Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cork repair?

Default Cork repair?

I've got a bit of a problem with holes. It's a 15' rod, so the butt is not the slimmest and the corks rather thin walled to keep the diameter down. Some mix of cork dust and glue is probably the way to go, but I wondered if anyone has any specific suggestions. (Apart from "Fit a screw seat" - took one of those off to fit the cork.)

Cork repair?-cork.jpg

Default Re: Cork repair?

As you say cork dust and glue, otherwise it's a new handle.
    My m8 had a drennan im8 super feeder and the cork became a little crushed like yours and his reel was ready for dropping off when he used it. He used a bit of electrical tape round the bottom ring and it worked fin but he got fed up with doing that and he didn't like the aappearance of it.
    He had someone fit a complete new cork and a fuji seat and the rod is spot on......he does wish he'd kept it original though . Maybe just a new cork fittted same style as you have now?

Blog Entries

I have some of this Cork Bottom Filler. from way back but never used it. I've just pasted a bit onto some balsa to see what it's like when it sets. It's basically ground up cork in some sort of medium/glue. If it seems like it might do I could send you some in a zip lock bag. I'll post back once it's set.

David Norwich sells an excellent cork filler. You could let it harden then seal the handle with U40 to strengthen the entire handle

Quote Originally Posted by liphook View Post
    David Norwich sells an excellent cork filler. You could let it harden then seal the handle with U40 to strengthen the entire handle
    Thanks for that. Left me wondering a) who is David Norwich b) what is U40? Drew a blank on a), but found numerous positive reports on the sealant. Interesting, as I'd vaguely picked up the idea that sealing cork was a bad idea. I read a little U40 goes a long way, so I'm not sure if I want to add to the stack in the shed yet another tin of a product where you use a brushfull and then store the rest til doomsday. Perhaps you can buy in small quantities?

Watch this Kev!

Couriously today beaten by truly horrible weather I decided to fill a small hole in the armlock handle of the amorphous whisker float rod! I grated a champagne cork( what else, it's a great rod) and mixed it with copydex glue! The first attempt failed as the filler came out on sanding! My second attempt can wait until tomorrow for the sanding process!

Rod dancer pit paste from guides and banks will do a great cork repair, did my old harrisons with it and they looked brand new.Cork repair?-20170625_192058.jpg
    Last edited by dave m; 27-11-2018 at 18:58.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wetthrough View Post
    I have some of this Cork Bottom Filler. from way back but never used it. I've just pasted a bit onto some balsa to see what it's like when it sets. It's basically ground up cork in some sort of medium/glue. If it seems like it might do I could send you some in a zip lock bag. I'll post back once it's set.
    Dissappointing results I'm afraid. It doesn't stick well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by wetthrough View Post
    Dissappointing results I'm afraid. It doesn't stick well enough.
    It was kind of you to experiment on my behalf!

I tried the grated cork in copydex glue and it was a failure. I bought some of the Roddancer cork pit paste as recommended by Dave M in this thread and having ordered it yesterday it arrived today! Well it works a treat! I have just sanded the handle and you can hardly see the infill!
    Last edited by mikench; 29-11-2018 at 19:09.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast