Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Hi John! I've not been on your page for sometime now and I was wondering when is the next fish in is on the ribble?

I've been far to busy at work this last couple of years to organise another fish-in, but the main reason is the closure of the Black Bull and it's bunk house.

ryboyd

Reaction score
Hi John.
Nice chat yesterday.

Those "special" boilies ( taps side of nose with a wink) I showed you produced 3 chub for me.
@ 3.12. 4.9 and 4.12.
might be somthing to the idea after all. ;)

Hope to see you up there again before the end.
Tony,

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Above Preston
Date:...06/03/10
Time fished:...17:00hrs to 24:00hrs
Weather conditions:...Overcast with weak watery sun, no wind and no moon.
Water conditions:... Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.11M ANSL and steady.
Air temperature:... 4.7C dropping to minus 2C.
Water Temperature:... 4.7C
Bait:...Bread, cheese, 3-B boilies.
Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod bread flake or crust & cheese with liquidised bread and garlic in feeder. Downstream rod 3-B boilies & cheese paste with loose fed pellets and boilies.
Results:... 10 Chub, 6 over 4lb two being in the low 5lbs.
Brief description of the session & remarks:…Another pleasant February afternoon with a nice sunset. Just before sunset, I had a chat with one of the FM lads who fish the Ribble and we swapped few ideas and tails.
You would think I’d have a lot to say about this session it being one of my best for a long time, but I would have swapped the lot for a nice 6lber, which seem to have eluded me this year. Still I’ve still got a couple of sessions yet to squeeze in before the end of the season. After sunset, the temperature dropped like a stone and remained below minus 2C for the rest of the session. Pleasant walk back to my van, no bl**dy mud.

---------- Post added at 23:43 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

Date:...07/03/10
Time fished:...17:00hrs to 21:30hrs
Weather conditions:...Very bright sunny day, no wind and no moon.
Water conditions:... Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.1M ANSL and steady.
Air temperature:... 9.7C dropping to minus 2C.
Water Temperature:... 4.7C
Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod bread flake or crust & cheese with liquidised bread and garlic in feeder. Downstream rod 3-B boilies & cheese paste with loose fed pellets and boilies.
Results:... 1 Chub @ 4lb-10oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:…Yet again another very pleasant February afternoon with a few FM lads who fish the Ribble to chat with before the serious business began at dusk. Well, what can I say, after the great session yesterday, the Ribble has a way of putting you in your place? Just one bite and one fish, the other lads fairing no better. Although the temperature was just the same as Saturday night -2C, I somehow got very cold and packed in with the rest of the lads around 9:30. By the time I got home to the Dales the temperature had dropped down to -5C and was still dropping.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:...11/03/10
Time fished:...17:00hrs to 01:00hrs
Weather conditions:...Sunny clouding over at dusk with a few spots of rain around mid-night, no wind and no moon.
Water conditions:... Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.07M ANSL and steady.
Air temperature:... 8.1C dropping to 4C.
Water Temperature:... 5C
Results:... 5 Chub, 4 over 4lb best 4lb-13oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:…Probably next to the last session on river before the close season, I’ve taken a couple of days holiday. Bites started at dusk but they were all single knocks or taps with several minutes before the next. Four of the five Chub came to touch legering with crust and cheese paste the other coming to the downstream suicide rod on 3B Boilie wrapped in cheese past. The river is very low, cold and clear, probably quite difficult in the day, but at least it’s dry and quite comfortable moving about on the bank.

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:28 ----------

Date:...13/03/10
Time fished:...16:00hrs to 01:00hrs
Weather conditions:...Overcast and quite breezy, dying down after dusk, no moon.
Water conditions:... Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.06M ANSL and steady.
Air temperature:... 6.8C more or less through out the session.
Water Temperature:... 5.7C
Results:... 1 Chub @ 4lb-9oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:…Last session of the 2009/10 season. I always feel a bit melancholy on the last day of the old season, meeting up with a few of the Ribble lads knowing we wont meet up again for another 9 months when the winter Chubbing season starts once again.
This was a very hard session with bites coming as single knock and plucks well spread out. I tried touch ledgering but couldn’t sustain it for too long so I sat back and decide they’d have to hook them selves and one did at 11:55hrs. Stayed on for another hour but in the last hour there wasn’t even a single knock or pluck, so that was it for another year. On the way back to the car park I stood for a while, looking over the Shire and thinking of what has been and what the new season will bring. The next season should see me finally retire, I think ???

ryboyd

Reaction score
ribble 13/3/10

The next season should see me finally retire, I think ???

