Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

samdog7

Reaction score
first time on the river ribble for almost 2 years (4/7/13) blanked, no bites in 5 hours which was a shame because I took my lad who was showing an interest don't think he is so keen now , fished ribchester using boilies and pellet.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Saturday 16/06/13
Venue:... River Ribble
Time fished:...00:00hrs 06:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Windy & overcast with the odd shower.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.33M and steady. (Note River rose about 6” while fishing)
Air temperature:... 13.1C dropping to 11C
Water Temperature:... 16.2C
Bait:... Bread Flake, Sweetcorn, Halibut Pellet & Curry Paste
Method:.. 2 rods. Upstream rod - Bread flake – liquidized bread and sweetcorn in feeder. Downstream rod – Halibut Pellet & Curry Paste – liquidized bread and sweetcorn in feeder.
Results:... Blank
Brief description of the session & remarks:… First day of a new season was a disaster when the river rose ever so slightly but enough to disturb the weed. I could not stop my bait for being dragged into the margins. When I increased the lead, it became impossible to wind in dragging kilos of silkweed.

Date:.. Friday 21/06/13
Time fished:...16:30hrs 24:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Sunny intervals, clouding over at dusk, breezy. Started to rain while packing up.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.22M and steady.
Air temperature:... 20C dropping to 10C
Water Temperature:... 20.4C
Method:.. 2 rods. Upstream rod – Sweetcorn then Bread flake at dusk – liquidized bread and sweetcorn in feeder. Downstream rod – Halibut Pellet & Curry Paste – liquidized bread and sweetcorn in feeder.
Results:... Blank
Brief description of the session & remarks:… The river was quite busy, five anglers within 200M. Absolutely dead until just after dusk when my pellet rod had two or three quick knocks. The lads fishing the faster water had a couple of small barbel and chub.

Date:.. Sunday 30/06/13
Time fished:...14:30hrs 22:30hrs
Weather conditions:... Overcast and windy with the odd bright spell.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.33M and falling.
Air temperature:... 19.4C dropping to 11C
Water Temperature:... 21.8C
Method:.. 2 rods. Upstream rod – Sweetcorn then Bread flake at dusk – liquidized bread and sweetcorn in feeder. Downstream rod – Halibut Pellet & Curry Paste – liquidized bread and sweetcorn in feeder.
Results:... 2lb-6.5oz Chub
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Another trip with low water levels. Nothing moving until dusk then three of us caught almost at the same time. Only one other fish came out before packing up. The other lads caught medium to small Barbel. Pleasant session even though the fishing was sparse, the company was amiable and welcome.

deezine

Reaction score
Date 20.6/13
Section River Ribble
Time: 17:30 till 22:00
Weather conditions: Mild and dry
Water conditions : Low and clear
Bait – pellet
Air temp – n/t
Water temp: n/t
Method: Single feeder rod
Results: 7 barbel, 3 big brown trout and 1 eel

I thought I’d better get my river season underway with an evening session given the low water levels. The plan was to float fish Friday daytime, but I switched it to a feeder session Thursday evening.

I fished a peg that often produces the goods in low water. However, it also seems to always follow the same pattern for me with a good start and then a lull. It didn’t disappoint and I had 2 barbel and lost one fairly quickly.

After the inevitable quiet period I picked up barbel and some hard fighting brown trout, all of which were over 2lb.

The last hour of light didn’t bring on any surge of action. All the barbel were between 4.5lb and 6lb. There weren't many anglers about which was a little surprising given it's the first week of the season.

Do you ever say what stretch you fish?

Same comment applies to the other guy who posts reports?

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do you ever say what stretch you fish?

Same comment applies to the other guy who posts reports?

It's a VERY generous angler who will pinpoint his exact location and virtually cast in for you. I wouldn't do it!

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fair enough.

In that case these reports are next to worthless.

On the contrary they are carefully compiled by someone who has spent a lifetime on the Ribble learning his river and his watercraft and are an indication of how the fish are responding to the weather conditions, water levels, baits and tactics. Valuable information for anyone prepared to put in the time on the river and learn for themselves rather than just expect someone else to do it all for them!

deezine

Reaction score
On the contrary they are carefully compiled by someone who has spent a lifetime on the Ribble learning his river and his watercraft and are an indication of how the fish are responding to the weather conditions, water levels, baits and tactics. Valuable information for anyone prepared to put in the time on the river and learn for themselves rather than just expect someone else to do it all for them!

What the hell are you on!

Who said I wanted anyone to 'do it all for me'

I commented that a 'report' (the clue is in the word) normally alludes to a location.

With a River as large and long as the Ribble, these 'reports' make nice reading. But that's it.

I have fished the Ribble lots myself, going back to the eighties, so I am not looking for lazy tip offs, which is what you are suggesting, so don't patronize me please.

My opinion, if that's ok with you, to have one I mean, is that some reference to location could be added, without specific peg details.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Fair enough.

In that case these reports are next to worthless.

Many of the clubs have a publicity ban, you are not allowed to name stretches. Although to reiterate what Jack says, you have fellas here whom are very capable anglers, they have put 1000s of hours into finding out about their chosen area/s. You cannot really expect them to hand over info, even assuming the club does not have a no publicity rule, to people who give nothing in return.

I view it this way. If i want to go to the ribble and John Conway has struggled, there's a good chance I will struggle too. So, thanks to John posting his blank, I could save the 140 mile round trip and go somewhere else? On the other hand, if he's had a few, I may have a chance!

deezine

Reaction score
Many of the clubs have a publicity ban, you are not allowed to name stretches. Although to reiterate what Jack says, you have fellas here whom are very capable anglers, they have put 1000s of hours into finding out about their chosen area/s. You cannot really expect them to hand over info, even assuming the club does not have a no publicity rule, to people who give nothing in return.

I view it this way. If i want to go to the ribble and John Conway has struggled, there's a good chance I will struggle too. So, thanks to John posting his blank, I could save the 140 mile round trip and go somewhere else? On the other hand, if he's had a few, I may have a chance!

OK.
so a river which is 121km long doesn't fish differently along its length, on any given day?

I've fished Red Scar Wood and bagged up on Chub, while the fellows on the opposite bank couldn't get a bite.

So what good is John's 'blank post' bearing this in mind?

I am sure John is a fine angler ( I never meant to disparage his fishing skills) but your post is utter twaddle.

(your comment about publicity bans apart. If that's the case then he has no choice)

Last edited:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What the hell are you on!

Who said I wanted anyone to 'do it all for me'

I commented that a 'report' (the clue is in the word) normally alludes to a location.

With a River as large and long as the Ribble, these 'reports' make nice reading. But that's it.

I have fished the Ribble lots myself, going back to the eighties, so I am not looking for lazy tip offs, which is what you are suggesting, so don't patronize me please.

My opinion, if that's ok with you, to have one I mean, is that some reference to location could be added, without specific peg details.

I'm on my sofa actually!

I don't give a monkeys about your Ribble history since you have not chosen to introduce yourself in the new members section or give a little information about your experience, preferring to jump straight into a river thread and in your first 2 posts rubbish carefully compiled river reports from a well-respected angler and member of FM.

A Bluenose says, John is probably on club water and therefore banned from publicising anything about locations.

deezine

Reaction score
I'm on my sofa actually!

I don't give a monkeys about your Ribble history since you have not chosen to introduce yourself in the new members section or give a little information about your experience, preferring to jump straight into a river thread and in your first 2 posts rubbish carefully compiled river reports from a well-respected angler and member of FM.

A Bluenose says, John is probably on club water and therefore banned from publicising anything about locations.

Typical.

take an easy swipe at a newbie.

I stick by my opinion.

These 'reports' are next to useless.

deezine

Reaction score
Typical.

take an easy swipe at a newbie.

I stick by my opinion.

These 'reports' are next to useless.

another thing....No wonder your River Reports section has huge gaps, months, without anyone posting, if forum bullies like you jump down anyone's neck who has an opinion different to yours.

Bluenose

Reaction score
John's catch reports, blank or not, would make me (and I am sure other anglers) consider whether to make the long trip or not, so in that respect it's not twaddle! It's my opinion.

It's also my opinion that most anglers will not give specific info freely on their local stretch to those whom have given nothing back.

Anyway, welcome to the site, the rivers reports are always in need of new blood and am sure many will welcome your contribution.

Paul C

Reaction score
Hello Deezine

To answer your question which referred to my report, no I don't include details of the stretch I fish, regardless of whether there's a ban in place or not.

The stretch is probably not so much the key factor as most have some areas which produce on a consistent basis at different times of the year / water levels etc but you have to work out where suits when and the like and that's the biggest factor. Telling you a stretch won't make much odds if you know nothing about it or aren't even a member.

To be honest, my own personal view is that developing method that works is more critical than anything. Sure the ribble is peggy, but you can also be on a great peg and not fish it in way they gets the best from it. That's my own opinion, derived from watching and learning over many years.

I have worked hard to improve my own catch rate by tweaking what I do over time and moving away from some of what I would describe as carp derived methods to barbel fishing. I learnt from people who have always caught well even during daylight and tougher conditions when I used to be struggling like hell.

So my own style has changed significantly over the last 15 years or so and more so in the last 5 years. I now have confidence that I will catch in areas when the conditions are decent and I target action and numbers rather than fishing heavy with big baits for specimens or a new PB. I still pick up the odd decent fish but my sessions are shortish and focused on getting some pleasure from my limited time.

I would honestly say look at how you fish the river and learn about a stretch rather than worrying about which stretch is being reported on.

Good luck.

andy nellist

Reaction score
I dropped in to FM for the first time in a while and this was the first thread I looked at.

deezine's posts were a sad reminder of why I have stayed away.

For the record if I was planning to fish the Ribble I would always be interested to know how JC was getting on.

The FM Ribble fish-ins organised by JC hold many fond memories, great company good beer and some excellent fish.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ahhh. I see now.

Mate, (hope you don't mind me calling you mate?)

I have been fishing the Ribble for the last couple of years on the Wigan and Southport books but even when I have done well on day ticket stretches I have never divulged where they where simply because this is a public Forum and any notice of big fish etc. would attract quite a few undesirables to those stretches, ie our European friends who like a bit of fresh fish on the Barbecue!!

By the way you have to ignore the comments from certain member on here, he can be (is!) very rude and self opinionated. Don't let him draw you, just put him on ignore!

Mark