Help need on the correct names

iain t

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice and information. I very soft rub with very fine wet n dry cleaned it up nicely. Doesn't look brand new but on a 70's rod i didn't want it to. I bought a cheap pair of sliding collars/ winch fitting whatever you call them. The only problem is i need to roll up a Rizla packet to get a tight fitting. They don't seem to be made for a fine foot of a centre pin

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice and information. I very soft rub with very fine wet n dry cleaned it up nicely. Doesn't look brand new but on a 70's rod i didn't want it to. I bought a cheap pair of sliding collars/ winch fitting whatever you call them. The only problem is i need to roll up a Rizla packet to get a tight fitting. They don't seem to be made for a fine foot of a centre pin

Get your self an old allcocks aerial type reel or even a CL and your bands should be a snug fit ;)......

The Bewick was just ok lol...

mikench

Reaction score
I think "winch fitting" is a much older term, Walton talked about "Winches", that should have died out when the "Nottingham Winch" - a wooden reel that looked like a centre-pin except that the drum was retained on the axle by a nut - became superseded by the true centre-pin which runs on the tip of the pin, and the term "reel" gradually expanded to cover all rotating line-holders, including fixed-spools.
The modern abominations that hold the reel/winch on with one fixed band and one movable one locked by a threaded collet are "Reel seats" surely?
I don't like them because they don't let you put the reel on sideways, which can make all the difference if it's windy and wet. Not that I fish much in such conditions nowadays, (nesh git) but it's nice to have the option.

Walton had a Black Country accent and when referring to winches he meant ladies of the night;)

Old fisher

Reaction score
Baby wipes work great at cleaning cork handles and as said before never sand handles clean or the sliding bands will become too loose. If you look at pre owned rods that have cork handles, you will find the sliding bands slipping all the way down to the butt cap showing that the handles have been over sanded.