Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  309
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

Fished the Ribble near Preston on the blockend feeder with hemp & mini pellets with small pellets superglued to the hair & caught 3 barbel between 5 & 6lbs, 3 eels & 1 chub 4lbs plus. This was between 12.00 & 20.15pm. Wish I had brought float gear as I think I would have done better. The river was down to the bones.

Date:.. Friday 31/07/15
    Venue:... Ribble
    Time fished:... 18:30hrs 00:00hrs
    Weather conditions:... Overcast, no wind
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.42M and steady.
    Air temperature:... 16.5C falling to 13C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 17.7C
    Bait:... Crust & Halibut Pellet/cheese paste
    Method:.. 2 rods both fished 50M out – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread and sweetcorn. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet/Cheese Paste - PVA Bag filled with micro pellets and ground bait.
    Results:... Blank
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… This was just a quick trip on the back of a wee bit of water over the last couple of days. Not a single bite and although there was a full moon there was plenty of cloud but it was still light enough to walk back to my van with the need of my headlamp. I was a bit disappointed because the river looked OK.

Date:.. Saturday 15/08/15
    Time fished:... 17:30hrs 22:30hrs
    Weather conditions:... Sunny with the odd cloud and light breeze, no moon.
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.65M and falling.
    Air temperature:... 21.7C falling to 11.7C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 18.8C
    Method:.. 2 rods both fished 50M out – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread and sweetcorn. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet/Cheese Paste - PVA Bag filled with micro pellets and ground bait.
    Results:... Three chub 4lb, 4lb-5oz and 3lb-10oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… This was again another quick evening trip on the back of a wee bit of water. No bites until after dusk. The fist chub came at 21:05hrs and the other two shortly after. It was very pleasant sitting in the sun with a reward of three chub when it went dark two of them 4lb+. It started to drizzle as I walked back to my van.

Date:.. Friday 21/08/15
    Time fished:... 17:00hrs 22:30hrs
    Weather conditions:... Rained throughout most of the session, on wind.
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.41M and steady.
    Air temperature:... 22.2C falling to 16C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 23.1C
    Method:.. 2 rods both fished 60M out – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread and sweetcorn. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet/Cheese Paste and a feeder filled with liquidised bread and sweetcorn.
    Results:... One barbel 7lb-14oz and two sub 4lb chub
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… The weather looked bad for the next few days so a quick trip down before the weed started to come down. The first fish was a 7lb-14oz barbel at 18:25hrs caught on Pellet/Cheese Paste then just the two sub 4lb chub in the last hour of the session caught on crust. This was a very wet session with loads of big black slugs invading my rucksack and bait.

Date 25.8.15
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 18:00 till 21:20
    Weather conditions: some heavy showers
    Water conditions : 0.30 at Ribchester
    Bait – corn & pellet
    Air temp – NT
    Water temp: NT
    Method: single feeder rod
    Results: 2 barbel

A quick trip after work and I had no time to order float baits, so I just went armed with a feeder rod.
    The river looked in good nick with a little extra colour and still and dropping slowly. However, it was disappointing with very little activity in the swim and very few bites. There was very little surface activity all evening either.

I had a barbel just over 6lb after about an hour and 40 mins but with no real signs before or after. I had a second smaller barbel at 8:50pm, again it was all quiet other than the takes.

I was intending to do another couple of hours, but left early when there was a break in the showers as it wasn't going to switch on.

Hopefully back out at the weekend with the float rod.

Date 30.8.15
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 15:45 till 22:10
    Weather conditions: Nice mild dry evening
    Water conditions : Almost back to NSL a tinge of colour still
    Bait – Caster, hemp, corn & pellet
    Air temp – NT
    Method: Float rod and later single feeder rod
    Results: Good numbers of big dace from 8oz to 12oz, 8 to 10 roach, a few chublets, a decent chub of 3.5lb and a few minnows on the float. A barrbel 7lb 14oz and a chub around 3lb on the feeder.

A nice evening to be out. It was slow to stop early on and the first hour and a quarter being hard work with just a couple of dace and minnows. I stopped for tea and put the feeder rod in the swim for 20 mins. No action, but once back on the float it was much improved with spells of big dace and odd roach, albeit not the bigger roach that can pop up.

It got better as the evening went on and the dace showed very well over the last hour and a quarter of light and a decent chub also snatched the casters on the surface. A few more of those would have been the icing and I expected some as the light fell but the dace kept me busy.

Earlier on when the the dace backed off the minnows and small stuff hampered things a bit with damaging the caster in the first few feet of water, but it fished well in all with really good quality dace that fought hard.

I put the feeder rod in the swim at dark. I'd not had any barbel takes on the float at all but some decent fished topped and a couple came clean out of the water so I knew they were about. I had a take whilst I was putting the float rod away and played it briefly but lost it. I landed the only barbel 15 mins later before a lull and no real signs until a chub showed 20 mins before I called it a night.

27/8/15

Fished the Ribble near Preston on blockend feeder with hemp & mini pellets to small pellets superglued to the hair from 11.55 till 20.00pm.
    1 barbel 6 to 7 lbs range
    2 chub - 4.1 & 3.11
    1 eel
    Another slow session with the river level around 8 inches higher than my previous visit here.

Date:.. Thursday 03/09/15
    Time fished:... 17:30hrs 24:00hrs
    Weather conditions:... Overcast no wind.
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.39M and steady.
    Air temperature:... 16.4C falling to 11C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 16.6C
    Bait:... Crust & Crust/cheese paste
    Method:.. 2 rods – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread and sweetcorn. Downstream Rod Crust/Cheese Paste and loose fed corn and pellets.
    Results:... 4 dace, 1 roach and a 2lb chub
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… The weather and river looked OK with plenty of surface activity, one or two barbel topping. I lost one large fish just before dusk, which kited down river straight into some submerged tree roots and snapped me. After dusk plenty of taps and knocks some of which resulted in 4 dace and a roach all between half and three quarters of a pound. My last fish came at 23:10hrs and was a small chub of 2lb. Just before dusk, I had 20 bullocks’ stroll pass me into the woods crashing and banging. I was concerned that they may have come back but they didn’t.

3/9/15

A short evening session, the river looked good, but just one chub of 4lbish in daylight and an 8lb barbel as it went dark. Other anglers seemed to be struggling also. The river has been out sorts for me, not sure if others agree. I'm just hoping things come good for Sept and October !

9/9/15

A middle of the day struggle, I don't think I have seen the river clearer, some shallow pegs I have done OK in the past and I could see the bottom clearly. So I wasn't expecting much in middle of the day conditions and didn't get much ;-) I started on the float and tried various pegs and caught micro dace and minnows out of pegs where you wouldn't normally get them. Two reasonable dace and a couple of 4oz roach the only 'proper' fish. I switched to the feeder, not a sniff on pellet so I went lighter and started getting a few knocks on caster eventually resulting in one decent chub and a lost barbel.
    Last edited by ribble2015; 10-09-2015 at 12:08.

Date 9.9.15
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 16:30 till 21:10
    Weather conditions: Nice mild dry evening
    Water conditions : Low and clear
    Bait – Caster, hemp, maggot, corn & pellet
    Air temp – NT
    Method: Float rod and later single feeder rod
    Results: A good mix of decent dace, roach and chublets

I planned to fish a new peg, but the only angler on the whole stretch was on that very spot, just under a mile from the car! I ended up walking further still and fished an area I had only fished once before, a good few years ago. It's slow water and back then threw up some nice roach and an odd big chub.

I thought I was in for a re-run as third trot down I had a roach of around a pound. As it was, I caught a fairly even mix of roach, dace and chub but nothing over a 1lb.

Things seem to be settling down a bit after the early season barbel catches on the float and the silver fish are now getting a look in and sessions get stronger as the evening draws to a close.

The last hour and 20 mins of light were particularly good with instant bites and some good action having come up in the water, as takes came earlier and mainly in the upper layers as fish were competing for the lose feed.

When the light went I dropped the feeder rod over the same swim, but 50 mins later I'd had no signs of better fish showing any interest, so I called it quits.

It was a very dark night and bit tricky making the long trek back to the car from a spot I wasn't too familiar with as parts of the terrain were overgrown with vegetation.

16/9/15

A 6hr+ session into dark and the river was looking good with a bit of extra water so hopes were high. I did about 3hrs on the float and it was bite a chuck from the off on maggot/caster/hemp, and ended up with the probably 30 fish, mostly dace, with about 10 roach, and a trout. Nothing over 12oz and no signs of chub or barbel. I kept trying pellet on the feeder and in 3.5hrs including some in the dark I managed just one bite for a single barbel. So good and bad, the barbel are proving elusive, but I don't think I have seen the river this full of dace and roach for years, if ever. I had a go on the float early season on a different length and it was small roach a chuck. There must be some decent roach in numbers out there but finding and catching them is another matter.

Date:.. Thursday 24/09/15
    Time fished:... 17:30hrs 22:30hrs
    Weather conditions:... Cloudy with the odd bright spell. After dusk big moon coming and going behind clouds, it started to rain in the last hour of the session.
    Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.36M and steady.
    Air temperature:... 13C falling to 11C by the end of the session.
    Water Temperature:... 16.2C
    Bait:... Crust & Crust/cheese paste
    Method:.. 2 rods – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread and sweetcorn. Downstream Rod Crust/Cheese Paste and loose fed corn and pellets.
    Results:... Three chub to 4lb
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… This was just a quick trip down to the Ribble just to keep my hand in. There was only one other lad on this stretch but of late the river has been patchy so I was not surprised. No bites until after dusk, then only three, which produced three chub but only one making 4lb.

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast