lure rod pimp

dnahacker

Reaction score
I was hoping to canvas opinion on a project before I kick off....

I have a black rock T2 supersport lure rod, it is a twintop with a fine spliced class tip for drop shotting/jig fishing and a more powerful hollow carbon tip for lure fishing

The lure top snapped on the first outing, the manufacturer was brilliant and replaced it

Whilst it works OK , the drop shot tip isn't quite what I wanted, it is a short 6inch glass tip spliced into the rod and the curve in the rod is all wrong in my opinion...

However... I still have the broken tip... So I was thinking I might cut it back further than the drop shot tip and do something akin to a donkey top.

I have measured the blank alon itsmlength for diameter so I can work out the taper and match it
What I wanted was opinion on the glass v solid carbon tip...and the virtues of both

I would like to end up with a sensitive tip with a less pronounced curve than the "real" one

New territory for me

mick b

Reaction score
Your best option is to slide a new tip section down the inside of the original, leave 4-6" inside and secure the join with whipping and epoxy.

If you use this method you can trial each prospective tip, glass or carbon, before you decide which meets your specific requirements, but don't forget to whip the female end before you start sliding sections down the inside.

greenie62

Reaction score
....... but don't forget to whip the female end before you start sliding sections down the inside..
I tried this but she didn't like it - said I could leave the whipping out! :eek::eek:;)

valetudoguy

Reaction score
Your best option is to slide a new tip section down the inside of the original, leave 4-6" inside and secure the join with whipping and epoxy.

If you use this method you can trial each prospective tip, glass or carbon, before you decide which meets your specific requirements, but don't forget to whip the female end before you start sliding sections down the inside.

4-6"????? Asking for a flat spot IMO