robin hoods bay

B

Ben Herrington

i hear a lot about fishing at robin hoods bay but several people have said it is very dangerous at high tide, Is this true?? And if it is can anybody e-mail me any info on areas to fish?? any info would be very appreciated

D

Davy North

Robin Hoods Bay is good rough ground fishing. The danger is the same as any other rock marks. You've got to watch the incoming tide, know exactly what time the tides are. Don't fish the marks in big seas, and never go alone.

Apart from all that it can produce, even in the summer. Boggle Hole a mark about a mile or so south of Robin Hoods bay also fishes well. They are all fairly rough marks, so simple rigs with rotten bottoms are best.

Check out the venue at low water before you start fishing that way you'll see all the gullies, and may be from up on the cliff, you'll get a better idea.

If you don't fancy that there's always the sea wall at Robin Hoods Bay. I havn't fished from it, but people do.

There's many good rough ground marks in the area. Saltwick Bay to the east of Whitby is a noted one, and some friends of mine have had some good wrasse from Gristhorpe, between Scarborough and Filey.

Is this any good?

B

Ben Herrington

This is brilliant info and i'm sure it will help produce many fish for me!!

D

Davy North

Ben,
Have you ever tried Filey Brigg? I havn't, it's a bit too far for me for a few hours, but I'm going to Primrose Vally in a few weeks so you never know?

B

Ben Herrington

nope never tried there - a bit to rocky for me!! i'm a born beach angler

D

Davy North

I wont ask about Marine Drive then?
I know rough ground fishing can be savage amusment, with the loss of tackle, but it can reap rewards.

Have you ever tried using sections of bike tyre inner tube filled with sand as a sinker? They don't look pretty, they don't cast well, but the beauty of rock fishing is you don't have to cast far.

Cut sections of inner tube, you'll have to have a couple of trys until you get the right length for the weight you want. Tie one end up with nylon, fill it with sand, then tie that end up, but leave a loop to attach to your trace.

I first used them in Cowbar Gully near Staithes. I got laughted at when other anglers saw them. They were laughting on the other side of their face when they were losing a lead a chuck, and the old inner tube was just pulling out!