Cork repair?

nottskev

Reaction score
I've got a bit of a problem with holes. It's a 15' rod, so the butt is not the slimmest and the corks rather thin walled to keep the diameter down. Some mix of cork dust and glue is probably the way to go, but I wondered if anyone has any specific suggestions. (Apart from "Fit a screw seat" - took one of those off to fit the cork.)

cork.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As you say cork dust and glue, otherwise it's a new handle.
My m8 had a drennan im8 super feeder and the cork became a little crushed like yours and his reel was ready for dropping off when he used it. He used a bit of electrical tape round the bottom ring and it worked fin but he got fed up with doing that and he didn't like the aappearance of it.
He had someone fit a complete new cork and a fuji seat and the rod is spot on......he does wish he'd kept it original though :rolleyes:. Maybe just a new cork fittted same style as you have now?

wetthrough

Reaction score
I have some of this Cork Bottom Filler. from way back but never used it. I've just pasted a bit onto some balsa to see what it's like when it sets. It's basically ground up cork in some sort of medium/glue. If it seems like it might do I could send you some in a zip lock bag. I'll post back once it's set.

liphook

Reaction score
David Norwich sells an excellent cork filler. You could let it harden then seal the handle with U40 to strengthen the entire handle

nottskev

Reaction score
David Norwich sells an excellent cork filler. You could let it harden then seal the handle with U40 to strengthen the entire handle

Thanks for that. Left me wondering a) who is David Norwich b) what is U40? Drew a blank on a), but found numerous positive reports on the sealant. Interesting, as I'd vaguely picked up the idea that sealing cork was a bad idea. I read a little U40 goes a long way, so I'm not sure if I want to add to the stack in the shed yet another tin of a product where you use a brushfull and then store the rest til doomsday. Perhaps you can buy in small quantities?

mikench

Reaction score
Watch this Kev!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phX6m8GKj5Q

Couriously today beaten by truly horrible weather I decided to fill a small hole in the armlock handle of the amorphous whisker float rod! I grated a champagne cork( what else, it's a great rod) and mixed it with copydex glue! The first attempt failed as the filler came out on sanding! My second attempt can wait until tomorrow for the sanding process!

dave m

Reaction score
Rod dancer pit paste from guides and banks will do a great cork repair, did my old harrisons with it and they looked brand new.20170625_192058.jpg

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
I have some of this Cork Bottom Filler. from way back but never used it. I've just pasted a bit onto some balsa to see what it's like when it sets. It's basically ground up cork in some sort of medium/glue. If it seems like it might do I could send you some in a zip lock bag. I'll post back once it's set.

Dissappointing results I'm afraid. It doesn't stick well enough.

mikench

Reaction score
I tried the grated cork in copydex glue and it was a failure. I bought some of the Roddancer cork pit paste as recommended by Dave M in this thread and having ordered it yesterday it arrived today! Well it works a treat! I have just sanded the handle and you can hardly see the infill!

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I tried the grated cork in copydex glue and it was a failure. I bought some of the Roddancer cork pit paste as recommended in this thread and having ordered it yesterday it arrived today! Well it works a treat! I have just sanded the handle and you can hardly see the infill!

Did you get it from Guides n Blanks?

mikench

Reaction score
I got it from Meadow Fishery Ltd on eBay for £6.65 plus postage! This may be the same company!

liphook

Reaction score
Glad you got sorted with the Rod Dancer product Nottskev:cool: FYI David Norwich is a very highly respected rod developer, blank maker and rod builder who has now retired but does still sell components etc via ebay and his website. Maybe when you said you "drew a blank" you were making a pun?:D His rod ranges- from split cane through to multi modulus carbon - were the epitome of a true UK cottage industry and highly thought of in the game angling trade

John Keane

Reaction score
Use Araldite epoxy or Super Epoxy (the one with the red car on the packaging) mixed with cork sawdust and it will stick a treat and sand down nicely afterwards. Been using it as cork filler for donkey’s years.

mikench

Reaction score
I hadn't until it was recommended on here! It works not that any of my rods need it! An old amorphous whisker I recently bought in super condition had two small nicks in the handle and this stuff has made them perfect again!

Old fisher

Reaction score
Hi nottskev I know this is an old thread and your all sorted out with your problem regarding cork filler, but years ago I found that you can buy a product in most DIY stores called BRUMMER. It comes in different wood colours. It is in very small tins and works very well and I have used it many times. Actually Guides & Blanks sell it with a label stuck on the tin saying Cork Filler. That label makes the product cost loads more money. I like the natural coloured one best. Hope this helps in the future.