I will believe that when I see it John.
Ribbles in your blood. :D

Same night same area.
1 chub 4,2lb at 21.40.

See you in the winter John.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:...16/06/10
Time fished:...00:00hrs to 06:00hrs
Weather conditions:...Clear sky no wind, no moon.
Water conditions:... Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR -0.04M BNSL and steady.
Air temperature:... 11.9C dropping to 4.5C around 02:00hrs.
Water Temperature:... 17.2C
Bait:...Sweetcorn, Bread, Pellet & Paste.
Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod sweetcorn, last hour bread flake, liquidised bread and garlic in feeder. Downstream rod Halibut Pellet & curry paste with PVA bags of micro pellets and JC’s dry ground bait mix.
Results:... 1 small Chub, 3 x roach between 8oz & 12oz, 1 x 1.5lb brownie and 2 x Barbel 8lb-14oz and 6lb-4oz.
Brief description of the session & remarks:…Well here we go again the start of another season on the Ribble. Bit of a mixed bag and with loads of weed and both Barbel took full advantage of it. I had to wade to land both Barbel but both recovered quickly after holding them in the current for a couple of minutes. The river was very low with marginal weed being a problem in swim selection. It was nice to bump into a couple of very old friends I’d not seen for a couple of years and catch up on Ribble gossip. There was a lot of activity all through the night with fish toping and rolling all over the place, with trout and chub knocking hell out of the smaller fish. Nice to get back on the Ribble again but we could do with a couple of weeks of steady rain.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:...17/06/10
Time fished:...23:00hrs to 06:00hrs
Weather conditions:...Clear sky, clouding over about 01:00hrs, no wind.
Water conditions:... Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR -0.05M BNSL and steady.
Air temperature:... 12.5C dropping to 11.4C around 03:00hrs.
Water Temperature:... 21.6C
Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod sweetcorn, last hour bread flake, liquidised bread and garlic in feeder. Downstream rod Halibut Pellet & curry paste with PVA bags of micro pellets and JC’s dry ground bait mix.
Results:... 1 Barbel 9lb.
Brief description of the session & remarks:…The river was very low with marginal weed again being a problem in swim selection. The rivers also beginning to look dirty. Just one bite and one fish all session. I’d the river all to myself with the exception of a fox and an heron that put in an appearance at dawn. I don’t think I’ll be back on the Ribble until gets back to just above normal summer level.

Paul C

Reaction score
Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Above Preston Date:...20/06/10 Time fished:...16:00hrs to 22:00hrs Weather conditions:...Clear, bright sunny, troublesome upstream breeze. Water conditions:...Low with marginal weed and floating clumps to dodge. Air temperature:... N/T. Water Temperature:... N/T Bait:...Hemp, caster & corn later. Method:.. waggler mid river

Results:... 16 really nice roach all 12oz to 1lb, 3 barbel 2.5lb, 3lb and 6lb, 1 brownie 1.25lb and 2 eels.
Brief description of the session & remarks:…The river was very low with marginal weed but with me wading I was able to get out well clear of it. Fished a deep swim and the early season roach came in spells of 2 or 3 fish followed by quiet periods. The upstream breeze was making it hard to present the float in such a slow swim, hence I caught best during lulls in the wind. In the early evening the barbel showed up with two in two casts then a very quiet period. In the final hour the eels moved in and I switched to corn to avoid them, but no success. My mate moved from the deeper water to a shallow peg and had a good last few hours again on the waggler with 7 barbel to over 7.5lb and 6 dace and 2 small chub (the only ones to show all day).
The river looks very difficult for any ledgering at the minute and we had the place to ourselves. Whatever you are doing, in most areas you need waders to get out past the weed to land and release fish.

coelacanth

Reaction score
Date:...16/06/10
Time fished:...16:00hrs to 21:00hrs
Weather conditions:...Warm, bright, scattered clouds
Water conditions:... Very low
Air temperature:... Not taken, estimate 23 dropping to about 18.
Water Temperature:... Not taken
Bait:...Maggot
Method:.. Stick float, Hardy's 15ft with 'pin and RT 15ft with closed-face
Results:... Various chub up to (guessed) 4lb, dace (nowt over 4oz), brownies, sea trout and a salmon smolt.
Brief description of the session & remarks:…Good fun, plenty of bites, spent time in each swim feeding before fishing. In the shallower areas waited until I could see fish swirling for the bait. Few people trying to stick it out on the lead or feeder, bless.
All fish caught from slower stretches were laden with argulus, bit of a concern.

---------- Post added at 12:52 ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 ----------

Date:...17/06/10
Time fished:...19:30 to 22:30 (great these light evenings)
Weather conditions:...Same as previous day.
Water conditions:... Low, very low.
Air temperature:... Not taken, estimate lower 20s down to upper teens by the time we left.
Bait:...Maggots.
Method:.. Trotting
Results:... 1 dace, my companion had a few dace and a couple of chub, but then again he does hex my fishing. Last knockings I hooked into a large migratory, which after debate we think was probably a very large sea trout. We amused each other for a while but then it got bored and decided to see how much line I had on, the hook pulled when I tried to argue.
Brief description of the session & remarks:…Always a good day when on the river. Blackfly got me though, gave me a fat bloke's hand for a couple of days, still look like I stubbed a cig out on my finger.

Paul C

Reaction score
ection of Fishery or river stretch:...Above Preston Date:...26/06/10 Time fished:...17:00hrs to 21:30hrs Weather conditions:...Clear, bright very sunny. Water conditions:...Low with marginal weed and floating clumps to dodge. Air temperature:... N/T. Water Temperature:... N/T Bait:...Hemp & caster. Method:.. waggler mid river

Results:... 5 or 6 dace, about 6 chublets to 1lb, 1 big roach 1lb+ and 1 barbel 2.5lb.
Brief description of the session & remarks:…Alot slower than last week, but it was 10 degrees or so warmer and we were only expecting the last 2 to 3 hours to produce a mix of fish. But it didn't improve much except a few more small chub and dace moved in. Different peg but expected a reasonable few fish when the sun dropped but still nice evening to be waded mid river in a nice spot.
Last week fish were literally topping all over as we left, this week it was very quiet.

coelacanth

Reaction score
Date:...24/06/10
Time fished:...20:30 to 22:30
Weather conditions:...Bright sunshine, few scattered clouds
Water conditions:... Low
Air temperature:... Not taken.
Results:... 1 dace, 1 chub, 1 barbel
Brief description of the session & remarks:…Some @rse had been in my favourite spot and dug out what looked like a gun emplacement, plus had knocked down all the vegetation you could use to sit behind and feed. From being able to slip down the bank into the water through a little gap in the nettles to fish, it looked like someone had take a strimmer to it. Loosefed maggots brought interest only from small fish. I had to search right down the glide to find where the rest of the fish were, and then decided not to fish for them as they looked so spooked. Went further down but time was against me by then.

Date:...28/06/10
Time fished:...17:00-21:45
Weather conditions:...Hot and bright to start with, heavy rain right at the end
Water conditions:... Lowest I've seen, algae becoming a problem even for trotting in some spots, the stones on the bottom could easily be seen everywhere I'd been fishing the previous week (but there were still fish there fortunately).
Air temperature:... Not taken
Results:...Lotsa dace, few chub including some chublets which were good to see, couple of brownies, even a decent gudgeon, first I've ever had out of the Ribble!

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Section of Fishery or river stretch:…River Ribble above Preston
Date:…02/07/10
Time fished:…20:30hrs to 01:00hrs
Weather conditions:…Sunny with light cloud, breezy, half moon showing after midnight.
Water conditions:…Rivercall @ 16:15hrs @ NJR 0.07M BNSL and falling. There was still a lot of weed coming down.
Air temperature:…17.3C dropping to 13C
Water Temperature:…21C
Results:…2 small Chub to 2lb-10oz and a small Barbel at 3lb-10oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… I’d been holding off fishing the Ribble until it had a wee bit more water running through. We had a big thunderstorm on Monday night up in the Yorkshire Dales and when I arrived the river looked good with a wee bit of colour. I had intended to fish through the night however, by 01:00hrs I was fed up with large amounts of weed clogging everything up. The three fish came to my upstream rod, the Barbel on sweetcorn and the two Chub to bread flake. Apart from the racket and screaming coming from a party/disco down the river, it would have been a pleasant evening on the Ribble.

