Time: 19:15 till 22:15
    Weather conditions: calm, overcast and mild
    Water conditions : below nsl 0.00 at ribchester school
    Bait – corn & pellet
    Air temp – NT
    Water temp: NT
    Method: feeder
    Results: 3 barbel and 1 chub

Several friends are still having fantastic evening results on the float with large catches of barbel and chub in addition to big roach and dace, but tonight I only only had time for a few hours feeder fishing after work into dark.

The river was empty, so I had the stretch to myself. I fished a peg that is normally very reliable for numbers of shoal size fish 4 to 6lb on small baits, but it fished differently tonight.

I caught in a fairly short feeding spell of about 45 mins midway through but all the barbel were a good size. The first on single corn was 8lb 5oz and a fish I had back in June. It's a kinked fish and I've seen it several times. He was 2oz lighter this time than in June.

The other two barbel were on a very small pellet and weighed 8lb 2oz and 7lb 9oz. I had a chub of about 4lb as well. Despite fishing corn for most of the early part, there were no knocks or signs at all from the smaller fish that usually make an appearance in the swim.

I am back out Sunday, hopefully, with the float and then feeder into dark approach.

Default Re: Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

Date:.. Tuesday 02/09/14
    Venue:... River Ribble
    Time fished:...18:30hrs 24:00hrs
    Weather conditions:... Cloudy with sunny intervals, light breeze
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.37M and falling.
    Air temperature:... 18.5C dropping to 12C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 19.4C
    Bait:... Bread Flake and Crust/cheese paste
    Method:.. 2 rods - Upstream fished mid river, bread flake & or crust/cheese paste with liquidized bread and hemp in feeder, and loose fed corn. Downstream rod fished close in, crust/cheese paste and loose fed corn.
    Results:... Blank
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… Not much to say really, I’d the river to myself and didn’t get a single bite all through the session, once again perhaps that’s why I’d the river to myself!!! Just after dusk, the resident otter put in an appearance close in to the bank.

Date:.. Friday 12/09/14
    Time fished:...17:30hrs 22:30hrs
    Weather conditions:... Light cloud clearing at dusk, no moon until packing up, no wind.
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.27M and falling.
    Air temperature:... 20.8C dropping to 12C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 17.9C
    Bait:... Halibut Pellet
    Method:.. 2 rods - Upstream & Downstream fished mid river, with PVA bags of micro-pellets and dried hemp and halibut ground bait and loose fed halibut pellets
    Results:... Two Barbel 7lb-9oz & 6lb-3oz and one Chub 4lb-3.5oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… Very pleasant day to sit on the riverbank and again I'd the whole stretch to myself. Just after dusk landed two nice barbel within 5 mins of each other, then nothing for a good hour. Then two good knocks but I lifted into nothing and while I was re-baiting the other rod went and I picked up a nice 4lb plus chub. Good little session and a picturesque drive back home under a very bright moon.

Date 14.9.14
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 15:45 till 21:50
    Weather conditions: Dry & mild
    Water conditions : Low and clear
    Bait – hemp, caster, corn & pellet
    Air temp – NT
    Water temp: NT
    Method: Waggler & feeder
    Results: Roach, Dace, chublets - mixed sizes on the float. 3 big chub and 1 barbel on the float - Further 5 barbel and 2 chub on the feeder & 1 eel.

The stretch was quiet again with just one person on. The bad news was he was feeder fishing the peg I had hoped to fish!

So I went for a shallow area that fished well for a friend a week ago. I started off ok with a mix of roach, dace and two big chub. But after about an hour my swim was invaded by tiny dace and chublets and they just attacked the bait on impact and wouldn’t leave it alone.

The only other angler had by now given up and left. I decided to move to escape the small bits and try the original peg as it also had the potential for the feeder later.

I didn’t have anywhere near the same trouble with the nuisance fish but it took a while to get things going with any consistency. I caught dace and chublets with some good roach mixed in but it fished really well for the last hour on the float with roach of all sizes upto nearly 1.5lb in addition to the other silver fish, another big chub and a 6lb barbel, mostly on single corn with the odd one on double caster.

I switched to the feeder as the light faded and fished it simple with single corn direct on a 14’s. I’d fed lots of corn, hemp and caster on the float line and just dropped it where I got most of the bites from and carried on loose feeding until I ran out. For an hour it was fast and furious with very quick takes almost every cast or a big slam on the rod top and the single corn hook bait was gone. It went quiet at 8:50 and all activity stopped which was not long after I’d stopped loose feeding, as I’d ran out of all but corn. I had 5 barbel and 2 chub on the feeder. Best two barbel were 8lb 2 and 7lb 12 and the best chub by far was the last one at 5lb 4oz. I had just one bite in the last hour which produced an eel.

