hafan y mor beach sport

pafenttiman

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with information regards beach sport at hafan y mor on the llyn peninsula, North Wales. I'm going in August and will be using a 1.75lb test barbel rod. Probably only have very short sessions, and an hour or two after dark.

Which species, rigs and areas.

Regards, Pete :)

dead peg

Reaction score
i went a few years ago around that time , we had a few hours with a couple of beach casting rods . we had a couple of bass 2-3lb at high tide , one on a pennel rig , one on a flapper rig . bait was crab and squid , you can dig for small worms on the beach or theres a butchers in pwhelli (sp?) town centre that sells cheap bait ( hes got a bait sign in window )
you can fish the main beach or at the far right hand side of the holiday park theres access to a small sandy inlet where you can fish from the rocks or go spinning for bass
they also sell a few bits of tackle in the shop on site but in think it was mainly coarse fishing bits for the fishing lake on site

Last edited:

shooting head

Reaction score
The most impotant thing with sea fishing is knowledge, know the tide times high and low water, fishing from rocks can be very dangerous, go with someonelse and always tell others where your going. Tides, 2 perday add approx 20mins per tide or 1hr a day.

Walk an area at low tide and look at what will become the seabed, look for gullies in the sand or between rocks, on a rising tide fish will swim in less than a foot of water (first at the table you might say).
Worm beds shell fish beds etc are good featers for the feeding fish. Take a tranisit point from land to mark you spot, when the water comes in it all looks the same. Fishing time is up to you, 2hrs up and 2hrs down used to work for me.
Know your size limits if taking fish for the table, the fisheries officers used to be very hot round there. I encountered them alot, mostly when fishing from my boat, but they do run in shore and beach on occations.

Baits, worms, squid in strips, sand eel (deadly if fresh) shell fish off the rocks (for free) crab Under the weed in rock pools, prawn rock pools again.
Most important a spool of bait elastic to stop the crabs getting your bait off as soon as it hits the bottom.
I could go on for ever and never stopped learning.

There used to be a couple of good tackel shops in Porthmadog.

GOOGLE SHORE FISHING CARDIGAN DAY

pafenttiman

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll likely be lure fishing. 1.75 barbel rod or a 7' lure rod might be easier on the luggage space... should do for smaller bass. Anything else likely on lures from the rocks? :)