coelacanth

Reaction score
Section of Fishery or river stretch:…above Preston
Date:…06/07/10
Time fished:…19:00hrs to 22:30hrs
Weather conditions:…Bit cooler with blustery wind.
Water conditions:…Low
Air temperature:…not taken
Water Temperature:…not taken
Bait:...maggots
Method:..Trotting using home-made float
Results:…Lots of dace and small chub, couple of trout threw the hook close in
Brief description of the session & remarks:…Went on with a friend, was going to go to the Dane but by the time we could get away the Ribble made more sense. Although there'd obviously been a bit more water through at some point in the past few days, it hadn't been enough to make a real difference, algae still everywhere. Some nice chub spotted on arrival, just not where we were. Good to see all the small stuff, I like catching cheeky little chub who don't know their own limitations. Lost one of my brand-new home-made floats in a snag (think a snig had grabbed the bait when I let it drift into the edge further down while my mate played a fish) but not before it had served its purpose.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:…09/07/10
Time fished:…20:00hrs to 05:30hrs
Weather conditions:…Warm, dull and wet, breezy at dawn.
Water conditions:…Rivercall @ 03:14hrs @ NJR 0.01M BNSL and steady. The river was very low and what rain we have had has not made much difference to the water conditions.
Air temperature:…16.8C raising to 18.6C at dawn
Water Temperature:…19.5C
Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod sweetcorn, alternating with bread flake, liquidised bread and garlic in feeder. Downstream rod Halibut Pellet & curry paste with PVA bags of micro pellets and JC’s dry ground bait mix.
Results:…1 Common Carp 8lb-04oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… I thought the rain we’ve had up in the Dales would have freshened the river a wee bit, but it hadn’t. No trouble with weed but this probably had more to do with the area I was fishing. Not a single bite all night, other than the usual bat bites, with the exception of the carp which was a complete wrap round, rod going in the river type bite. The carp gave a good account of it’s self as they do, unfortunately though it had a terribly disfigured face and mouth. The only other excitement was a heron that landed next to me during the night and a fox I disturbed staking two geese in the car park.

Last edited:

Paul C

Reaction score
Date:…11/07/10 Time fished:…18:00hrs to 22:00hrs
Weather conditions:…Warm & dry.
Water conditions:…still low with plenty of weed moving about. Air temperature:…N/T. Water Temperature:…N/T Bait:...Hemp and Sweetcorn. Method:.. Waggler.
Results:…2 barbel both around 3.5 to 4lb and handful of chub and dace.

Brief description of the session & remarks:… Short session and slightly last minute so I had no casters or maggot, so bait was corn or corn.
Started slow but continuous feeding eventually created some interest with a barbel. Within minutes I was attached to another which was very determined to reach a snag. I had to put the brakes on hard and the hook length gave way just above the hook. After that it went quiet again, before a few dace and chub made an appearance. I then pulled out of something which transpired was foul hooked as I returned with a scale. I managed another barbel shortly after.
There were quite a good number of smaller fish in the swim and caster would have produced better results, certainly with the shoal fish. They were having a go at the corn from time to time, but without any real conviction.
Oddly no decent chub again and this peg is normally a banker for a few big chub.

Last edited:

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:…17/07/10
Time fished:…19:00hrs to 05:00hrs
Weather conditions:…Changeable with sunny intervals, breeze dropping at dusk.
Water conditions:…Rivercall @ 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.28M ANSL and steady. The river was carrying some colour and looked good.
Air temperature:…16.2 dropping to 15.6C at dawn
Water Temperature:…17.3C
Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod sweetcorn alternating with bread flake, liquidised bread and garlic in feeder. Downstream rod Halibut Pellet & curry paste with PVA bags of micro pellets and JC’s dry ground bait mix.
Results:…1 Chub 3lb-12oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… This looked like it would be a good session if the drop in water temp hadn’t put the fish off feeding. Couple of hours into the session there was a run on the up stream rod, which at the time was on sweetcorn, by the time I stopped the run the fish was a good 50 metres down river. Then it swung into the bank into/under a sunken tree. Unfortunately, there was a bush and a fence between me and the fish. The inevitable happened, a break just above the hook and a badly frayed line. Only one more bite during the session and that resulted in the 3lb-12oz chub around 3-o-clock in the morning. The night life was very active especial the bugs and the bats but not the Chub!
Tuesday 20th and it’s not stopped raining up here in the Dales, the Ribble at Settle is carrying quite a bit of water, roll on the weekend.

Paul C

Reaction score
Date:…24/07/10 Time fished:…17:00hrs to 21:00hrs
Weather conditions:…showers to start, then constant rain...
Water conditions:…A little more water and weed free. Air temperature:…N/T. Water Temperature:…N/T Bait:...Hemp and Caster and Sweetcorn. Method:.. Waggler.
Results:…2 nice chub, 1 big roach, one half decent chub and 25 or so small dace, chublets and best speci sized fish of the year.....a huge gudgeon.

Brief description of the session & remarks:… I knew the river would be busy compared to previous weeks and it was, with anglers everywhere. However, no one was catching and most went home without so much as an eel.
The session was a bit disappointing in terms of the overall quality of the fish. The river freshening up seems to have brought the small stuff to life and I was struggling to get through the small dace and chub, with the casters being attacked on impact. Most better fish came when I switched to corn and the bait got chance to run through the swim properly without getting smashed to bits.
No barbel which was a surprise these days.
I also pulled out of what would have been a third large chub, before the relentless rain came and I decided on an early finish and that a pint of the hand pulled stuff was in order whilst I dried out.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:…30/07/10
Time fished:…20:00hrs to 05:00hrs
Weather conditions:…Rained throughout most of the session, on wind.
Water conditions:…Rivercall @ 15:15 @ NJR 0.02M ANSL and falling. However, by midnight the river started to rise slowly about 0.15M by dusk.
Air temperature:…17.4C only dropping to 15.2C at dawn
Water Temperature:…17.7C
Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod sweetcorn alternating with bread flake, liquidised bread and sweetcorn in feeder. Downstream rod Halibut Pellet & curry paste with PVA bags of micro pellets and JC’s dry ground bait mix.
Results:…1 Barbel 9lb-4oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… The river was surprisingly low even though it had been raining hard for a few hours and on and off during the week. This was a very quiet session, other than the Barbel, I can only remember one good knock that wasn’t a bat bite. However, just as I was picking my down stream rod up to pack up I had a run but lifted into nothing. The only memorable event other than the Barbel was the infestation of slugs, I’ve never seen as many. Every time I moved to pick something up I was touching a slug, they were on my rods, bait boxes, buttie box, flask inside and outside my rucksack, and I counted over 30 on the underside of my brolly. However, only two managed to make it back to the Dales but all my gear and clothing was covered in slug trails.

Paul C

Reaction score
Date:…3/08/10
Time fished:…16:00hrs to 21:25 hrs
Weather conditions:…showers and breezy to start, then dried up and settled.
Water conditions:…River still low. Air temperature:…N/T. Water Temperature:…N/T
Bait:...Hemp and Caster and Sweetcorn.
Method:.. Waggler.
Results:…50+ dace mainly 4oz to 6 oz with odd ones 8oz to 10oz, 25 to 30 cublets, 6 quality roach, 3 chub 1.5lb to 2lb and 2 barbel one 6lb 10 the other about 3lb.

Brief description of the session & remarks:… Started a bit slow, with just odd chub, dace and roach. Very liitle topping. Picked up as the wind died and just got better and better. The swim ended up black with dace to the extent they were attacking the bait and loose feed on impact. The last hour and half were just solid with dace and to a lesser extent chub. Had the odd good roach in amongst and pulled out of a barbel before having 2 spaced out over the evening.
Very enjoyable session and I was gutted when the light went as it was fishing so well.

Last edited:

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:…06/08/10
Time fished:…20:00hrs to 05:00hrs
Weather conditions:…Weather overcast and showers.
Water conditions:…Rivercall @ 15:15 @ NJR 0.02M ANSL and steady.
Air temperature:…17.5C rising to 18.1C at dawn
Water Temperature:…17.6C
Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod sweetcorn alternating with bread flake, liquidised bread and sweetcorn in feeder. Downstream rod Halibut Pellet & curry paste with PVA bags of micro pellets and JC’s dry ground bait mix.
Results:…2 Barbel to 7lb-13oz, 1 x 3/4lb Roach and 2 eels
Brief description of the session & remarks:… The river looked good with loads of fish splashing about. I was plagued all night with eels so I left all the knocks and plucks until the rod tip wrapped around. Both the Barbel came to halibut pellet wrapped in cheese paste and the Roach came to a large piece of crust and cheese paste. Still no sign of any Chub.

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:29 ----------

Date:…08/08/10
Time fished:…15:00hrs to 23:00hrs
Weather conditions:…Light cloud with sunny intervals.
Water conditions:…Rivercall @ 03:15 @ NJR 0.02M ANSL and rising, although when I arrived the river had dropped and was holding steady
Air temperature:…17.1C dropping to 13.2C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:…17.6C
Bait:...Sweetcorn, Bread, 3-B Boilies & Paste.
Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod 3-B boilies up to dusk then sweetcorn alternating with bread flake, liquidised bread and sweetcorn in feeder. Downstream rod 3-B boilies & curry paste with PVA bags of micro pellets and JC’s dry ground bait mix.
Results:…4 Barbel to 9lb-8oz,
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Again the river looked good and I had this section all to myself. I had two small Barbel late afternoon and two larger ones after dusk, the largest came to a single grain of sweetcorn and yet again still no sign of any Chub.

Last edited: