Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help need on the correct names

Hi. Am putting an old leger rod back in to service. It is fitted with 2 sliding metal rings that hold the reel on. I want to replace these but no sure what the correct name for these. Also the cork is in good order but a little grubby for hand sweat and so on. What the best way to give it a quick clean up

binka Guest

Default Re: Help need on the correct names

I've always known the reel fittings as collars, not sure if there is a special term for them though?

On the handle cleaning...

Once a year I give mine a soft scrub with a nail brush and some warm and mildly soapy water before rinsing and allowing to fully dry, if there is still any stubborn staining a really light tickle with a superfine sandpaper should finish it off.

Cheers Binka. I can now start looking for the collars. I will give the cork a very light sanding

Try this guy
    Ian Tucker, Custom Fishing Rods, 34 Hurst Hill, Walderslade, Chatham, Kent, ME5 9BU
    Tel: 07742 277167

also this link
    Reel Seats | R Chapman & Co
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by iain t View Post
    Cheers Binka. I can now start looking for the collars. I will give the cork a very light sanding
    STOP STOP!! Binka said give it a scrub FIRST. It will in all probability come up like new. Sanding as a last resort could alter the security of the reel on the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissh View Post
    Try this guy
    Ian Tucker, Custom Fishing Rods, 34 Hurst Hill, Walderslade, Chatham, Kent, ME5 9BU
    Tel: 07742 277167

also this link
    Reel Seats | R Chapman & Co
    Blimmin heck I didn't know that , this fella is literally on me doorstep, I'll be checking out meself now in exactly what he does, nice one thanks for sharing

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:06 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by iain t View Post
    Hi. Am putting an old leger rod back in to service. It is fitted with 2 sliding metal rings that hold the reel on. I want to replace these but no sure what the correct name for these. Also the cork is in good order but a little grubby for hand sweat and so on. What the best way to give it a quick clean up
    There called sliding collars

All I use us a washing up sponge with the green scourer bit and just rub over the cork with warm soapy water and the cork has always come up clean enough for my liking

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

I use one of those superfine wetndry sanding sponge type sheets you can get in Wickes i think. A light rub over the cork and it's good as new without materially affecting the diameter of the handle.

Warm as possible water, fairy liquid and a cloth, give it a good rubbing. If you use anything abrasive or with bristles you'll remove the filler from all the little holes in the cork and it'll look shyt. If you do cock it up and dislodge the filler you can buy filler but I think it's quite expensive for what it is.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Just stroke the cork with the wetndry.No need to be too rough. If you do need to fill any holes a bit of plastic wood works fine. I don't bother unless the hole is somewhere that i can feel when I'm using the rod.

And tbh i don't think I've ever done a rod more than once. I don't like my cork handles to look too minty.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    Just stroke the cork with the wetndry.No need to be too rough. If you do need to fill any holes a bit of plastic wood works fine. I don't bother unless the hole is somewhere that i can feel when I'm using the rod.

And tbh i don't think I've ever done a rod more than once. I don't like my cork handles to look too minty.
    Yes, something that puzzles me is when I see anglers with a rod whereby the plastic wrapping is still in place when the rod is being used.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast