Thames: River Thames - is it fishing for anyone else?

A

alan whittington

Murton,if you look on the tackle section you will find a thread of mine on 'humminbird fishfinders',and they are not as realiable as i would have thought so we have to watch and wait to see if it is just a short term loss of form(hopefully)or a more problematical eco-system/pollution type disaster on the river.

Last edited:
A

alan whittington

Yes,lets hope eh,this fishfinder was a gift from the wife and i darent tell her it seems like an expensive glorified plummet.:wh:wh;)

A

alan whittington

Am i the only one fishing the river?Fished last Saturday and caught 2 bream and a small chub,dont know why,for the river was was lower and slower than ever.:confused:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You may be the only one up your way AW,last saturday 125 were fishing the lower Thames champs,there were a few blanks but on the whole it fished ok.
67lb of bream was the winning weight,with some good bags of roach to 1lb8oz showing to waggler tactics.There is still little flow or colour in the lower Thames,but fish are coming out.
Another friend of mine has been to Oxford a few times recently on the Medley stretch and has caught some nice roach bream hybrids and chub.
During this month my club has matches on the Thames,Little Stokes,Boveney and Dorchester.I will report on those later..

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I fished feeders down at Maidenhead a couple of weeks ago and caught some nice perch, seems to be my year for perch, but nothing of any great size.

Fished Marlow for a couple of hours last night for barbel/chub/bream and nitto, zilch, nada, nowt! Can't understand it in a weirpool, they should be queuing up for a bait. I could at least depend on a couple of chub or a bream or two at one time, but this year, everything has disappeared. Other than perch and they don't take boilies (normally).

:confused::(:mad:

A

alan whittington

Ive been hearing that its not been too bad on the lower river Peter,i will be interested to know how you get on at Dorchester,although there are signs of improvement,which i think would be more so with a bit of fresh water.

adrian hoare

Reaction score
hi all , been having a great few months on both the tidal and non tidal with a friend of mine , zander to near doubles , perch to 4lb8 , barbel 9lb15 and carp to a pb of 26lb7 . anybody got any catch reports from the tidal or the middlesex area of the non tidal ? would be good to hear how others are doing . cheers guys!

Murton Bere

Reaction score
This weekend

No chance to get out for last couple of weekends really leaving me session-less for three weeks.

Off to Culham area tomorrow for a spot of stick/seed fishing, see if them Roach will have it.

fftrout88

Reaction score
Thames fishing

Hi.
have fished Boveney stretch of Thames several times this season mainly on the float. Good sport for small fish to 8 ounces. Bigger fish, Perch & Roach to pound on feeder just past middle. Steady catching through the day.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Spoke to Barry Horwood this evening, he had a barbel of 12lbs 9ozs the other week and just some bleak and dace since - on big hooks, would you believe!

Spoke to a John (who I see dogwalking) and he spent all day at Shillingford without the tip of his quiver moving once.

I was spinning and jerkbaiting today and I certainly didn't expect a 20pounder jumping on my lure and true enough, everything went just as I expected. Nitto! :mad:

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
howdy dudes and dudettes, new to the site. Adrian, youre pb list is getting too good, might have to stop putting you on the spots. Spent yesterday afloat at richmond, fishing for dace with maggots, bite a chuck from first cast to last from 6 oz dace, only one similar sized perch obliged. To much of a good thing aint good, so not in a hurry to repeat. Have had carp to mid twenties from both tidal and non tidal as well as a few predators earlier in the season and have fished a 42ft hole, yes a 42ft hole in high pressure to no avail, end of history lesson, soz folks, have fun.

Murton Bere

Reaction score
Better

Went on Saturday below Abingdon. Decided to trek a couple of fields further upstream (felt like miles in the sun!) and passed countless guys all catching nowt. Found a very quiet spot where boat access was limited and stood all afternoon in the water which was a Godsend in the sun.

Fished stickfloat and seed tactics for Roach and it paid off. I wouldn't say I caught pounds and pounds of fish but once the fish moved in on my feed it was action for best part of 4 hours. Roach from 1oz up to about 9oz and the odd little Perch too (one took a bigger than average piece of wheat!) and I had a Silver Bream about 10oz too. Had a few maggots and casters with me which I never loose feed when on the seed but either produced fish too.

I think the difference was getting a bait moving and not nailing on the bottom. Flow was low along with levels but I was above a weir and the flow seemed to switch about a bit depending on what the adjacent cut was doing. If the flow was normal and moving in the right direction then bites kept coming but when it stopped or even went the other way then it went quiet for a bit.

No sign of any Chub sadly but one of the most enjoyable recent afternoons I can recall - especially so given the weather.

adrian hoare

Reaction score
hey all - went dangling today on the tidal in the teddington area , just a few small perch to livelies , and loads of small roach and dace until it all went dead , still , at least i had no crabs this time .

might have a go for the crabs and get a pb , just take along some bread and butter !
im thinking of hair rigging a can of dog food on a size 20 ! hahahaaaaaaaaaaa

adrian hoare

Reaction score
first thing i thought too , but after having 3 small ones to about 6oz or so , that went dead too , however there were cormorants constantly diving in and coming up near the area we were fishing , so could of been those that scared the shoal .

A

alan whittington

Murton you would probably find that with the lack of flow a waggler would be more effective with just a couple of no.8's down the line,for then you can come very shallow which is where the quality roach often come on seed,i used to fish seed a lot but not so much now.

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
managed a couple of short sessions so far this week, first with the pin and a 17ft float rod, coupled with a 3.2 main line and 1.10 bottom with size 18 hook. dace to 6ozs obliged freely to begin with, then slowly got harder and eventually did the off. bleak bashing this morning under the rod tip all 11ft with a closed face reel, four bites a chuck sometimes before i hooked them.better to be lucky than good

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Fished Sunbury weir from a friends boat today for about 4 or 5 hours in the middle of the day. No perch action at all but we had 4 pike, all singles, all on fire-tiger rapalas with deep diving vanes.