Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  309
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Above Preston
    Date:...17/01/10
    Time fished:...15:30hrs to 22:00hrs
    Weather conditions:...Light cloud, no wind and no moon.
    Water conditions:... Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.83M ANSL and falling.
    Air temperature:... 5.5C dropping to 2.4C.
    Water Temperature:... 4.3C
    Bait:...Bread, cheese, 3-B boilies & Paste.
    Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod bread flake or crust & cheese with liquidised bread in feeder. Downstream rod 3-B boilies & cheese paste with PVA bag of micro pellets & dry ground bait.
    Results:... 2 Chub best 4lb-1oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:… Because I was snowed in over the Christmas break, its been over a month since I was last on the river, so it was great to be on the bank again even though there was still some snowmelt in the river. With the exception of my two fish, my rod tips never moved in the 6-1/2hrs session. After dusk four young swans sat at the waters edge with me through most of the session, they didn’t move much while I landed my chub either. Although it was very pleasant on the bank, in the car park I was up to my ankles in sheep sh*t, mud and pee. My van didn’t half stink when I got home, still I was well chuffed with my 1st 4lb + Chub of the new year.

2. Default

Nice post John, FM needs them big style at the moment!...............you are lucky to have a fishing van, mine is also the family "tourer" ........i get lots of comments on it's "vapours"

Date:...23/01/10
    Time fished:...14:30hrs to 23:00hrs
    Weather conditions:...Overcast, misty, dank and cold with no wind.
    Water conditions:... Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.56M ANSL and falling.
    Air temperature:... 4.7C dropping to 3.6C.
    Water Temperature:... 4.7C
    Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod bread flake or crust & cheese with liquidised bread and micro pellets in feeder. Downstream rod 3-B boilies & cheese paste with PVA bag of micro pellets & dry ground bait. At start of session, I throw in several large balls of scalded ewe nuts and hemp and a few loose fed boilies.
    Results:... 1 Chub best 3lb-4oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:…Once again it was good to be able to get on the river, 20 canoeist and several walkers all had the same idea. However, come dusk there was just me plus a couple Ribble old timers settling down for another evening session on the Ribble. I lost one Chub an hour into the session whilst I was bringing it to the net and the one that made it to the net came whilst I was talking to one of the lads just on dusk. She was a very long slim fish but clean with no signs of flood damage, she fell to crust and cheese paste. After that, it was just the odd knock. In the last couple of hours both rods never moved. The four swans of last week came back for a short while and they seemed to have picked up another very juvenile swan that’s not yet got it’s white plumage. The walk back to my van through the woods and the long up hill drag was hard work and slow going. I’d to stop a few times to get my bearings in the mist which was quite thick come mid-night. Ho for the joys of mid-winter fishing.

Hi John,
    It was nice to speak to you just before christmas.
    Hope to bump in to you before the river season finishes.

Tony.
    Last edited by Tony Jolley; 24-01-2010 at 21:35.

Date:...30/01/10
    Time fished:...16:30hrs to 22:00hrs
    Weather conditions:...Bright and sunny, no wind and a full moon.
    Water conditions:... Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.24M ANSL and falling.
    Air temperature:... 0.7C dropping to -4C.
    Water Temperature:... 1C
    Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod bread flake or crust & cheese with liquidised bread and micro pellets in feeder. Downstream rod 3-B boilies & cheese paste with PVA bag of micro pellets & dry ground bait. At start of session, I throw in a few loose fed boilies.
    Results:... 3 Chub all over 4lb best 4lb-8oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:…Beautiful late afternoon/early evening session on the river, just me and the “Bad One” we thought it might be a one or two fish session with the fish coming at dusk into dark. We both did better than that, however, by 21:00hrs the “Bad One” left followed by me an hour later. I caught my last chub bang on 21:00hrs while saying good night to the “Bad One”. I decide to stay on a wee bit longer but my rods never move and by 22:00hrs the full moon had risen well above the tree line and it was as bight as day light over the full length of the river, absolutely beautiful, but bad news for Chubbing on the Ribble. Having said that, I have to say that quite a few CSG members do catch on a full moon, but they are mostly fishing small rivers and roving about. The walk back to the car park was lovely, I never had to use my head torch once and the sheep toilet of a car park was frozen solid, minus 6C back at my van.

Date:...07/02/10
    Time fished:...16:00hrs to 22:00hrs
    Weather conditions:...Overcast, cold and damp, no moon showing.
    Water conditions:... Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.23M ANSL and falling.
    Air temperature:... 5.6C dropping to 2.8C.
    Water Temperature:... 4.3C
    Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod bread flake or crust & cheese with liquidised bread and micro pellets in feeder. Downstream rod 3-B boilies & cheese paste with PVA bag of micro pellets & dry ground bait.
    Results:... 3 Chub, best 4lb-0oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:…Typical, cold damp February afternoon. There were a few lads on the river but I’m not sure if anyone else was catching, my three Chub came after dusk over a period of about two hours. Around dusk about 500 geese arrived down river, then over a period of about an hour they swam in small groups up through my swim, congregated about 50M up stream then flew off creating a great disturbance. My last chub came at 19:50 hrs followed shortly by the four resident swans that took up residence under my rod tip, occasionally venturing on land to nibble up crumbs dropped from my feeder.

7. Default

Date:...05/02/10
    Time fished:...13:00hrs to 17:00hrs
    Weather conditions:...cloudy almost flat calm
    Water conditions:...a couple feet up but dropping, nicely coloured
    Air temperature:... mild
    Water Temperature:...cold
    Bait:...maggot,bread
    Method:.. feeder with crumb and ledgered bread
    Results:.. 2 chub about 3lb and a trout about 2lb

all fish came to maggot

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 ----------

Date:...09/02/10
    Time fished:...11:00hrs to 16:00hrs
    Weather conditions:....cloudy with sunny spells,brisk ne wind
    Water conditions:... almost normal level and clear
    Air temperature:... cold
    Water Temperature:... cold
    Bait:...maggot and bread
    Method:..feeder with bread crumb,ledgered bread
    Results:...blank not even a bite

Angry

Date:...13/02/10
    Time fished:...17:00hrs to 24:00hrs
    Weather conditions:...Cloudy with sunny intervals, no wind and no moon.
    Water conditions:... Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.11M ANSL and steady.
    Air temperature:... 3.8C dropping to 0.5C.
    Water Temperature:... 3.1C
    Bait:...Bread, cheese, 3-B boilies.
    Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod bread flake or crust & cheese with liquidised bread and micro pellets in feeder. Downstream rod 3-B boilies & cheese paste with PVA bag of micro pellets & dry ground bait.
    Results:... 3 Chub, best 4lb-6oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:…Lovely February afternoon with a nice sunset to close the day also enjoyed by a couple of other lads on the river. Fist chub, just under 4lb, came as usual after dusk followed by what I thought was a smaller chub until it came to the net and it was huge. However, I lost it when it dived into the banking cracking 6lb line as though it was cotton. “Closing the door after the horse had bolted” I went back to my usual 8lb BS. After having a little paddy, everything went dead until about 11-o-clock then another two chub. All the chub came to something wrapped in cheese paste. The grounds drying up nicely now so the walk back was OK but somehow those Bl**dy sheep had managed to leave nice dark green makers all over the bonnet of my van.

Default Ribble Fish in

Hi John! I've not been on your page for sometime now and I was wondering when is the next fish in is on the ribble?

10. Default

Hello, new to this site. Great reports, fished the Ribble for two seasons on the Ribchester card beautiful place to be at dawn and dusk. Reading your reports brought back a lot of fond memories.

Cheers Andrew

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast