Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Help with rod identification

OK Cane Heads here's a challenge! I've just acquired a rod which is labelled "A Special Rod By Milward". It's 8ft long with a 16 inch cork handle with sliding reel fittings. The tip and butt rings appear to be nickel silver with pale cream "agate" inserts. I suspect it was designed as a light worming rod, but some ignoramus appears to have used it for sea fishing as the alloy on the butt button and the hard chrome intermediates have disintegrated.

The rod is exquisite: light and steely, with silk black and white whippings and lovely dark cane.

My guess for age is late 40's early 50's due to the alloy fittings and the spigotted ferrules.

So what is it?

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:53 ----------

I've just weight it. It weighs 5oz!

If it was a fly rod I'd be having an orgasm. I've fished with a Charles Ritz Parabolic and this feels nicer!
    Last edited by Sean Meeghan; 13-04-2010 at 21:24.
    The Old Pedant

Quot homines, tot sententiae. My blog

Definitely a rod Sean

Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason

Blog Entries

Thanks Graham I'll take it out of my reel cabinet.
    The Old Pedant

Sean, I've got a Milward catalogue for the 56/57 season. It lists the Spincraft at 8ft. and most of the spinning rods have tenon ferrules.

They go on to offer 'ultra light models' for continental use, using the 'staggered ferrule system', but I have no idea what that means..these are short rods, but it does show that they were prepared to make 'specials'

Is it a 2 or 3 piece rod? I'd guess 2 or you would have mentioned it...in which case it might be a Spinmaster but not the Pikemaster which was a 3 joint rod.

I'm guessing that you would have mentioned if it had a reverse taper butt ?

It would be usual for Milward to have whipped it in red/black for a coarse rod and yellow/black for a game rod, though some match rods were done in very dark blue.

It did occur to me that the handle was a bit short for a worming rod, but as a 'special' who can say? They also made a lot of rods for gentlemens outfitters such as departments of Gamages, the Army and Navy and Harrods. As well as rods under the Hexacane brand, without a mention of Milward or the crest.

Incidentally some Milward rods have a black hexagon behind the coat of arms( though it really is just a crest), dated to the mid-fifties, I have been unable to find a reson for it, but it does seem to help date them.
    The Indifferent Crucian.

Blog Entries

It's a two piece with white/black or silver/black whippings. The screw-in button on the butt is white spongey rubber with a green felt washer. If I was rating it I'd say it was built to cast around 1/4 ounce. It's definitely not a Swimversa and it hasn't got a crest or logo, just the writing as described in a tasteful spiral where the 'strongarm' logo would normally be. Given the use of alloy fittings I did wonder if the more likely date was the 1950's, but the tip and butt ring aren't typical of that era. They are very similar to the material on my early Wizard which would indicate late 30's, 1940's or possibly early 50's and I would guess that they are nickel silver judging by the tarnish

I did wonder if it was a special made for a store, a senior manger or a valued customer.

I did wonder about taping some rings on it and trying a fly line through it and rebuilding it as a fly rod if it felt right. As it is I'll probably by a few new rings and the best thread match I can find and restore it to how it should be.
    Last edited by Sean Meeghan; 14-04-2010 at 19:00.
    The Old Pedant

I forgot to mention, the writing on Milwards rods was invariably white...I don't know how it was done, not a lot of white ink about. The best rings were often made of German nickel-silver, but I imagine there wasn't much of that in the UK after 1939? When you say alloy winch mountings , do you mean aluminium. If so that tends to come late in the Fifties, I think...before that they were usually brass, which is an alloy, where aluminium isn't, hence my confusion.

Milwards did indeed do one-offs and gifts for senior managers, indeed that is how the 'Versa' range came about, with its hollow-built reverse taper butt. This was around for several years before Terry Thomas designed the Swimversa for them.

Incidentally, I learned last year that Milward successfuly applied for a European patent on the reverse taper butt. Which might mean Mr. Barder owes somebody some royalties for his Craftversa copy
    The Indifferent Crucian.

Blog Entries

Sorry an old engineering habit. The reel fittings are aluminium as is the collar and the butt fitting.

So it will probably remain a puzzle: a very nice cane blank with quality fittings probably from the 1950's, probably made by Milwards, but not a standard model.

Thanks for your help IC!
    The Old Pedant

Blog Entries

If it's only an 8ft rod in 2 pieces then they're only good for bush style broad beans or the short french bean varieties. For peas you need something around 10ft, a Walker Mk4 is fine, and for runner beans it has to be the full 11 or 12 ft varieties, Barder especially, but they're more modern of course.

"I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Woody View Post
    If it's only an 8ft rod in 2 pieces then they're only good for bush style broad beans or the short french bean varieties. For peas you need something around 10ft, a Walker Mk4 is fine, and for runner beans it has to be the full 11 or 12 ft varieties, Barder especially, but they're more modern of course.

Sean,

Ignore the man, he is simply a philistine!

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    Ignore the man, he is simply a philistine!
    Never been to the middle east!

"I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast