Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Re: River Ribble

We're still reading the reports!! John Conway clearly must be doing something else - someone PM him and make sure he's OK? The Ribble fish-ins were pivotal in my Ribble experience. While I'm here - last Weds, river NSL despite recent downpours. 2 barbel 5ish, 3 chub to 4.15 (yes I weighed it) all on Barbel gear, sonu 'tuff 1' pellets, feeders full of tench spod mix from recent sessions and micro pellets. I mainly chub fish but this was fun in midweek when there is no circus.

Paul C

Reaction score

Date 22.7.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 4pm till 10 pm
Weather conditions: Mainly bright and warm.
Water conditions : River looked good, up a few inches and a bit of colour
Bait - maggot & hemp, corn.
Air temp N/T
Water temp: N/T
Method: Waggler

Another struggle on the float. There were dace and roach about and lots of bites but no quality fish at all and got pestered by minnows. Casters might have helped avoid the real small stuff.

I even managed an eel on corn. Put the feeder rod out for the last hour and a half of so. Managed 6 more eels!

Wasn't a stretch I am familiar with so only the second time I have been on it, so I was fishing it little blind.

PS - Saw John on there and he's fine and still knocking about.

Reaction score

Date 24.7.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 5.15 pm till 11.00 pm
Weather conditions: dry ,sunny ,partly cloudy
Water conditions :EA River level website 1.12 m (Samlesbury) at 3 pm
Bait -micro pellets in feeder and pellet hookbait
Air temp N/A @ start of session
Water temp: N/A @ start of session
Result: 1 Barbel

With the low river i decided to walk upstream where the water flows alittle faster.
Quite a few on the bank though not many fishing upstream.Not much action ,though pleasant to be sat out under the sun .Only bite came on the upstream rod at 21.45 which turned out to be a 4 lb Barbel.
My tackle breaking continued when i cracked my landing net handle though still usable until i find a good replacement.

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 ----------

Date 25.7.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 8.30 pm till 11.00 pm
Weather conditions: dry ,sunny ,partly cloudy
Water conditions :EA River level website 1.04 m (Samlesbury) at 3 pm
Bait -micro pellets in feeder and garlic pellet hookbait
Air temp N/A @ start of session
Water temp: N/A @ start of session
Result: 1 Barbel

Thought i would try my luck during a short session after work.Bank was quieter than day before.Conditions much the same with the low level.Fished two rods the upstream rod was the one which saw the action.First fish 6 lb 7 oz which i have just realised was same weight as the first fish i caught this season from the same peg.Then lost two fish in quick succession within twenty minutes of first fish.All on same rod ,same area ,first lost due to what i can only think was a bad knot and second lost when line must have brushed against some rocks .
Spoke to another angler who had caught 2 and lost 4 .
Will stick to short sessions just before darkness for now until it starts getting darker earlier as thats when the action seems to start.
Hopefully more of the same next weekend.

Paul C

Reaction score

Date 26.7.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 6.45 pm till 10:30 pm
Weather conditions: Dry, warm and bright
Water conditions : NSL or a little below
Bait - pellet
Air temp N/T
Method: Single feeder rod
Results: 8 barbel, 3 large trout and 1 eel

Another short session after work and a very pleasant evening to be out on the river and a stunning sunset too.

The river was low, but also alive with fish topping and crashing out. I’ve not seen it so lively for a while. I left the float rod at home, but it looked like a good night to be on it. However, after my recent float outings it was never in much danger of making the trip tonight.

There were clearly fish in front of me too, as I started getting big knocks and twangs immediately and it wasn’t long before I had my best fish of the night at 7lb 14oz.
I had another smaller one shortly after and then it went quiet for an hour. 2 lovely big brown trout snatched my bait on the drop before I caught well till it was time to make tracks, with my last fish being 7lb 10oz. I also pulled out of one barbel as it went on its first run and managed another trout and of course, no summer session would be complete, without an eel.

Paul C

Reaction score

Date 3.8.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 6.20 pm till 10:20 pm
Water conditions : very low. Below NSL.
Bait - pellet
Air temp N/T
Results: 7 barbel and 3 chub

Another really enjoyable evening session. The river was very low but I managed to get on a peg a friend has fished a fair bit, which he tells me is good at normal summer level.

The bright conditions not surprisingly meant a slow start with just one decent chub in the first hour and a half. But I kept plugging away relentlessly. I know with the method I use, if the fish do move in or switch on, it can produce some fantastic and hectic sport with the shoal size fish. As the sun dropped below the trees, the swim came alive.

I had 2 barbel in two casts then a short interlude and then the swim produced really steadily. I managed 3 barbel over 6lb, with the best 8lb 8oz and the best chub 4lb 11oz.
I’ve not normally even threatened my feeder rod on the river at this time of the year. Last season it was mid to late September I think, before I even took a feeder rod with me. Now I’m finding it hard to leave it behind and have a go back on the waggler. That, I guess, is why fishing is so addictive!

Paul C

Reaction score

Date 9.8.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 6.20 pm till 10:20 pm
Water conditions : NSL.
Bait - pellet
Air temp N/T
Results: 5 barbel and 2 chub

Having seen the forecast for the week, I decided this evening was the only one which looked dry and the river certain to be fishable.

I tried a peg I’d not been on before, although I have fished one in the same area in the past. That time, it only really got going as dusk approached when the barbel showed and this time was no different with a very similar pattern.

For the first hour and a quarter the swim was dead with no indications of life at all, so it was a case of keep feeding the swim and hoping it would improve as the sun dropped. One or two taps and knocks suggested things were on the up but it was slow to get going. I managed to pick up 2 chub by 9pm both around 3.5lb to 4lb size.

The frequency of the taps and bangs had increased steadily though and a big drop back resulted in the best fish and season's best at 9lb 1oz. I had 4 more barbel in the last hour, the best of which was 6lb 14oz.

Plus, a first for me on the ribble tonight. Midway through the session, I kept hearing some movement on the far bank in the deep undergrowth. I then found out what it was, as I spotted a deer crashing through the trees and vegetation as it spooked and charged off upstream.

Paul C

Reaction score

Date 24.8.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 2:45 pm till 8:45 pm
Weather conditions: Heavy downpours, dry and bright later
Bait - Hemp, caster, pellet and corn
Air temp N/T

Had time off with the family so this was the first of two sessions on the river and back on the waggler. I fished a new stretch, so with no real knowledge of the pegs I wasn't expecting too much. However it turned out to be the best float session of the season by a long way.
No bites for 25 mins, but then started getting roach and some very nice ones around the pound mark. I had a good spell during the moody wet conditions and the highlight was a decent chub of about 4lb, before things went a bit quiet as it brightened up.

After a short break I had a good evening session with loads of bites, albeit the chublets had found me. They fed well, with just odd decent dace and roach mixed in.
In all I had around 10 qualiy roach around about a pound. I think all of which came to the caster. 4 big dace, a big chub and countless small chub and a number of smaller roach early on.

A long walk to the peg, but well worth it.

---------- Post added at 12:38 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Date 25.8.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 10:15 till 2 pm
Weather conditions: Dry, hot and sunny
Bait - pellet & corn
Air temp N/T
Results: 1 barbel and 1 chub and one big brown trout at 2lb 10oz

Having spent the previous day stood mid river in waders, today was supposed to an easy day on the feeder rod. I could only fish late morning to late afternoon and was committed to being home for early evening.

In hindsight the conditions were against me and I'd probably have been as well to float fish again. But with no bait to hand and limited time spare it couldn't be done. Things started quite well with a 6.5lb barbel after less then 20 mins, but as the sun rose and the temp got unconfortably warm, the activity in the swim slowed down.

I took a very nice brown trout that snatched the pellet on the drop and it put up a great scrap. I am pretty sure that's the biggest brownie I've had from the ribble. A chub of 3.5 to 4lb followed shortly after before the swim died.

2 hours without a bite and I decided an early exit and earning some brownie points being home early was the best move to make. There will be far easier days to catch a few fish and who knows, it might just earn me and evening session next week....:wh

Last edited:

Paul C

Reaction score

Date 31.8.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 6:30 till 10:10 pm
Weather conditions: Dry, calm and overcast
Bait - pellet
Air temp N/T
Results: 1 barbel and 2 chub

I thought the dry overcast conditions might be quite good tonight, but it didn't really turn out that way. I missed out on the pegs I hoped to fish so settled for 3rd choice, which fished well for me last time, but isn't quite so consistent at low level.

Very little activity from the outset and it took an hour before I landed a chub that I didn't even get a bite from. I just picked up the rod to recast and it was on!

I had odd little rattles and taps over the next hour and a half, but it was by far the quietest of my evening sessions. I had another chub and then on the edge of dark a barbel which was also a shy bite that I struck at.

After that the tip was motionless bar the odd bat hiting the line. slightly frustrating overall, but more because I had hopes of an active evening I think.

fred hall

Reaction score

Hello everyone, long time no post!
These days my Ribble barbelling trips tend to be short evening affairs starting at 7.30pm and ending at 9.30 pm. No great catches in terms of numbers but I've only had one blank this season. My fishing buddy on these trips usually starts at about 5 pm and over the last few weeks has done well right from the off. I think that he has caught first cast on 4 occasions recently. Yesterday he had his first double figure barbel at 10-4, well chuffed as you might imagine, and happily the old boy here was not totally out-fished as he had a 10-3.
We are sticking to the tried and trusted formula of small pellets with pellet groundbait in the feeder and pellet boilies on the hair rig. However it seems to have become imperative to wrap the boilie in paste. I make it by simply tipping equal amounts of ground pellets, ground hemp and method mix groundbait into a bowl, add some chilli powder and a beaten egg, mash together with a fork and dampen to get a consistency that will stick on during the cast.

Paul C

Reaction score

Date 14.9.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 5:40 till 10:35 pm
Weather conditions: Showers and overcast, clearing later.
Water conditions : About a foot above NSL and rising slowly.
Bait - pellet
Air temp N/T
Results: 16 barbel, 2 chub, 1 trout and 1 eel.

A rather wet evening, but the rain is less noticeable when the fishing is so good.

First fish was a really good chub after 20 mins. It weight 5lb 8oz which was a nice start to the evening and my best chub for several years. Over the next 45 mins I had two smallish barbel, but those aside I was getting absolutely loads of big bangs and it really felt like I should have been getting more takes than I was.

So, I moved down several hook sizes and used a smaller pellet. The change made an immediate difference with a barbel within 30 seconds of going back in. After that I caught steadily till dark. I had 7 barbel and 1 chub as the light went. Then I had a real purple patch. I had a take within 2 mins every put in, for a good spell. The only slight downside was the banking had churned up with the rain which made the peg a bit messy and very slippy playing and returning fish. The river was rising slowly and came up probably 3 or 4 inches.

Just before 10pm the clouds cleared away and a full moon shone. I didn't get a bite after that till I packed in.

I also got some better fish into dark. The best 4 were over 7lb, with one 8lb 12, 7lb 11, 7lb 8oz and 7lb 6oz. I also lost 2 fish, one to a hook pull and one to a frayed hooklength.

I should be back on the river Friday, but it’s certain to be a float session next.

Paul C

Reaction score

Date 16.9.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 12:45 till 6:15p
Weather conditions: Dry to start then torrential rain before clearing later.
Water conditions : 6 inches or so above NSL and steady with a little colour.
Bait - hemp, caster & corn
Air temp N/T

Excellent float session despite the 2 hours of heavy rain midway through. I started with some big roach showing and had a very nice first one of 1lb 5oz.

I caught in spells until I had a break half way through, with a mix or roach and some dace ranging between 4oz and 12oz.

After a break, the heavens opened and the dace came thick and fast. I still had an odd roach mixed in, but the dace really took over. I also landed a big brown trout that did a bit of jumping and tail walking, that weighed 3lb 5oz.

In all I had in the region of 60 dace, with some lovely big ones mixed in, I had 10 roach from 12oz to 1lb 5oz, 9 smaller roach and the trout. For some reason, not one chub put in an appearance. Very unusual.

Paul C

Reaction score

Date 25.9.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 3:10pm till 8:10pm
Weather conditions: Bright to start, clouding over and one shower later.
Water conditions : NSL and very clear.
Bait - pellet
Air temp N/T
Results: 6 barbel and 3 chub

The river was busier with it being a Sunday and I was fishing with a friend who was late picking me up and had also made some arrangements for the evening, so the session was now going to be a short one.

I wasn’t expecting too much early on with a bright sun and clear water, so I was taken by surprise when I had a take that was on the drop, second cast. My initial instinct was it was that it would be a big trout as it grabbed it and ran before I had put the rod in the rest. It turned out to be an 8lb 10oz barbel.

The swim was lifeless over the next hour, until another barbel showed out of the blue. Shortly after I had a chub of about 3lb. It then went very quiet again until the light started to go, which was what I’d expected but I also knew I didn’t have much time left.

I had 2 barbel and a chub and also pulled out of 2 barbel, before my mate came down to see how it was going as he’d packed up. Over the next 15 mins whilst he tried to coach me away, I had 2 more barbel and a chub in 3 casts. I don’t like leaving a swim that’s in feeding mode, but then it’s a long walk home…

Paul C

Reaction score

Date 6.11.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 2:30pm till 6pm
Weather conditions: Bright and sunny and then bright 3/4 moon later.
Water conditions : About a foot up with a little colour still but not much.
Bait - pellet & corn
Air temp - chilly, dropping to 2 or 3 degrees at dark
Results: :(

Well... my god, it's been a full 5 weeks since I have been out. It seemed longer and I was so keen to wet a line I wasn't that bothered about whether the conditions were good or not. Time flies and no idea how I've not managed to get out since the end of September!!

The report on the fishing front is... well uneventful! The winter ribble brings you back down to earth with a bump when it wants too. After a very good summer / autumn that I've had, today was like watching paint dry.

I plugged away with my normal endeavor but I couldn't temp even a tap or a rattle. I wasn't alone though. There were several others around me and they all blanked. As I called it a day early at 6pm, my luggage was frozen as was my landing net handle.

Never mind, It was nice to be back out and had a good chat with the chap next to me during his tea break.

That's my first blank on there for a good while I think, but I always console myself by saying you have to have these days to fully appreciate the good ones.

Paul C

Reaction score

Date 11.11.11
Section River Ribble
Time: 1:45pm till 6.15pm
Weather conditions: Overcast & mild with a chilli wind.
Water conditions : Low and crystal clear
Bait - pellet, corn & mini boilies
Air temp - mild 10 to 13
Water temp: 9 degrees
Results: 3 barbel

Hard work overall! I switched to corn after 40 mins and managed 2 barbel in quick succession. Thereafter it was dead until 6pm when I had another on pellet. Very surprised no chub showed and it was very quiet with little signs of encouragement for long periods.

The rain starting was enough encouragement to pack up and see if there was a pint of real ale with my name on it instead.

Paul C

Reaction score
Date 20.2.2012
Section River Ribble
Time: 10:30 till 3pm
Weather conditions: Very wet and cold
Water conditions : carrying a small amount of extra water but clear
Air temp -
Water temp: 2.7 down to 2.3c
Results: blank

Very wet cold day. As soon as I saw the water temp I knew it was going to be tough. It was just 2.7c and fell to 2.3c.

I had a few signs of activity around mid day with a number of rattles and taps, but no takers and tht was it. I had to be back for early evening so couldn't sit it out till the light faded.

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

Date 26.2.12
Section River Ribble
Time: 12:30 till 7pm
Weather conditions: Mild and dry
Water conditions : carrying a small amount of extra water but clear
Air temp - 10c dropping to 7.5c
Water temp: 7.5c
Results: 2 barbel to 8lb 9oz and 4 chub

Much improved conditions from my last outing and the mild spell made a positive water temp reading.

I caught my best fish of the day immediately within 2 mins on my fist cast. It was followed 15 mins later by another barbel of about 6lb, but then as it sometimes does, it went completely dead.

No activity or signs of life until 6:15 when I had 3 chub in 3 casts. One more followed shortly after. None of them were worthy enough of being weighed as they were all 4lb ish or under. I'd prefer to have stayed longer but wasn't able too. I suspect a few more chub would have come out had that been possible.

Reaction score
River Ribble: New season new poster.

Hi all – I’ve been lurking here for many years and just re-started fishing, these reports have kept me interested whilst I’ve been unable to fish, thanks all. I hope I can give something back by contributing something (mainly blank reports no doubt!).

Date 18/19.6.12
Section River Ribble
Time: 2pm – midnight and 6.30pm – 11 30pm
Water conditions : Falling after heavy rain day one, then NSL.
Bait – pellet/paste
Air temp: 10 C (night) 16 (Day)
Water temp: Not taken
Method: 2 rods – ledger/pva.
Results: First session 1 Chub 3lb 15oz, second session blank.

After several days of rain and watching the EAs website for the tail of the flood pulse (thanks John for that tip I picked up on here!) I managed to get out Monday and Tuesday for my first session of the new season. Conditions looked great Monday but I had just one bite a really long, lean dark summer chub which fought like a bream, recently spawned out I think. Fishing a new swim which was perhaps a little shallow for barbel, my main target.

Day two – Decided to fish a swim that proved a barbel banker last Autumn, with multiple barbel/chub catches (something I’m not used to as an old Great Ouse Angler when 1 barbel every other session was a good result for me). Complete blank, not even a consolatory chub.

On both sessions all anglers I spoke to denied having caught any barbel, just chub. I’m wondering if the cold/wet June we’ve had has delayed their spawning or they just don’t come out so much early season in the Ribble?

One thing I noticed was that all the barbel I caught last year were very nocturnal, coming out well after dark. Unfortunately it didn’t really get properly dark, even at midnight when I had to pack up and I’m wondering whether at this time of year they feed after midnight. Obviously I’m doing something wrong or the fish have moved or switched off and look forward to spending a few months/years trying to work out what! Some small amounts of weed (hair algae) catching in my rod rings, but tiny amounts compared to what I used to encounter on the Ouse, not causing any real issues other than having to pull it off line between casts.

Paul C

Reaction score
Date 21.6.12
Section River Ribble
Time: 10am till 3pm
Weather conditions: windy and showers
Water conditions : NSL pretty much and very little colour
Bait - hemp, caster and corn
Air temp - 12c
Water temp: n/t
Method: Float
Results: a dozen dace, 8 big brown trout, 1 barbel and 3 decent chub

This was only my second trip out fishing since my last post on here, so I was just happy to be out! Things have been hectic at home, so fishing has been off the agenda!!

I opted for a swim that I knew I would get on which a friend goes on and after a quick phone call to check I was in the right spot I fished a chubber float in shallow, fast water.

I had a very active morning with most of the fish coming before midday. I stopped for lunch and afterwards it was hard going! One highlight of the afternoon was the barbel which was 7.5 to 8lb and fought like stink in the shallow fast run. I had it on the pin and was knackered afterwards as it gave me a proper run around!

I had 3 chub between 3lb and 4.5lb, and 8 trout all 1lb to 2lb, which also fought well in the fast water.

A few more chub and dace would have been nice, but I enjoyed it all the same even if trout weren't the intended target.

Today was meant to be a double headed with me fishing this evening. Needless to say I didn't fancy 5 metres of flood water, so a day off a little wasted!!

Unfortunately It will almost 2 weeks before I get back out again.

Paul C

Reaction score
Date 8.7.12
Section River Ribble
Time: 16:00 till 19:30 – see below!!!
Water conditions : 18 inches up and rising slightly. Nice colour.
Bait – pellet & corn
Air temp – n/t
Results: 3 chub, 1 barbel, 1 big roach, 2 eels and 1 broken reel

I had planned to float fish but the river has been up and down like a bride’s knickers. The forecast running up to Sunday suggested more rain was to fall on a river that already had 3 foot plus on it, so no float bait was purchased…..

That left me slightly miffed because the rain didn’t happen and it was just 18 inches up come Sunday afternoon, albeit it was rising slightly.

So an evening feeder fishing was planned, but it didn’t quite work out that way.

It took an hour to get a proper take and a 3lb chub was my prize. 20 minutes later I had a bigger one around 4lb and then it went quiet. After a brief break for food and a walk to see how the only other angler was doing, I returned and switched to corn and landed a roach of about 1lb instantly. Next cast on corn I had a barbel.

However, by now I was well aware that my top of the range shimano GTE baitrunner was having a wobbly. The gears were slipping under tension and the line-lay was going mental!

Being a minimalistic angler I rarely have more than 1 rod or reel, so I had to see if I could make do. Sadly after 2 eels and another chub the reel became un-usable!!

Not good considering it was only the third season of using the thing on the river. My old 5010 GT Japanese built model is going strong after many years of hard abuse. It seems they make the Malaysian versions internally from cheese these days!!

So, that was it…. Session ended before the best few hours of the day were about to happen!! So I sulked home early with £100 of broken plastic, metal and cheese. I have my kids this week so at least a week before I get out again. :(

Paul C

Reaction score
Date 24.7.12
Section River Ribble
Time: 6pm till 9.20pm
Weather conditions: warm and sunny
Water conditions : NSL pretty much and very little colour
Bait - hemp, maggot and corn
Air temp - n/t
Method: Float
Results: around 25 dace and 3 roach

A managed just a short midweek session on the float. It was a little slow overall and no bonus fish either.

Around half of the dace were a really nice stamp but I was missing quick bites and on maggot getting plagued by minnows.

A very nice evening to be out on the river even if the fishing wasn't spectacular.

Paul C

Reaction score
Date 2.8.12
Section River Ribble
Time: 18:30 till 22:30
Weather conditions: Bright and warm, odd spots of rain later
Water conditions : 10 inches up, failing with a nice colour.
Bait – pellet & corn
Air temp – n/t
Results: 11 barbel, 1 chub, 1 large roach, 1 good brownie and 1 good eel

Not enough light hours available for me to float fish this week, so opted for a feeder session into dark and managed to get on one of my favourite pegs.

My first cast produce a lovely roach that went 1lb 9oz on pellet. I then had lots of indications between quick casts so there seemed to be plenty of interest in the pellet I was constantly introducing but no takes for a spell. I managed to finish the first hour having had 2 small barbel and then a big brown trout which came after I switched to corn.

The bangs and knocks stopped for about 20 to 30mins, but thereafter I caught very steadily with some better stamp fish mostly 5 to 6lb size and my best of the night just before the light went at 8lb 2oz.

Very enjoyable fishing and in between fish the rod was constantly banging and knocking with activity and dropped pick-ups.

The new Korum KXI baitrunner stood up to its first test and performed very well for a reel that was under £40 delivered! I know time will tell if it’s the real deal, but my previous shimano lasted less than 3 seasons for more than twice the cost. It worked with ease under tension and the clutch was very smooth once I found the right balance. I had it way too slack for the first few lively young fish!!