the action with a 7.10 fighting ridiculously hard. 2 smaller fish thru the match then a final larger as I switched to a meat offering, things did slow down. All action in about 90 minutes! Hypnotic full moon right in my face as I left - some believe this has a positive effect, who am I to say?

Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast