How I Cut & Cast Stink Pink Squid!

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
USING STINKY PINK SQUID "IKA"!

In this video i share how i set-up my shore/surf casting rig & how i prepare my baits. Also my choice in equipment used as well. When i do fish other areas i sometimes alter my techniques by lengthening or shorting the lead line and/or baited leader lines to varying the baits used to switching between monofilament & braided lines. I do stick with circle hooks like BKN to Mutsu. This comes from understanding the areas you fish in. Over time by trial & error you'll learn what works the best for you.

Yes, i love using old frozen stink squid packed in rock salt. I wait until the outer skin turns pink before i use them. In the water it puts out a tremendous "odor trail" that fresh squid can't match (in my humble opinion). The rock salt toughens the squid so it doesn't break apart. I also double the thickness & tie the squid to the hook's eys using dental thread before casting. This way i don't have to check on my baits often & i can put muscle into my casts to get my baits out farther without the squid ripping-off.

My choice of equipment used this day was a custom 13'3" IRW casting rod with a Shimano Ultegra 5500 CI4+ spinner loaded with 50lb braid. I had a Breakaway Canon also on with a bell holder & bell. I placed a sand spike between the planks with a safety cord with 2 biners to secure the rig if it got away. I carried everything to the site using a utility beach wagon.

This is a "How To" video & didn't hook-up that day unfortunately, even with the sardine pile across from me being slammed by predators. I left that afternoon. My friend Dustin Jed was down from where i was casting with his buddy Maynard Lazo. They messaged me that after i left that they hit a 3.6lb Trevally & a 4.8lb Bonefish. Figures. We thought the Bonefish was a Ladyfish because it stayed on the surface moving between our lines for hours.

YouTube

mikench

Reaction score
Are you based on Oahu in Hawaï ? Your posts should be on the Sea fishing forum:)