Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Does anybody recognise this cane rod?

Does anybody recognise this rod? It's pretty beefy, a carp or barbel would have trouble with it, ten feet of split cane and probably one and three quarter pound test and with a very short handle with solid brass butt knob with the reel seat slap bang in the middle which makes me think it's a spinning rod. The reel seat looks like those used on the Wallis Light caster but put on the other way around which makes it a bit awkward for me to use.

Next cast ...

Idler's Quest

"Does anybody recognise this rod?"

Yes its mine........ What are you doing with it?

thats the one I lent you Mark

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

glad the table aint mine ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    two wrongs dont make a right but three rights make a left !

I too, thought it a a spinning rod, perhaps for salmon. It might also have been marketed as a 'worming' rod for the same fish. Then I saw the high bells rings, normally associated with an float rod.

Those reel mountings are a bit of a pain..they even fitted them to float rods in the late sixties...cold and uncomfortable.

Unusual to be a three piece at ten foot, it might have been intended for easier transportation, with its shorter sections. Propably make a nice rod for stalking carp ?????

I'd guess it was marketed as a 'stepped-up' Avon rod if those rings and their whippings look original ????
    The Indifferent Crucian.

Quote Originally Posted by the indifferent crucian View Post
    if those rings and their whippings look original ????
    I'm not sure that they are original, they look like stand off float rod rings to me. I guess the rod has been restored by an amateur. With a test curve of that of a carp rod the rings should be low to the rod and heavy, I'd guess.

I was thinking, as the rod is probably messed with and not a name brand then I would be justified in stripping it right down to the blank and making a proper project of it?
    Next cast ...

Idler's Quest

Ah well, If the rod looks to have been restored at some time then I would revert to my first opinion of a spinning or worming rod. I don't personally see any problem with restoring it again to what you wish for it.

If I were to use it as a carp rod for marginal stalking I might prefer the high bells rings to lessen the likelihood of wet line snagging on the cane after repeated castings if floater fishing, but otherwise, like you, I would think lined low bells rings the norm for such a rod.....

Bit hard to find, there is a set on eBay at the moment, I believe.

I could provide a link by pm if you wish?
    The Indifferent Crucian.

Thanks, I'll take you up on that offer, IC.
    Next cast ...

Idler's Quest

Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The universe
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Does anybody recognise this rod? It's pretty beefy, a carp or barbel would have trouble with it, ten feet of split cane and probably one and three quarter pound test and with a very short handle with solid brass butt knob with the reel seat slap bang in the middle which makes me think it's a spinning rod. The reel seat looks like those used on the Wallis Light caster but put on the other way around which makes it a bit awkward for me to use.

i have someware a 10ft float rod very simular too that one i'll put a photo up to compare with
    Chavender Floats
    I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Blog Entries

I'd go for a 'restored' spinning rod. I've got a 'float' rod that when I took the button off the butt showed evidence of the pin that was there to hold the fixed reel seat for a salmon reel. I'm debating a reringing with low bells life rings and a new life as a barbel rod. The problem with cane rods is that a lot of them are bought cheaply and then converted into something more saleable. This is often done as cheaply as possible leaving the purchaser with a *******ised rod that won't perform as expected.

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:12 ----------

I wouldn't hesitate to strip it back and make it into something you can use Rufus. I've got at least one such project on the go at the moment.
    The Old Pedant

Quot homines, tot sententiae. My blog

Blog Entries

My guess is that it has been restored along the way. It is, I think, an Allcocks 10ft salmon spinning rod which were made up to the end of the 50s.

It was also a rod recommended by Allcocks for carp fishing.

This is all conjecture of course but a guess based on some knowledge is better than a blind guess.