Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Barbel rods

Default Barbel rods

Hey guys,

First of all merry Christmas! Hope santa brought everything you wanted and you're still talking to the Mrs - being it's the one time of year they realise what fishing tackle costs

Quick question....Hopefully in the right section!

I recently bought 2 tfg tremor barbel rods and on closer inspection have found the lacquer starting to peel along some of the blank.

Is this a cause for concern or is it mainly a cosmetic issue? Just wondering if I need to be looking at re lacquering them soon if it will have a detrimental impact on the rod.

Thanks in advance for the help guys and happy new year!

Default Re: Barbel rods

They're nice rods, a friend of mine has a couple and he loves them.
    The peeling laquer won't cause any harm to the rod but it may look unsightly. I don't know why this happens but it even happens on high end (very expensive) rods. I've heard people say putting a rod away when it's wet can cause it and it probably will but I have even seen new unused rods with bubbles under the varnish/laquer.
    It can be scraped off and re-varnished, i've done it myself on some old daiwa rods and you couldn't tell that i'd done it! Saying that you may be better off getting a rod builder do it for you, I can't see it being a coslty job.

It's mainly on the underside of the blank so not massively noticeable in use.

Just wanted to confirm that's it's only cosmetic as as you say I'd rather get it done professionally but I'd also rather wait to do it with some spare cash than having to find the money to have it done immediately.

Thanks for the help!

It's a fairly easy DIY job; just rub down with fine grade wet-and-dry, then apply the replacement lacquer/varnish with your fingertip to get a smooth finish. As long as the area you're doing it in isn't too dusty it should be indistinguishable from new. I can't see it harming the rod if you leave it, though; it's only cosmetic. It depends how much it's doing your head in, I suppose.
    "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robtherake View Post
    just rub down with fine grade wet-and-dry
    I would use 1200 or even finer to avoid scratching the blank, if it isn't attended to it will get worse if damp gets under it, the varnish will start turning white.

As Rob says its an easy job to do.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield