Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  309
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Default Re: Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

Fishing tomorrow for barbel tomorrow after a break of about 6 years.Reading the latest posts it seems to me the barbel have become a bit more nocturnal,I will be fishing a peg that used to fish really well on low water during the day.Let you know how I go on.

river down to bare bones,had just one barbel around 5lb on pellet.mate fishing next to me had one chub around 3lb on worm.loads of small sea trout jumping all over river,and a few salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by malc blake View Post
    river down to bare bones,had just one barbel around 5lb on pellet.mate fishing next to me had one chub around 3lb on worm.loads of small sea trout jumping all over river,and a few salmon.
    It's about par at the moment I'm afraid. Last autumn with the river equally on its bones you would start catching at dusk but not this year ( so far ! ).

Date 9.10.15
    Section River Ribble
    Time: 12:15 till 5:45
    Weather conditions: Mild dry, overcast / hazy
    Water conditions : 0.22 and falling at ribchester and a little colour still
    Bait – corn, pellet and chopped down mini boilies
    Air temp – NT
    Water temp: NT
    Method: single feeder rod
    Results: 5 chub to 3.5lb and one barbel 9lb 12oz

Finding it difficult to report promptly these days and almost forget to at times. I had to change plans. I was supposed to be on a day earlier into dark, but due to traffic chaos in Manchester I was the only one who made it to work and thus the early finish was a no go like the M60.

So, I took some time off friday but had a commitment in the evening so the best I could do was a short afternoon. Fortunately the sun was dulled by the cloud and a little colour in the water gave me hope on small baits despite the time of day.

I fished a peg I have been trying to have a go at of late that a friend tells me holds good numbers of fish of all types and he's done really well from the area.

The first two hours were a write off, but I was hopeful of catching a feeding spell and so it proved. I lost a chub after a few knocks and bangs on the previous casts.I quickly managed to get one although only about 2lb on pellet. With the chub about I switched to some 10mm boilies that always work really well in autumn and winter, which I cut and chop down really tiny to about 5 or 6mm size. I had 3 more in quick succession but none bigger than 3lb, before the feeding spell stopped and normal service resumed.

The sun appeared about 4pm and it was lovely and warm. I expected little else but at the brightest and warmest part of the day I had the barbel on mini pellet, which I could tell was decent from the way it fought slow and hard. I thought it was a double but it didn't quite make it. I added the best chub of the day on corn about 45 mins later.

Ribble near Ribchester.
    Today I fished from 13.15 till 18.05 for chub covering 3 swims using cheese paste smeared breadcrust to liquidized bread in a cage swimfeeder.
    Started off really well taking 3 chub in 4 casts but then it slowed down. I had no response in the second swim & then 2 more chub in the last swim into dark.
    Today the river was back within its banks up a couple of feet & coloured.
    A mild day for December.
    Session total 5 chub _ 4.5, 4.2, 3.13, 3.7 & 3lbs.
    Last edited by leeds utd 2011; 07-01-2016 at 21:38.

Fished the Ribble yesterday for chub covering 5 swims using cheese paste smeared breadcrust & ended up with 6 chub between 1lb 5 oz & 4lb 15oz.
    The river was up about 2 feet & slightly coloured. It was interesting surveying the river & the change in swim features after the recent heavy flooding.

Smile Re: Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

Ribble @ Ribchester 24/01/2016 1pm to 4:30.

River 2ft above & nice colour to it.

2 Rods, Maggot feeder(1) & pellet(2)

1st cast had small bite on maggot feeder - resulting in...... a Bullhead! Not seen one of these for 45 years.

3:45 put a large piece of meat on, 1st cast rod bounced round though it was lead settling, resulted in 10-0 Barbel, 1st double figure fish from a river, over the moon.

2 fish, smallest & largest out of a river, you just got to love lady Ribble.

Smile Re: Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

River Ribble above Preston 14/03/16
    3:00pm-10:30pm
    Normal river levels approx 0.36m
    2 Rods Ground-bait Feeder with pellet, corn and dead maggots

Started session with maggot feeder and picked up a small Grayling at 4:00pm. Baited swim at 5:00pm with a few large balls of ground-bait on each rod, awaiting nightfall with the usual anticipation. At exactly 6:30pm I had my first 3ft twitch on my downstream rod, which resulted in a 5LB+ Barbel to 14mm Halibut Pellet (Good Start) and signs that Barbel were willing to feed. I had a couple of savage plucks on my upstream rod on meat, but they didn't progress and I put them down to Chub. 7:20pm and my downstream rod sprung into life again, with the open drag screaming, resulting in a 7LB+ Barbel to 14mm Halibut pellet. I changed bait on my upstream rod and switched from a large piece of luncheon meat to a small piece of hair-rigged Pepperami, with loose offerings in the feeder. At 8:10 the upstream rod hooped over and the fish began to take line, I immediately lifted into the fish and was met by an initial powerful run on the drag and then a steady heavy plod, which told me it as a good fish, after about a 6min fight I netted the fish and was greeted by a huge head and broad shoulders, tipping the scales at 10lb12oz (This was now turning into a great end of season session). I followed this up with a 3lb+ chub at 09:20pm and another 3LB+ Chub at 09:50pm, one falling to a piece of Mega Corn and the other to an 8mm pellet, one upstream and one downstream. Packed in at 10:30pm a very happy Ribble Rover.

Good luck to everyone for the new season in June 16

http://settlehydro.hubexpert.com:8080/shcamweir.php

The above website shows a nice flush of Water coming down the ribble from settle. It's a handy site to show what the rivers doing higher up.
    The hodder is up as well.

Well after many years (14 i think) of fishing the ribble for barbel n chub i set myself the target of catching a carp from the ribble . So last thursday armed with 2 rods , net , unhooking mat and a bucket of bait n bits of terminal tackle i set off along the ribble above peston . The bright sunny conditions were not the best for fishing but with the river low i thought it would be good day to spot a carp or two . Within 40 mins of walking up river i spotted my first ribble carp , then another 20 yards further upstream ,neither one a monster and lucky if they were doubles. I trickled a bit of bait nearby and continued my walk upsteram .an hour later after not spoting any more i returned to my baited spot to find 7 carp heads down tails up on my bait . It couldnt be that easy i thought to myself as i lowered a bait into the river 10 yards upstream of the carp as not to spook em. The biggest fish in the group was no more than 15lbs but i couldnt belive id fpund a few let alone got them feeding ..... 10 mins after placing my bait i watched as 3 of the carp swam towards the baited rig . The first picked up the bait n spat it out in the blink of an eye but the second fish to pick the bait up bolted across river with line pouring from the spool.of my reel , after a short fight it was ready for the net but as i dipped the net to land it the hook came out and all i could do was watch it wave its tail at me as swam away. I was gutted . The rest of the carp had disapeared . Dropping another couple of hand fulls of bait in the area i again walked off to try n find another carp or two . An hour or so passed without the sight of another carp so on my way back to the car i checked the area i had lost the carp in earlier . To mysuprise their were two carp feeding on the spot . I quietly lowered my baited rig onto the baited spot and 20 mins later the rod was away again .... this time the hook stayed in and i landed my first ribble carp . Not a monster at 11lb but a lovely looking linnier .
    Not a bad day considering it was my first trip out targeting the ribble carp.

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast