Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  309
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by POLO View Post
    Hi John! I've not been on your page for sometime now and I was wondering when is the next fish in is on the ribble?
    I've been far to busy at work this last couple of years to organise another fish-in, but the main reason is the closure of the Black Bull and it's bunk house.

Hi John.
    Nice chat yesterday.

Those "special" boilies ( taps side of nose with a wink) I showed you produced 3 chub for me.
    @ 3.12. 4.9 and 4.12.
    might be somthing to the idea after all.

Hope to see you up there again before the end.
    Tony,

Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Above Preston
    Date:...06/03/10
    Time fished:...17:00hrs to 24:00hrs
    Weather conditions:...Overcast with weak watery sun, no wind and no moon.
    Water conditions:... Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.11M ANSL and steady.
    Air temperature:... 4.7C dropping to minus 2C.
    Water Temperature:... 4.7C
    Bait:...Bread, cheese, 3-B boilies.
    Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod bread flake or crust & cheese with liquidised bread and garlic in feeder. Downstream rod 3-B boilies & cheese paste with loose fed pellets and boilies.
    Results:... 10 Chub, 6 over 4lb two being in the low 5lbs.
    Brief description of the session & remarks:…Another pleasant February afternoon with a nice sunset. Just before sunset, I had a chat with one of the FM lads who fish the Ribble and we swapped few ideas and tails.
    You would think I’d have a lot to say about this session it being one of my best for a long time, but I would have swapped the lot for a nice 6lber, which seem to have eluded me this year. Still I’ve still got a couple of sessions yet to squeeze in before the end of the season. After sunset, the temperature dropped like a stone and remained below minus 2C for the rest of the session. Pleasant walk back to my van, no bl**dy mud.

---------- Post added at 23:43 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

Date:...07/03/10
    Time fished:...17:00hrs to 21:30hrs
    Weather conditions:...Very bright sunny day, no wind and no moon.
    Water conditions:... Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.1M ANSL and steady.
    Air temperature:... 9.7C dropping to minus 2C.
    Water Temperature:... 4.7C
    Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod bread flake or crust & cheese with liquidised bread and garlic in feeder. Downstream rod 3-B boilies & cheese paste with loose fed pellets and boilies.
    Results:... 1 Chub @ 4lb-10oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:…Yet again another very pleasant February afternoon with a few FM lads who fish the Ribble to chat with before the serious business began at dusk. Well, what can I say, after the great session yesterday, the Ribble has a way of putting you in your place? Just one bite and one fish, the other lads fairing no better. Although the temperature was just the same as Saturday night -2C, I somehow got very cold and packed in with the rest of the lads around 9:30. By the time I got home to the Dales the temperature had dropped down to -5C and was still dropping.

Date:...11/03/10
    Time fished:...17:00hrs to 01:00hrs
    Weather conditions:...Sunny clouding over at dusk with a few spots of rain around mid-night, no wind and no moon.
    Water conditions:... Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.07M ANSL and steady.
    Air temperature:... 8.1C dropping to 4C.
    Water Temperature:... 5C
    Results:... 5 Chub, 4 over 4lb best 4lb-13oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:…Probably next to the last session on river before the close season, I’ve taken a couple of days holiday. Bites started at dusk but they were all single knocks or taps with several minutes before the next. Four of the five Chub came to touch legering with crust and cheese paste the other coming to the downstream suicide rod on 3B Boilie wrapped in cheese past. The river is very low, cold and clear, probably quite difficult in the day, but at least it’s dry and quite comfortable moving about on the bank.

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:28 ----------

Date:...13/03/10
    Time fished:...16:00hrs to 01:00hrs
    Weather conditions:...Overcast and quite breezy, dying down after dusk, no moon.
    Water conditions:... Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR 0.06M ANSL and steady.
    Air temperature:... 6.8C more or less through out the session.
    Water Temperature:... 5.7C
    Results:... 1 Chub @ 4lb-9oz
    Brief description of the session & remarks:…Last session of the 2009/10 season. I always feel a bit melancholy on the last day of the old season, meeting up with a few of the Ribble lads knowing we wont meet up again for another 9 months when the winter Chubbing season starts once again.
    This was a very hard session with bites coming as single knock and plucks well spread out. I tried touch ledgering but couldn’t sustain it for too long so I sat back and decide they’d have to hook them selves and one did at 11:55hrs. Stayed on for another hour but in the last hour there wasn’t even a single knock or pluck, so that was it for another year. On the way back to the car park I stood for a while, looking over the Shire and thinking of what has been and what the new season will bring. The next season should see me finally retire, I think ???

Default ribble 13/3/10

The next season should see me finally retire, I think ???

I will believe that when I see it John.
    Ribbles in your blood.

Same night same area.
    1 chub 4,2lb at 21.40.

See you in the winter John.

Date:...16/06/10
    Time fished:...00:00hrs to 06:00hrs
    Weather conditions:...Clear sky no wind, no moon.
    Water conditions:... Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR -0.04M BNSL and steady.
    Air temperature:... 11.9C dropping to 4.5C around 02:00hrs.
    Water Temperature:... 17.2C
    Bait:...Sweetcorn, Bread, Pellet & Paste.
    Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod sweetcorn, last hour bread flake, liquidised bread and garlic in feeder. Downstream rod Halibut Pellet & curry paste with PVA bags of micro pellets and JC’s dry ground bait mix.
    Results:... 1 small Chub, 3 x roach between 8oz & 12oz, 1 x 1.5lb brownie and 2 x Barbel 8lb-14oz and 6lb-4oz.
    Brief description of the session & remarks:…Well here we go again the start of another season on the Ribble. Bit of a mixed bag and with loads of weed and both Barbel took full advantage of it. I had to wade to land both Barbel but both recovered quickly after holding them in the current for a couple of minutes. The river was very low with marginal weed being a problem in swim selection. It was nice to bump into a couple of very old friends I’d not seen for a couple of years and catch up on Ribble gossip. There was a lot of activity all through the night with fish toping and rolling all over the place, with trout and chub knocking hell out of the smaller fish. Nice to get back on the Ribble again but we could do with a couple of weeks of steady rain.

Date:...17/06/10
    Time fished:...23:00hrs to 06:00hrs
    Weather conditions:...Clear sky, clouding over about 01:00hrs, no wind.
    Water conditions:... Rivercall at 03:15hrs @ NJR -0.05M BNSL and steady.
    Air temperature:... 12.5C dropping to 11.4C around 03:00hrs.
    Water Temperature:... 21.6C
    Bait:...Sweetcorn, Bread, Pellet & Paste.
    Method:.. 2 rods, upstream rod sweetcorn, last hour bread flake, liquidised bread and garlic in feeder. Downstream rod Halibut Pellet & curry paste with PVA bags of micro pellets and JC’s dry ground bait mix.
    Results:... 1 Barbel 9lb.
    Brief description of the session & remarks:…The river was very low with marginal weed again being a problem in swim selection. The rivers also beginning to look dirty. Just one bite and one fish all session. I’d the river all to myself with the exception of a fox and an heron that put in an appearance at dawn. I don’t think I’ll be back on the Ribble until gets back to just above normal summer level.

Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Above Preston Date:...20/06/10 Time fished:...16:00hrs to 22:00hrs Weather conditions:...Clear, bright sunny, troublesome upstream breeze. Water conditions:...Low with marginal weed and floating clumps to dodge. Air temperature:... N/T. Water Temperature:... N/T Bait:...Hemp, caster & corn later. Method:.. waggler mid river

Results:... 16 really nice roach all 12oz to 1lb, 3 barbel 2.5lb, 3lb and 6lb, 1 brownie 1.25lb and 2 eels.
    Brief description of the session & remarks:…The river was very low with marginal weed but with me wading I was able to get out well clear of it. Fished a deep swim and the early season roach came in spells of 2 or 3 fish followed by quiet periods. The upstream breeze was making it hard to present the float in such a slow swim, hence I caught best during lulls in the wind. In the early evening the barbel showed up with two in two casts then a very quiet period. In the final hour the eels moved in and I switched to corn to avoid them, but no success. My mate moved from the deeper water to a shallow peg and had a good last few hours again on the waggler with 7 barbel to over 7.5lb and 6 dace and 2 small chub (the only ones to show all day).
    The river looks very difficult for any ledgering at the minute and we had the place to ourselves. Whatever you are doing, in most areas you need waders to get out past the weed to land and release fish.

Date:...16/06/10
    Time fished:...16:00hrs to 21:00hrs
    Weather conditions:...Warm, bright, scattered clouds
    Water conditions:... Very low
    Air temperature:... Not taken, estimate 23 dropping to about 18.
    Water Temperature:... Not taken
    Bait:...Maggot
    Method:.. Stick float, Hardy's 15ft with 'pin and RT 15ft with closed-face
    Results:... Various chub up to (guessed) 4lb, dace (nowt over 4oz), brownies, sea trout and a salmon smolt.
    Brief description of the session & remarks:…Good fun, plenty of bites, spent time in each swim feeding before fishing. In the shallower areas waited until I could see fish swirling for the bait. Few people trying to stick it out on the lead or feeder, bless.
    All fish caught from slower stretches were laden with argulus, bit of a concern.

---------- Post added at 12:52 ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 ----------

Date:...17/06/10
    Time fished:...19:30 to 22:30 (great these light evenings)
    Weather conditions:...Same as previous day.
    Water conditions:... Low, very low.
    Air temperature:... Not taken, estimate lower 20s down to upper teens by the time we left.
    Water Temperature:... Not taken
    Bait:...Maggots.
    Method:.. Trotting
    Results:... 1 dace, my companion had a few dace and a couple of chub, but then again he does hex my fishing. Last knockings I hooked into a large migratory, which after debate we think was probably a very large sea trout. We amused each other for a while but then it got bored and decided to see how much line I had on, the hook pulled when I tried to argue.
    Brief description of the session & remarks:…Always a good day when on the river. Blackfly got me though, gave me a fat bloke's hand for a couple of days, still look like I stubbed a cig out on my finger.

ection of Fishery or river stretch:...Above Preston Date:...26/06/10 Time fished:...17:00hrs to 21:30hrs Weather conditions:...Clear, bright very sunny. Water conditions:...Low with marginal weed and floating clumps to dodge. Air temperature:... N/T. Water Temperature:... N/T Bait:...Hemp & caster. Method:.. waggler mid river

Results:... 5 or 6 dace, about 6 chublets to 1lb, 1 big roach 1lb+ and 1 barbel 2.5lb.
    Brief description of the session & remarks:…Alot slower than last week, but it was 10 degrees or so warmer and we were only expecting the last 2 to 3 hours to produce a mix of fish. But it didn't improve much except a few more small chub and dace moved in. Different peg but expected a reasonable few fish when the sun dropped but still nice evening to be waded mid river in a nice spot.
    Last week fish were literally topping all over as we left, this week it was very quiet.

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast