Reel seat out of line

craftycarper

Reaction score
Hi everyone.last year i purchased 2 mk2 century armalites for 100 pounds each,new from bob norris.(lovely rods,nice bloke too,very helpfull).

In the summer i noticed the tip ring looked a little ******.i just had a 'just one of those things moments' as a 10 degree error on the top eye is not going to lose me fish.

However,after braving the snow yesterday and getting on the bank,i noticed that there was a huge angle on all the rings when the reel sat straight on the rest,maybe 25-30 degrees out!

So i checked the groove down the top of the reel seat and its well out from the signature he's put on the rod.there appears to be no gap between the duplon trim and the blank,top or bottom of the seat.so how has the blank slipped round(or reel)???

I dont know enough about rods to figure it out,but my common sense just cannot find any logic in this.

Anyone know a)how this could happen(bob is a very reputable rod builder and has a colum in the freshwater informer)and b)is it worth me sending it all the way back to essex or is it a cheap ammendment that i can get done locally(ie.a tenner)

Many thanks.tight lines.crafty

Morespiders

Reaction score
EHH up Crafty, have you tried moving the reel foot sideways left or right in the fittinng?, this often soves the problem if the reel has slipped round in the fitting.

craftycarper

Reaction score
Cheers Morespiders.

Not too sure on the termanologies involved.reel foot im guessing is the upper moveable piece with the locking nut attached which you wind into one end of the reel?i can see the whole seat is out of line,but its not loose and there seems to be no evidence of any movement(but it has!)or perishing between the duplon trim and the blank where its adhesively bonded(im guessing the blank runs right through the seat which is why its so strange!)

Now my hands have thawed out ill have a look in proper light tomorrow and see what may have happened(but wanted to ask on here so i dont damage my rod using unnecassary force)

Very strange!

Morespiders

Reaction score
Sounds like the reels fitting has moved round on the blank, do the rings all still line up, is it on both rods?

craftycarper

Reaction score
It had indeed twisted out of line and i have managed to twist it back.common sense prevails,yeah!how can i fix it to the blank properly and how the hell did it happen?oh well,ill have to be more carefull!cheers mate

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Have you thought of asking Bob about it? Go straight to the horses mouth.

Alternatively, make up a stick and prop your reel to one side, that way the rings will all hang vertically. :j:wh

Morespiders

Reaction score
Cant say Crafty, without seeing it, it happens, best bet is to send it back to Bob Morris, he will fix it, unfortunatley the other may go the same way, not a great problem ,just an inconvenience, good luck.
PS dont go dripping superglue down the edges it wont work, just make a mess

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I did wonder if the builder had used hot-melt glue, which does allow for dismantling and repair in the future, but also sometimes loosens in direct sunlight.

It's a popular way of attatching tip rings on rods these days but does occasionaly let go.....sunlight or storage in a tube left in a car on a sunny day will do it.