Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546

Default Re: Thames: River Thames - is it fishing for anyone else?

Fished the Thames at Old Windsor today, breakfast in the castle was lovely..
    The river was coloured but pushing. I set up my pole but a 2gram bolo type float was not heavy enough, even overshot by about a gram.
    2gr is the biggest I have, but it really needed 4 or even 6gr to fish effectively.
    Set up a waggler (5BB Drennan peacock quill, the old green ones) couldn't buy a bite. Changed to stick float( 5BB) and winkled out some small roach and a big dace closer in. It really fished hard for all 15 of us today, My 14oz net after 5 hours didn't come last, so that's some consolation...
    Winner had 5lb+ and there were a couple of 4's and 3's but overall it was frustratingly hard.

A mate and I fished at Walton on Thames today. The blustery upstream wind made the pole too tricky. We both plumped for long rods instead. I set up a 15ft and mate set up a 20ft. Trotting single red maggot in 12ft of water I used a 5bb Drennan big stick while mate used a 3gr pole float set with bait tripping the bottom.
    Bit early for the better fishing but we managed to catch some nice (6/8oz) dace and a few roach and perch.
    Had a heart stopping moment when my rod bowed down and a fight ensued. I was hoping for one of the monster perch that show occasionally down there. Finally got it to the surface and it was a big pike....

Thumbs up Re: Thames: River Thames - is it fishing for anyone else?

Had a good session with a couple of fishing buddies on sunday down at sunbury... Between us we had around 40 skimmers to 8oz ,some nice dace slightly smaller than the skimmers and my first roach bream hybrid which for a moment made me think i had broken my roach pb Oh and the usual perch shoals all on maggot feeder and small groundbait balls. Nothing enormous but nice to continually catch all day.
    Last edited by bigdog78; 17-09-2013 at 14:57. Reason: missing information

Just moved to Marlow and thinking about Joining Marlow AC.
    Any advice or tips for the new season anyone

Quote Originally Posted by marlow mark View Post
    Just moved to Marlow and thinking about Joining Marlow AC.
    Any advice or tips for the new season anyone
    Early season try getting on the weirs or as close as possible, other than that fish early morns or late evenings to avoid most the boat traffic

Blog Entries

If you join Marlow A.C., try evening/night fishing opposite Bisham Church (off "the Boards" as they call it.) Feeder fishing with maggot or worm, but ball in a load of groundbait first, about 50-60 yards across. Bags of bream over 100lbs can be had just after midnight.

Forget Riverwoods. The fishing is good, but you'll have difficulty finding a swim you can get into, it's all overgrown with trees and scrub. The point is good, but the bank has collapsed in places and it should all be fenced off before someone breaks a leg. Three years, the EA has know about it. All along the free stretch can be good with new swims down there being built.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

7. Default Re: Thames: River Thames - is it fishing for anyone else?

I am looking to fish the Thames, anywhere between Hampton Court and Wandsworth, when the season opens up.

Anyone got any hot spots or tips they can pass on?

I'd head to desborough cut if it's barbel you are after.

Be aware, popular with unusual walkers.... looking to engage in conversation.

9. Default Re: Thames: River Thames - is it fishing for anyone else?

I had a wander around Canbury Gardens this morning. The river is looking lovely and clean. Lots of small fry darting around the margins. Ive never fished this stretch before (only fished Staines Bridge, Chertsey Meadow and Sunbury). Anyone else looking forward to getting back on the Thames?

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546