Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  309
Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

No, I lost 6. I was referring to the lost time redoing hooklengths etc.

Hardly trailing tackle, a 16's hook and a few inches of hooklength. I target anything that will eat a caster.

If we avoided swims with rocks and boulders on the ribble, most of it would be out of bounds.

None of us set out to lose fish, but sometimes it happens. That's fishing.
    Last edited by Paul C; 01-07-2015 at 21:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
    No, I lost 6. I was referring to the lost time redoing hooklengths etc.

Hardly trailing tackle, a 16's hook and a few inches of hooklength. I target anything that will eat a caster.

If we avoided swims with rocks and boulders on the ribble, most of it would be out of bounds.

None of us set out to lose fish, but sometimes it happens. That's fishing.
    Ok Paul, I thought you were legering, as you say a 16's hook shouldn't be much of a problem.
    By the way, I do know the ribble and fish it quite a lot so am familiar with the rocks / snags etc.
    Being honest though if I was being snapped off so many times like that i'd either move elsewhere or go home and come back tomorrow with a different set up.

I've had plenty of hook pulls in the last few years on the float, but not often I get bust off.

At 9pm I wasn't going to move and I am single parent so coming back tomorrow isn't a luxury I have. My next opportunity is over 2 weeks away.

I ended up using 5lb fluro hooklength but still lost three on that and landed 3.

Walking away is credible but I think you are the exception, as most people, if they are honest, would try changing their set up, how they played them etc and persevering when sat on a swim of mixed size and species of feeding fish. That's what I did and yes, next time I will modify things for that peg in the hope I improve on the lost fish ratio.

I've had plenty of hook pulls in the last few years on the float, but not often I get bust off.

At 9pm I wasn't going to move and I am single parent so coming back tomorrow isn't a luxury I have. My next opportunity is over 2 weeks away.

I ended up using 5lb fluro hooklength but still lost three on that and landed 3.

Walking away is credible but I think you are the exception, as most people, if they are honest, would try changing their set up, how they played them etc and persevering when sat on a swim of mixed size and species of feeding fish. That's what I did and yes, next time I will modify things for that peg in the hope I improve on the lost fish ratio.

Fair enough Paul, good luck in future.

Date:.. Thursday 02/07/15
    Venue:... Ribble
    Time fished:... 22:30hrs 06:30hrs
    Weather conditions:... Clear sky then very dense river mist from dusk until dawn, full moon illuminating the mist, quite spooky, no wind
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.31M and steady.
    Air temperature:... 13.6C dropping to 10.4C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 23.9C
    Bait:... Crust & Halibut Pellet/cheese paste
    Method:.. 2 rods both fished 50M out – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread and sweetcorn. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet/Cheese Paste and PVA Bag filled with micro pellets.
    Results:... One Barbel 6lb-10oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… I managed to dodge the thunderstorms but I've yet to catch a chub on the Ribble when there is a full moon and or a very dense river mist. Fortunately, this does not seem to trouble the barbel, but that said, I'd just one bite in the eight hour session.

Quote Originally Posted by john conway (CSG - ACA) View Post
    .... I'd just one bite in the eight hour session.
    Date:.. Friday 03/07/15
    Venue:... Ribble - Elston
    Time fished:... 14:30hrs -> 20:30hrs
    Weather conditions:... Changeable - weird - unsettled - scorching sunshine - dead calm - hazy cloud - threatening rain - downstream wind.
    Unsettled with occassional sunburn!
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 14:30hrs 0.86m and steady.
    Air temperature:... 23C dropping to 19C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... ??C
    Bait:... Halibut Pellet/cheese paste on feeder stuffed with hemp, Maggots / worm on float.

Gusting, changeable downstream wind made stick float difficult holding back or caused tip to dance like an eejit on the feeder! Then change back to the sunshine and flat calm - repeat at random periods!

