Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Painting a Rapidex Centrepin ....

I have already got an old Trudex reel which I purchased last year to take along to my annual summer Barbel trip on the Severn : Pleased to say that I managed to land an 8lb Barbel on it and was well chuffed ... so much so that I have just purchased an old Rapidex from e-bay .... I think I have caught the centrepin bug.

The paintwork on the Rapidex reel I have just purchased looks like it could do with a bit of tidy up - however, I am not sure how I would go about this or whether or not I should just enjoy the reel as it is with is years of acquired character and battle scars.

From a quick look on the internet I could probably get it back to to bare metal (sand blast or similar) / coat with aliminium primer / top coat with black satin Plasti-kote - and hopefully end up with a decent finish.

However, I could possibly also end up with a lot of regrets and wish I had just left it as it was.

I think I know what I will end up doing but welcome your thoughts / observations.

Thanks.
    Ruffy

Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The universe
    Blog Entries

take it too a car spay shop ask about powder coating and other finishes
    Chavender Floats
    I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Quote Originally Posted by chavender View Post
    take it too a car spay shop ask about powder coating and other finishes
    As someone who used to run a car body shop, I would say that it would probably be cheaper to throw it away and buy a new reel than have it done professionally.

If you go to a car paint supply company you can buy Etch primer in an aerosol. remove the old finish first and any blemishes, key the reel with a bit of scotch brite, wipe it with thinners and then give it a couple of coats of the Etch primer followed by a couple of coats of satin black. I did an old Speedia that looked a bit tatty about four years ago and it still looks fine.

If the reel has value as a collectors piece then it's best left with it's original finish. I don't think the reel in question really falls into that catagory, so tidy it up and use it.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Thanks for your replies.

Will give it a go with some careful preparation / masking / priming and a satin black top coat - its far from a collectors piece (£ 25 from e-bay - bargain !) so really only after giving it a tidy up so that it hopefully lasts another forty odd years.

Thanks.
    Ruffy

Sorted .... Came out OK I am pleased to say..........

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/p...pictureid=1553

Thanks for your assistance.

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

Meant to include the before pics as well .....

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/p...pictureid=1554

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/p...pictureid=1555
    Ruffy