Leaving discarded hooks and line

robertroach

Reaction score
I was walking my dog on a deserted Dorset beach the other week and he picked up a baited hook and some line attached. Luckily I was able to extract it from his mouth before it was swallowed. A glaucous gull was photographed at Portland Bill the other day with fishing line dangling from its bill. It will probably die a slow lingering death.
As a keen angler myself I do not understand why anyone would leave this stuff around, so this is just a plea to anyone out there to take their old hooks and line home with them and not leave them on the shore.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was walking my dog on a deserted Dorset beach the other week and he picked up a baited hook and some line attached. Luckily I was able to extract it from his mouth before it was swallowed. A glaucous gull was photographed at Portland Bill the other day with fishing line dangling from its bill. It will probably die a slow lingering death.
As a keen angler myself I do not understand why anyone would leave this stuff around, so this is just a plea to anyone out there to take their old hooks and line home with them and not leave them on the shore.

I fish the beaches and this sort of thing is on the increase along the Suffolk beaches where I fish along with general litter especially where camps have been set up by some of our foreign visitors. Orford Island is becoming a rubbish tip this sort of thing is going to cost beach anglers their fishing broken cheap chairs tin cans bottles sundry packaging even ban lines pinned to the beach with bits of iron work.

john step

Reaction score
Unfortunately on this forum we preach to the converted. The litter louts will not be reading anything here. If they can read of course!!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
For the life of me I just cannot understand the mentality of these cretins who leave this sort of stuff on the bank (or beach)......
At the weekend I reeled in to re-bait, dropping my line in front of me. I tore off a lump of flake and reached down to find my hook length only to pick up the end of someone else's discarded line. I puled and pulled, eventually ending up with more than a metre of line with two shot attached!
Is it such a fag to wind in your bottom rig around fingers, at the end of a session and drop it into your bag? It's what I've always done and once home you get to remove the shot for the next trip......

Why is it so hard for some to understand the damage this stuff does to wildlife when most must know how long it takes for mono to decompose....Something like 50/100 years plus, but I don't think anyone really knows(?)

How do you get the message across though......................................

richiekelly

Reaction score
For the life of me I just cannot understand the mentality of these cretins who leave this sort of stuff on the bank (or beach)......
At the weekend I reeled in to re-bait, dropping my line in front of me. I tore off a lump of flake and reached down to find my hook length only to pick up the end of someone else's discarded line. I puled and pulled, eventually ending up with more than a metre of line with two shot attached!
Is it such a fag to wind in your bottom rig around fingers, at the end of a session and drop it into your bag? It's what I've always done and once home you get to remove the shot for the next trip......

Why is it so hard for some to understand the damage this stuff does to wildlife when most must know how long it takes for mono to decompose....Something like 50/100 years plus, but I don't think anyone really knows(?)

How do you get the message across though......................................

One way is for clubs/syndicates/fishery owners to have one rule on litter, if its in your swim its yours, don't pick it up get banned with no refunds.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One thing that people overlook is that beach fishing most often happens over high water and, on shallow sloping beaches, an angler can get snagged and broken on rocks at distances up to 100 yards away and this lost tackle is then exposed at low water. It's not as simple as simply blaming anglers for littering.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have heard some rubbish on forums over the years but that is the biggest bit of old bait yet:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek::eek::eek:

mick b

Reaction score
I couldnt agree more with the OP.

One of my fav walks takes in a section of beach and sometimes I have collected so much discarded 'end gear' that i have had to stash it for later collection it was that heavy.:eek:
And I dont mean gear snagged below the high water mark either, Im refering to gear that has been chopped off at the end of the day and just abandond at the fishing position.
I asked in my tackle shop about this and the owner said that many anglers just cut it off and leave it now...:eek:mg:

As for line, etc let on the riverbank/lakeside then Im in total agreement with blanker.
If its in your swim it yours and your responsible for it, no excuses.

The problem is the committees, they must have enough backbone to haul the offender before them and ban them face to face.

As for penalties, by far the best is to suspend the offender for 12 months for the first offence, 2years for the second and lifetime for the 3rd.
In my experience of this incremental punishment it is rare to go beyond the initial suspension, especially if its been well publicised!!.

.:D

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have heard some rubbish on forums over the years but that is the biggest bit of old bait yet:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek::eek::eek:

Are you a beach angler? A lot of people take their constitutional along the low water line at beaches with noted high-water fishing marks like New Brighton, Colwyn Bay, Llandudno, Penrhyn Bay, etc and make a habit of picking up snagged tackle from the rocks and reefs. Breakaway leads at £2 a go and swivels, clips, beads, even hooks and other rig components can all be re-used by thrifty anglers.

I suggest, unless you are a beach angler with knowledge to the contrary, that you defer to someone who goes beach fishing and ACTUALLY knows what they are talking about.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here we go again.

One moderator has already closed one sensible thread this morning because of the inane and the immature.

You may disagree strongly with a point of view expressed on a thread. Good, we like a debate - however wrong/right you may be.

What is unacceptable is the constant descent into the personal exhibited by the same group of regulars - for which we as mods are receiving constant comment from the many many members who are fed up to the back teeth of it!

I'm not closing this thread (yet) as it is a very important thread. It is up to you!

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here we go again.

One moderator has already closed one sensible thread this morning because of the inane and the immature.

You may disagree strongly with a point of view expressed on a thread. Good, we like a debate - however wrong/right you may be.

What is unacceptable is the constant descent into the personal exhibited by the same group of regulars - for which we as mods are receiving constant comment from the many many members who are fed up to the back teeth of it!

I'm not closing this thread (yet) as it is a very important thread. It is up to you!

I think you will find that mine is a reasoned response to an abusive reply. I will edit it to reflect the logic of my argument and dispense with the righteous ridicule of someone who clearly doesn't know what he is talking about and is, yet again, laying troll bait!

Last edited:

mick b

Reaction score
End gear lost on snags is where all my leads have come from since I arrived in Hampshire.

Plus I have nigh-on a bucketful of broken leads ie; no ring eyes, ready for a moulding session next time the barby is fired up.

It always fascinates me watching the local anglers walking the snaggy zone with a bucket and seeing them almost race each other to the prime positions..:D

Human behaviour........:eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 02:55 ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 ----------

laying troll bait!

Don't rise to it Jack, rise above it.

:cool:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are you a beach angler? A lot of people take their constitutional along the low water line at beaches with noted high-water fishing marks like New Brighton, Colwyn Bay, Llandudno, Penrhyn Bay, etc and make a habit of picking up snagged tackle from the rocks and reefs. Breakaway leads at £2 a go and swivels, clips, beads, even hooks and other rig components can all be re-used by thrifty anglers.

I suggest, unless you are a beach angler with knowledge to the contrary, that you defer to someone who goes beach fishing and ACTUALLY knows what they are talking about.

Read my post.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
End gear lost on snags is where all my leads have come from since I arrived in Hampshire.

Plus I have nigh-on a bucketful of broken leads ie; no ring eyes, ready for a moulding session next time the barby is fired up.

It always fascinates me watching the local anglers walking the snaggy zone with a bucket and seeing them almost race each other to the prime positions..:D

Human behaviour........:eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 02:55 ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 ----------

Don't rise to it Jack, rise above it.

:cool:

The guy who get the biggest bounty are the ragworm diggers since the rags live in the gritty, stony, mussel-bed type areas. You often see the diggers coming up off the beach with half a dozen leads in their buckets, with the worms. The ones I have seen also pick up the yards of trailing shockleader as well. It's in their interest for the beaches to be safe and clean too.

mick b

Reaction score
The guy who get the biggest bounty are the ragworm diggers since the rags live in the gritty, stony, mussel-bed type areas. You often see the diggers coming up off the beach with half a dozen leads in their buckets, with the worms. The ones I have seen also pick up the yards of trailing shockleader as well. It's in their interest for the beaches to be safe and clean too.

Round here its the Chinese cockle scrappers, best thing is that they lift the leads out and lay them on stones for me to collect......its an ill wind.........:D

richiekelly

Reaction score
Read my post.

I have read your previous post and I don't understand it hence my asking the question I did which you haven't answered.

You may not have come across the situation described in post #7 but it is obvious that others have, the post by MB clearly demonstrates that it happens quite a lot and that it is a situation recognised by other beach anglers that see it as a way of collecting free tackle.

It is no different to a boater collecting floats/leads/feeders on a river or retrieving tackle on a still water during times of low water levels, tackle gets lost and is sometimes picked up by others should the opportunity arrive.

Can you please clarify whether your initial post inferred that the situation cannot happen.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you are talking about tackle retrieval the tide does not go out far enough in many areas for lost tackle to be retrieved on Orford Island and the deep shelving beaches low water can be as little as 30 feet further out than high water Many of the best beaches are not easily accessible to the general public at and the rubbish that is left on these beaches is left by people fishing. I have sea fished shore and boat since 1960. I have found over the years that litter in areas where fishing is carried out is usually down to the people that are using the area for fishing whether it be rive lake beach rock marks.