Whilst looking for the Grayling all I found were Dace, small dace, even smaller dace and minnows! - fairly hooked on 2-3 maggies on a 14
    Then while after Barbel - nowt! - until just as I was packing-up - bang - it's a biggy - no it's not - yes it is - oh No it's an Eel! Nearly a pound - the b*gger had coiled round the weed when I struck - giving a good pull back - then had slipped and slid through the water towards me - then got into some weed near the bank for another fight - before finally surrendering! It kindly decided to unhook itself on landing which saved the slimy embrace!

If that wasn't bad enough looked behind the chair and found the slugs launching a mass-attack on me hempseed - eugh! I'd been speculatively loose-feeding them to any lurking chub all afternoon as they sidled into my pitch - to no avail!

Talking to other anglers on the bank - same story all round - no Barbel - not a Chub to be seen - nobody wanted me slugs - eels, eels, eels all round! We always used to reckon eels was a sign of thundery weather on the way - just made it home before the storm started
    Unsettled weather -> unsettled water -> unsettled fish -> unsettled fishing -> unsettled angler!

Needs a flush of water through but I don't think there's been as much rain as the donner und blitzen promised!

Tight Lines!

I think you are pretty safe Paul on 5lb bottoms, its not something I profess to be an expert on but it's much more likely that somebody fishing heavy on the feeder is going to tether a fish ie. following a break off. Fish with a single hook and light mono attached seem to carry on regardless, as you catch them quite regularly. Keep up the float fishing reports, you inspired me to get out the float gear for the first time in years recently. I can't really chip in due to club rules. What reels are you using ? My Mitchell Matches that I previously trotted with seem a bit clumsy after using modern reels, I have never got on with centrepins, and the modern fixed spools I have tried are much further from the rod than MMs and thus a lot harder to use when trapping the line.

Hi Jonathan

Nice to hear you got out on the float. It's a great method early season in particular when the river is a bit lower and conditions not great for the feeder.

I keep it very general, so if I am on a club water that has a publicity ban, it's not contravening anything. Well not to my knowledge. My theory on the rule in question is that they don't want their waters named or photo's identifiable with one of their waters. I think stating I caught this or that on the Ribble or explaining the make up of a swim is ok as it doesn't give anything away or identify a club stretch or peg.

In the main I use a Shimano Super 2500 GTM. It's a small reel, so reaching the spool is not a problem. Plus I like to use the fighting drag to adjust it quickly and clamp down on a running fish or slacken it off when it gets under the rod tip and likely to surge away.

In the main I use a Shimano Super 2500 GTM. It's a small reel, so reaching the spool is not a problem. Plus I like to use the fighting drag to adjust it quickly and clamp down on a running fish or slacken it off when it gets under the rod tip and likely to surge away.
    I have noticed that a Shimano 4000 I have is the best I have got in terms of how close the spool is. And yes the main reason the Mitchell's are no good now is the lack of a decent drag, I used to just back wind with those, but it was mainly chub at the time.

Date:.. Thursday 09/07/15
    Venue:... Ribble
    Time fished:... 22:00hrs to 06:30hrs
    Weather conditions:... Light cloud, no wind, no moon.
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.35M and steady.
    Air temperature:... 13.1C rising to 16C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 20.7C
    Bait:... Bread Flake, Crust and Halibut Pellet/cheese paste
    Method:.. 2 rods both fished 50M out – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread and sweetcorn. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet/Cheese Paste and feeder filled with liquidised bread and sweetcorn.
    Results:... One Chub 3lb-8oz and one Barbel 6lb-5oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… A quick overnight trip before a very busy two weeks possible four. The river looked OK slightly up on the last time but I wasn't that confident, other anglers have had a few hard days lately. Only two bites all the session the first @ 01:10hrs resulting in a chub and the barbel came 30 mins later and that was that for the rest of the session. Both fish were caught on bread flake. However, I did watch a deer jump into the river from the far bank and swim/walk across on to my side.

---------- Post added at 18:14 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ackers View Post
    . but it's much more likely that somebody fishing heavy on the feeder is going to tether a fish ie. following a break off. ..
    Not if don't use a tether setup and your cast is a lower BS to your main line. All my break offs have been at the hook or when I've lost a feeder, at or near the swivel joining my cast to my main line. Occasionally the main line breaks a foot or so above the feeder due to abrasion.

Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast