beginner Mackerel fishing

dell

Reaction score
so, im going to be spending a week down on the south coast in a couple of weeks, with the family. wanting to spend a day having a crack at sea fishing.
main target would be mackerel i reckon.
the question is, where do you start!?
i've been reading bits n bobs here n there and im thinking single lure fishing from the beach using my pike gear.
i've seen the feather setups people use but i think id avoid that as when you find a shoal you seem to land a hell of alot of fish! and im thinking more sport fishing than anything else (although mackerel is a family favourite on the bbq).
i've read that dexter wedge lure are a good choice!?
also, the most important thing, marks to fish, around bognor? hopefully pretty quiet places so we dont get in the way of other more serious anglers.
anyone know any good online shops to purchased sea fishing bits n bobs!?
cheers in advance
Dell

Specihunter

Reaction score
Hmmmmm where do you want me to start. It's either or really with lure or feathers so take both, if you are using your pike rod use a 3oz lead max with 10lb plus breaking strain line. So my advice is head for the piers South Parade Pier in Portsmouth is a good spot, as I don't think they come close to the shore so no quiet spots I'm afraid. Oh trust me on this us serious anglers don't mind pleasure anglers as long as they can cast straight :guinness::beer::thumbs:
But one word of warning and this about mackie fishing if the fish aren't there don't waste your energy, wait till they turn up then go for them.

bullet

Reaction score
If you can find a beach with resonable depth of water (15 ft +) at high tide you should get Mackerel,especially when HT coincides with evening and on bigger tides.Best sport to be had with avon rod and sliding float.Strip of Mackerel as bait.Dexters also work OK, or spinning with Mackerel strip as bait.
Any place where you have access to deep water eg piers and headlands also good.

Chevin

Reaction score
Just about anything that moves and flashes will take mackerel - even bare hooks. Mackerel are shoal fish and their greatest fear is that one of the others will get the food first, so they take with hardly looking at what they are taking. Fishing a single bait/lure is great for sport fishing for mackerel, but a string of feathers works well if you need a lot of bait for a day in deeper water.

dnahacker

Reaction score
Hmmmmm where do you want me to start. It's either or really with lure or feathers so take both, if you are using your pike rod use a 3oz lead max with 10lb plus breaking strain line. So my advice is head for the piers South Parade Pier in Portsmouth is a good spot, as I don't think they come close to the shore so no quiet spots I'm afraid. Oh trust me on this us serious anglers don't mind pleasure anglers as long as they can cast straight :guinness::beer::thumbs:
But one word of warning and this about mackie fishing if the fish aren't there don't waste your energy, wait till they turn up then go for them.

south parade pier is populated by pikeys.... stella cans and squid boxes strewn everywhere and a fug of skunk smoke drifting around.... really classy..

if you wanna catch mackerel then chesil beach is the place to go a set of feathers and a 3 oz lead is the best approach, dont for get to use a shockleader.. wallop it out then reel it back in working the feathers with the rod and a variable retrieve speed... it can get a bit samey... string of 6 per chuck at times but you wont go hungry..

red creel

Reaction score
south parade pier is populated by pikeys.... stella cans and squid boxes strewn everywhere and a fug of skunk smoke drifting around.... really classy..

if you wanna catch mackerel then chesil beach is the place to go a set of feathers and a 3 oz lead is the best approach, dont for get to use a shockleader.. wallop it out then reel it back in working the feathers with the rod and a variable retrieve speed... it can get a bit samey... string of 6 per chuck at times but you wont go hungry..

Would agree to an extent re the quality of your fellow angler at South Parade Pier.Early doors its ok but when the "human flotsam" turns up its time to leave.No need to leg it over to Chesil though Eastney and Hurst are a good bet IMHO

Specihunter

Reaction score

If you read his statement he said marks around BOGNER not Bournemouth. Just had a thought have a look at Brighton and try this site Sea Fishing and Sea Angling Online Magazine / Forum / Sea Fishing Tackle Shop
It will have anglers who know what's going on.

syxx

Reaction score
We've had good luck with jigs with mylar filament, gives a good flash and is fairly durable. Tip with a bit of bait such as shrimp to really get them going!