ID assistance please

Reaction score
Hi All

I am new here and i have what i believe is a split cane rod. It has the Marco logo and the word Elastiglas and also 20/55 just below the marco label. It is in 3 sections and i would guess about 12ft. Can anyone help me with any info on this beautiful rod? many thanks in advance

Neil

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Elastiglass indicates that it is one of the Modern Arms Company's fibre glass models. Search for Marco in fishing on ebay and it'll bring up a few.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, that is what i thought but it is not modern at all and glass is spelled with only 1 S on the end. and the 20/55 gave me the thought it was no 20 of 55 made. i've googled and searched to find something similar. I have added some pics to my gallery for anyone to take a peep at.

thanks again

Neil

Reaction score
Thanks Sam

sorry i wasn't inferring that you were. I also assumed that due to the name is was a glass rod but it is clearly cane and despite many months of searching the net i just cannot find a thing out about it. I would really love to use it but want to know what it is before i do (you know just in case it is something special, recommended not to be used etc etc)

Reaction score
Many thanks Sam

nope not finding a match there and it doesn't appear to have ever been refurbished but i really appreciate your input. I shall keep up with my quest of ID'ing my cherished rod

thanks

Neil

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If the pictures are in your gallery. Click reply to thread first then, click (insert) under the smileys on the right, click on your chosen picture and it should appear in your thread...

greenie62

Reaction score
..... It is in 3 sections and i would guess about 12ft. Can anyone help me with any info on this beautiful rod? ...

Hi Neil,
Intriguing - the piccies in your gallery look very like built cane - are all the sections the same material? If you can add some more piccies of the top-2 sections, plus close-ups of the joints and rings that may help in identification for some of the more arcane devotees of antique tackle.
Also can you measure it's made-up length? about 12' could be 11'6" to 12'6" - could make a difference in identification!
Cheers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi All

thank you for showing such interest. I have added more images to the gallery but it will not let me add them on this thread (i'm most likely not following the process properly but it says i have no photos ??)
I have just assembled it and i make it 11ft 10" assembled from butt to tip but i am having to use an unsuitable measuring device :( i.e. a ruler over and over as i can't find my tape measure at the moment

thanks again all

Neil

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
No name in copperplate writing, a few inches up the butt from the label?
"Test" (often mis-read as "Jest" because of the old-fashioned capital "T"), "Arun" and "Medway" were the three I've heard of.
Strangely unfashionable but rather good, the Test has been described as "able to pull a donkey out of a carrot field", and I theenkone of the others is hollow-built and a bit nice!
I have a Test, and it comes along when lumpy carp are a possibility.

greenie62

Reaction score
Thanks Al,
Knew you'd add something about Marco!
I note from other sites that several of the Marco rods use the 'Elasticane' name - whereas Neil's uses 'Elastiglas' - does this help date it? - maybe to when they were switching from cane to glass production?

Neil,
Any idea how old the rod is? or its provenance? The buttcork looks very clean and unused - has it been resting in a loft?

Tight Lines!

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone.
Nope no other markings or writing other than those i have already shown. I inherited the rod about a year ago from a very old gentleman along with 5 or 6 other rods and reels including 2 wooden reels and lots of hooks, floats and other angling related parafenalia . I took a shine to it straight away but in the kit that i inherited there was very very modern stuff and clearly stuff from the 60's, 70's, 80's and so on. I would imagine that despite him still angling up until last year the Marco hadn't been used for many years and had been stored in doors (as it is now) in a lovely velvet lined case, so was clearly something he treasured too.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I have a 12' Test and it's almost identical to your rod with exception of the logo
Mine states "Marco Elasticane Test

see below

Reaction score
Thank you again all

the length of the cork handle is 20 and a half inches the metal butt end is 1 and a half inches. does that help?

thanks

Neil

ljm183

Reaction score
Thank you again all

the length of the cork handle is 20 and a half inches the metal butt end is 1 and a half inches. does that help?

thanks

Neil

Neil ,,, the butt section i refer to is the complete first section of the rod from the ferrule to the butt cap on the handle. , what is the length of that in inches ?

Lee.

Last edited: