Reaction score
WOT IS THE BEST LAMP ON THE MARKET

ME OLD TILLEY AS DIED AFTER MANY YRS LOYAL SERVICE

TIGHT-LINES ROCK-ROVER GARY

alan

Reaction score
colemans dual fuel.

here

never used that company, just a link to the light.

my mates been using one for a few years. its been abused on the beach, flooded out on a boat, used on lakes, and taken camping. runs on unleaded and a tank full will last a full night on full.

spare mantles are cheap. the only other thing that might go is the generator, again cheap and easy to replace, or if you caught out one night, to strip and clean.

i should point out, we are the nutty type sea anglers, so its been used in temps below freezing, torrential rain, and force 8-9 winds.

Deanos

Reaction score
Look Granville....if you paid the electric bill like the rest of us....you would not need one would you!

GARY ALLEN 3

Reaction score
hi alan herd from a few people bout generators going

last thing i wont 2 do is pounce bout with a lamp wen me mates r reeling cod

i must b one of the nutty 1s as well i dont do fair weather fishin

hi graham if its worth the money then money aint a problem

hi deanos i live in thanet were still on gas lamps aint got leecy yet

tight-lines

gary

alan

Reaction score
Gary, the genny wont fail instantly, it goes over time and you will know when its going. all that will happen is the light will not be as bright as normal, and no matter how much you put the pressure you pump it up to it wont get brighter. in 4 years the genny has been replaced twice.

GARY ALLEN 3

Reaction score
hi alan wot c.p is it and is it dual mantle

also been told on another forum that i can up-grade me tilly [250 cp]

to 500cp so im looking at that idea as well better avin 2 lamps than 1

been on that link and that seems 2 b a good price

also been told anchor lamps r good as well

gary

alan

Reaction score
its dual mantle, as to power, i dont know. i do that that 3 of us can use the one light on the beach, its bright enough to light a 14ft boat so there was no need for anchor lights, and its more then bright enough for us to launch and recover the boat in the dark.

its my mates one that we use, but i would not hesitate to buy my own when the need arises.

ive not seen the anchor lamps so i couldnt comment.

GARY ALLEN 3

Reaction score
HI GRAHAM JUST 2 LET U NO AND THE OTHERS WHO REPLIED 2 POST

IVE JUST BROUGHT A NORTH STAR FROM NORWICH CAMPING CENTER

4 75QUID TIGHT-LINES

GARY

Steveg

Reaction score
Anchor lamp has been good and reliable for many years. Just got it out of it's box and put a litre of 'fin in it. Fired up the burner and it lit first time. Not been out to play for four years!

Used the Tilley lamps for many years before but these are a pain in the butt to light and are a bit dated now.

Was considering the Coleman if the Anchor didn't perform, but guess I'll vote for my trusty Anchor. Had it for about 12 years now and can still get all parts needes.

Watched one on ebay that went for £9.50!

Tight Lines All.

David Craine

Reaction score
I am a greedy git, and a collectorholic for anything fishing related.I have a Coleman Northstar, a Coleman dual mantle, 2 x Anchor lamps, and 2 x 500cp Tilleys.

I use them all for beach fishing,and can say without any doubt that the Anchors are the best and most reliable ,they have a terrific bright light, and are easy to light, but,they succumb to rust, so you have to keep them well cleaned and I allways clean them off, and spray with WD40 after every trip,both the Colemans are good,but they do not have the small presure release valve that the Anchors have, so you have to wait until they have cooled off before releasing the pressure.

The 2 x Tileys are bright and reliable,but are somewhat dated now, having to pre-heat the generator with a meths clip is fiddly and sometimes the meths burns off before the lamp has been heated sufficiently tolight.

A tip for anybody using a Tilley or Anchor, or Coleman dual Mantle... dont fasten the mantle on with the string tie, place the neck of the mantle around the atomiser, and twist a loop of soft copper wire around the mantle top, it will stay on far longer than when tied on with string.

GARY ALLEN 3

Reaction score
hi dave

my n/star lights up the whole beach and has electronic ignition

as 4 releasing the pressure wot i do is turn light nob off

and open up fuel tank

as 4 pre-warmin tilleys wot i use 2 do was get an old shoe polish tin put whole in middle of lid and slide it over vapouriser tube fiil lid with pre-soaked coton wool and light

this warms up the vapouriser in no time and 2 stop wind blowin out mantle that sometimes happen's i slide tin up 2 glass and hold it there with a peg

gary

David Craine

Reaction score
Steady there Gary, if you turn off the mantle and open the fuel tank cap, the heat from the just extingished mantle can set the expelled pressure , which carries petrol fumes alight, this has happened once to me, and almost resulted in a VERRY bad accident, the electronic ingition casette melted, and the lamp had to be soaked to put it out. I still have the melted ignition casette,and the scorch marks.

Like the idea for warming up the Tilleys though.I will pinch it if you dont mind. ;0)

Dave.

David Craine

Reaction score
Hi Gary, not yet, I have been using my Coleman, with a new ignition casette.

Dave.