Rod Repairs

jollyboy

Reaction score
I recently sold a rod and sent to Germany on arrival the end of the top section where the quiver tip fits in got broke (Did well out of the insurance:D) Just to see if it would work I tried one of the tips in the section and it still fits as snug as a bug and as only about 2-3 inch broke off and with the tip in it looks right.

So my question is....Is there any rod builders here that can dress (whip) the end of the rod and finish it in the same way as the rest of the rings? and what am I looking at for getting the job done?

It is one of the Dutch Master rods I was selling on the forum (Later sold on Ebay)

Kev

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Why not have a bash yourself, it's not rocket science?

What colour is the thread? They look like black to me, some thread on offer here although it's not the best, keep a look out for Gudebrod A grade like here. Start from the end and whip down, have a very sharp Stanley ready. You just want a couple of turns over the end of the thread and then cut any excess off, keep on whipping for a good 2cms maybe and the last few (6) turns tuck in a loop of the thread. Cut the thread and tuck the last end into the loop and pull the loop back through pulling the end back under the whippings.

Give it a coat of PVA glue diluted with a little water and when that's dried, 2- 3 coats of yacht varnish or the Resin coatings from Hopkins and Holloway.

What have you got to lose? You can always take it off after and redo it as many times as you like and you've had your money out of the insurance so it's a rod for nowt.

See these - Rod building

Or Guide fitting (forget the guide)

jollyboy

Reaction score
Why not have a bash yourself, it's not rocket science?

I know what you are saying...but I want a propper tidy job doing:eek:

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

Hi Kev, your local tackle shop should be able to sort it out for you in 20 min's! :w

I'll ask next time I'm in...cheers