Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rods thoughts.

Default Re: Rods thoughts.

The modulus, or more accuratly the Youngs Modulus, is the measurement of the stiffness of a material. Using the words "high modulas" in an advert makes the product seem much better than the low modulus competitor, wether the advertising copywriter has any idea what it means is debatable. It's also debatable wether a stiffer material will actually make a better rod.

Quote Originally Posted by browndog View Post
    The modulus, or more accuratly the Youngs Modulus, is the measurement of the stiffness of a material. Using the words "high modulas" in an advert makes the product seem much better than the low modulus competitor, wether the advertising copywriter has any idea what it means is debatable. It's also debatable wether a stiffer material will actually make a better rod.

I know im9 carbon was supposed to be one of the siffest and most expensive carbons years ago, the old drennan 14ft im9 float rod was about 240 notes 20 odd years back! If you think about it a stiffer carbon will make a better fast action rod which is just up my street .

The secret is blending various grades of carbon to achieve the action you want but the highest grades of carbon are not always suitable to manufacture a rod blank,
    In recent times there has been more development in the resins used in holding the carbon together than the carbon itself.

In engineering terms 'modulus' refers to a property called Young's Modulus or Modulus of Elasticity or simply Elastic Modulus.

It is a measure of how stiff a material is, i.e. How much it will deflect (in mm say) when a load (a force in Newtons) is applied.

The higher the Modulus of Elasticity for a given material the higher the stiffness.

The formula is E = Stress / Strain

Where stress is force per unit area in Newtons/ mm squared

And strain is the ration of deflection/ original length.

So, a 'high Modulus carbon' is stiffer.

Hope that helps.
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

My understanding was in simple terms the higher the modulus of the Carbon the more carbon fibres there were packed together and the less space there was between them. This does seems to tie in with the above remarks as the less space and more fibers there are, the stiffer the weave and blank will become. Of course there will eventually be a tipping point were the rod becomes too stuff to be of any real use.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    I'm not remotely convinced that match rod blanks are any better now than they were twenty to thirty years ago. They are almost definitely a bit heavier in action. I find that quality fittings (rings and reel seats) are better and lighter now, but I miss proper stand off rings on float rods. Most modern rings are much smaller and closer to the blank than I'd like.
    My main rods are a Shimano Antares 13ft float, and a couple of Harrison blanks, 12ft 6in two piece barbel rod, 1.75lb test curve. My latest for heavier carp float fishing is a GTI SU 13ft. I find both the Harrison rods excellent with 5 -7lb line, usually the lighter line as personal choice. The Shimano Antares I had to have re eyed due to the poor eyes fitted at source, but certainly not a young rod, but i thought worth spending the money on new eyes. I use this with 3 or 4lb line for silver fishing and carp upto about 8-9lb.
    I have since bought and past on more modern lighter rods, which I never really settled with. Preferring the more through action of the older style rods

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12