Cork repair?

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks for that Old fisher. I can't remember which rod I had the problem with now :). We've discussed rod handles a few times on here. Barbel rods aside, I'm all for full cork handles on a rod - they look and feel far superior to the plastic screw and foam blob arrangements which are the norm now. Worst of all - the handle with a sad little section of cheap cork sandwiched, where you never grip it, between lengths of black foam. It's like splicing a small piece of wood into mdf furniture - just reminds you what the right stuff looks like.. I've had full cork fitted on a couple of modern rods with particularly nasty reel seats. Here's a couple of old models still going strong.

cork.jpg

Old fisher

Reaction score
Thanks for that Old fisher. I can't remember which rod I had the problem with now :). We've discussed rod handles a few times on here. Barbel rods aside, I'm all for full cork handles on a rod - they look and feel far superior to the plastic screw and foam blob arrangements which are the norm now. Worst of all - the handle with a sad little section of cheap cork sandwiched, where you never grip it, between lengths of black foam. It's like splicing a small piece of wood into mdf furniture - just reminds you what the right stuff looks like.. I've had full cork fitted on a couple of modern rods with particularly nasty reel seats. Here's a couple of old models still going strong.

View attachment 18843
Hi nottskev. I've completely rebuilt 9 split cane rods. I remove everything from the cane and start again. I turn new handles on one of my lathes using cork shives. Fit new ferrules and eyes where needed and recoat with 3 or 4 coats of varnish. I've built 6 carp rods using B James rods to get the ring spacings correct, and the other rods have been 3 piece float/ledger rods. In the process of stripping the original rods I removed 4 screw reel fittings as in my opinion they don't look right.