Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Default Screw down Reel seat

I am a big fan of the modern screw down reel seats and am minded to fit one to my MK III Tench Float which has wobbly old push on reel fittings.

But where can I get one...if indeed I can ? I mean the ones with a [hood ?] that screws down rather than the Fuji type where the locking collar screws up. I know I'd have to strip the butt ring off and re-whip it but I'd have to do that anyway if I want to fit a screw fitting.

Nearly every rod has these nowadays but I can't seem to find a supplier.

Skippy

Try harrisonrods.co.uk
    guidesnblanks.com

Prefer locking reels seats myself, though not too worried over which type.

Blog Entries

This is the best I can offer you Skippy, look at the pink box...

The hooded types are all screw-up types. The only screw down ones are in the pink area. I've fitted a few before and they are e-e-e-a-a-z-z-z-z-e-e-e!

Buy the widest you can, usually 18mm, and pack the rod out with rings of narrow masking tape so that the seat just slides over them. Plenty of Araldite, fairly fast setting, but not the one that only takes seconds, it won't give you long enough to do the job properly.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

There's a nice little article here....

Is Your Reel Sitting Comfortably? - FishingMagic Online Fishing Magazine.

Seats D and E are what you are asking about?

I must say I do prefer them to holding a screw thread in my hands, especially in metal!

Don't forget that H&H stock a lot more than just that which is on their web-site, or at least they used to. They have a second site just for rod builders.....

Fishing rod blanks and guides - buy online

But it doesn't have much in the way of seats...wierd!

I'd 'phone those nice poeople at Harrisons and say 'pretty please'. They say they make over a hundred rods...one of them must use a screw-down seat.
    The Indifferent Crucian.

Can always look at the Fuji VSS............

Available in VSS16 (ID 13.8mm) and VSS17 (ID 17mm). I've 'cork converted' these. Have an 11' Torrix and 13' GTI SU with these on, together with the wind down hood.
    On the VSS16 you can use a KDPS16 or IPS DU6 hood, unfortunately the VSS17 ain't so easy.

Cheers
    Bob

Bob Gill's Blog

Thanks chaps....I knew there would be some out there somewhere.

Crucian...yes those are the very johnnies but I am a fussy old get and itwill have to be both comfortable and nice to look at to be acceptable. The D seat is fine except for the way it bulges to the rear and the E seat looks great apart from the soppy scalloping on the hood. Ideally I'd have a cork bit in front but that's just me being pernickety.

Stupid question. I've called them a screw down fitting. Is that right or are they known as summat else ? I'd hate to sound like a muppett when I ring up.

Skippy

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:28 ----------

Another stupid question. Looking at the H&H stuff [Woody's link] there are a couple of "match" types [KDPS] which look spot on given that I'm refitting a float rod.The choice is size 16 or size 18 but what does that mean ?

If they were shoe sizes I'd understand...but 16 or 18 what ? Is it the diameter of the bore ?

This is a great thread S-Kippy!

Its a bit old hat but I have a couple of Bruce & Walker glass fibre rods(Avon)10/11.5ft long with cork handles and the age old problem of the reel falling off at the wrong time!

I have always wanted to get them altered to accomodate a nice simple(minimal)screw type fitting but I would not want to do the job myself-I would not trust myself to get them dead right!!
    I did contact the company some years ago to check if they would do the conversion for me but they declined and I can see why....

So the question is;can I send these rods somewhere to get the job done sympathetically in the knowledge they will come back with the new seat in the correct position that the balance of the rod is unaffected etc etc??

I am very,very fussy about such things so if it cannot be done properly I'd rather leave them'as is'.....
    Happy to pay as they both do a good job which may sound odd as they are so old BUT the important thing is I enjoy using them.......yes I could easily go out tomorrow and buy two new all singing,all dancing jobies but thats not the point.........

So,any suggestions anyone???

(apologies for using your thread to do this S-Kippy!!)
    Last edited by Tee-Cee; 19-06-2010 at 05:51. Reason: addit note

TeeCee, the rod builder here has done me a superb job and a very good price.

Newton Tackle & Gun Centre - Fishing Tackle, Guns & Accessories

PS He re-ringed my match rod with double leg rings, coz I are heavy handed and broke a single leg, the finished was like new. Well pleased.

The 'bulge to the rear' does look clumsy and ugly, I agree.

I have something similar on a couple of Matt Hayes Starving Whippet float rods though, and they are really comfortable. They are too shiny a plastic and have been flatted down and roughed up. The moving part that grips the reel is plastic too and not cold for it either.

I rarely put a float rod down so comfort and not being cold are important to me and I think whoever put these rods together did a ruddy good job. Shame they aren't made anymore as they are a fantastic blank as well.

In the FM article I linked too it shows a pair of 'graphite' reel bands as grip B.

These are the only reel bands I have ever had reel falling off problems with and they totally spoil John Wilsons 11foot Avon / Quiver rod for me.

Since it is the best selling rod of all time I might just be in a minority of one on that, though.
    The Indifferent Crucian.

You're not....I had an original Wilson Avon and they were the worst sliding bands in the world...ever. Then we had the Roberts "Reel-fits" and they were much better but a screw fitting holds the reel rock solid and when all said and done that is what they are there to do and only that.

I've fitted a few Fuji "screw up" fittings but I dont like the threaded bit because its uncomfortable on a rod that gets held a lot. Screw downs are so much more comfortable and [to me] aesthetically pleasing plus its not that difficult a job. I'm loathe to pay someone to do this when I can do it myself.

I'd never really noticed the cold issue until I became a pin freak using a rod with a metal fitting in the winter. Its really noticeable.

So...what do you think ? I am minded to go for the size 18 GS "match" fitting. Looks OK to me.

---------- Post added at 07:46 ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 ----------

Just a little aside....I needed a ring replacing on the same rod and out of sheer laziness I asked at my local shop if they could do it. They could...for a tenner !

I did it myself.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast