lobster pots

zubby

Reaction score
hello guys,

just a quick question for someone who pots, i have applied for my permit and they are sending the tags out. now i have bought a pot from ebay (LOBSTER SHRIMP CRAB CRAY FISH BAIT FISH LIVE TRAP CAGE POT BOAT SEA FISHING | eBay)
i have messaged the seller asking if there was a escape hatch because when i was looking at the laws when i was applying it said the pots need a escape hatch. this pot does not have a escape hatch. will i be aloud to use this pot or if i get caught will i be fined?

thank you.

chrissh

Reaction score
Not wanting to sound negative…

I don’t think the pot will be any good for lobster at the size it is 30x60cm (12x24inch) looking at the pot you bought

it looks like the sort of net kids have for crabbing on holiday

FAQs

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Don't know much about pots but used to help drag them up in 100 ft of water in the Dover Straights against rip currents which nearly killed me, hope you don't have to try that.good luck

JohnSLocker

Reaction score
As Chrissh has said, that is more of a holiday makers crab catcher trap. The link he has given is spot on aswel. I will say though your choices need to be made taking into account wether used from the shore or a boat, and if in a boat will you be hauling by hand? A 3 bowed side entry medley pot is good for a solo boat user and to shoot off the side of a pier. Just be wary that thieves can and will steal anything.