Date:.. Sunday 14/09/14
    Time fished:...16:30hrs 22:30hrs
    Weather conditions:... Light cloud clearing at dusk, no moon until packing up, light breeze.
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.26M and steady.
    Air temperature:... 17.2C dropping to 12C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 17.6C
    Method:.. 2 rods - Upstream & Downstream fished mid river, with PVA bags of micro-pellets and dried hemp and halibut ground bait. Pre-baited with scalded ewe nuts and micro-pellets.
    Results:... One Barbel 8lb-12oz & an eel.
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… The river was low and clear and again I'd this stretch to myself. I decided to per-bait with scalded ewe nuts and micro-pellets but I'd forgot that eels love scalded ewe nuts and sure enough they were soon nibbling at my halibut pellets. No chub just one eel !!!! and a very nice 8lb-12oz barbel just before I packed up, making it a very rewarding session. Again another picturesque drive back home under a very bright half-moon low in the sky.

Date:.. Thursday 18/09/14
    Weather conditions:... Weak watery sun, light breeze, no moon
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.26M and steady.
    Air temperature:... 21.9C dropping to 12C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 20C
    Method:.. 2 rods - Upstream & Downstream fished mid river, with PVA bags of micro-pellets and dried hemp and halibut ground bait. Pre-baited with corn.
    Results:... One Chub 5lb-3.5oz.
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… The river was low and clear and yet again, I'd the stretch to myself. Quite a bit of excitement early on when a flock of geese flow into one of my rods and stripped 100M of line off by the time I'd grabbed my rod, good job I'd my bait runner on. I thought they would miss my lines but at the last moment, they banked towards me. Everything turned out OK in the end the only thing I lost was my halibut pellet. Other than this excitement I'd only two bites but one did produce a 5lb-3.5oz chub.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:.. Tues 16/09/14
    Venue:... River Ribble, near Ribchester
    Time fished:...14:30hrs 22:00hrs
    Weather conditions:... Too damn hot and sunny!
    Water conditions:... Low and very slow
    Air temperature:... About 21 degrees, dropping quickly
    Water Temperature:... N/a
    Bait:... 12mm boilies
    Method:.. One rod PVA bag over a load of maggots
    Results:... Two Barbel, 7.04 7.09
    Brief description
    Arrived geared for float fishing in the peg from last week (where there is flow) only to find it occupied. Ay Caramba... The maggs went in to a deeper swim as I had to do something! Standard lead tactics over that bait. No action til 7.45 again when the Barbs arrived, pleasing due to the lousy conditions, early work meant no real effort after dark, at least I had my fish when I know others are struggling.. (but the guy in the other swim was catching!)

Date:.. Monday 22/09/14
    Weather conditions:... Sunny with light breeze, which dropped at dusk. After dusk, the mist dropped over the river, no moon.
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.25M and steady.
    Air temperature:... 14.4C dropping to 7.5C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 17.4C
    Method:.. 2 rods - Upstream & Downstream fished mid river, with PVA bags of micro-pellets and dried hemp and halibut ground bait. Pre-baited with corn.
    Results:... Two Barbel 6lb-4oz & 7lb-13.5oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… Very pleasant evening but as soon as the sunset and the mist dropped it became quite chilly, also, the early knocks and taps stopped. Just two bites in the mist and both were nice barbel of 6lb-4oz and 7lb-13.5oz. Slow drive back up to the Dales due to large stretches of fog.

Date:.. Saturday 27/09/14
    Time fished:...15:30hrs 22:30hrs
    Weather conditions:... Overcast with sunny intervals clearing at dusk, light breeze no moon.
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.29M and steady.
    Air temperature:... 19.3C dropping to 10C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 16.9C
    Results:... One Barbel 6lb & Two Chub to 4lb-1oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… There was one salmon lad and a couple trotting for silver fish on the river as I arrived. I didn't expect anything until dusk but the only barbel (6lb) I caught tore off in the bright sunshine just before the Arsenal-Tottenham match on the radio. As usual, the two chub came after dusk just ten minutes apart. Shortly after my upstream rod pulled slowly over and locked up solid. I left it for a while but there was no sign of life so I had to pull for broke. I was happy with the session and another 4lb+ chub to add to my list.

Hi John,
    I notice you are still using Halibut Pellets - but haven't included a 'slug attack' count in recent reports - d'ya reckon the slugs have had their fill or is it a sign of the colder weather and it's kept the slugs down? I've noticed hardly any slugs around this last fortnight - particularly around my Halibut Pellet tub!
    Tight Lines!

You ought to fish over here Greenie. Last month I was fishing a lake and I noticed that my dog who was laying at my side was staring at something in the undergrowth. It was a signal crayfish that had come out of the water to get in my groundbait bowl. Imagine if I'd just put my hand in without looking

All through the session they kept coming out of the water and up through the reeds. It was like Rorke's Drift!
    I tread the path where no one goes,
    and cast to fish nobody knows.

Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast