MYSTERY STRIKE! Any Ideas?

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
This Was At The Entrance To Pearl Harbor In Hawaii!

This happen casting off "Broken Pier" at the entrance to Pearl Harbor on Oahu. I dozed off & got a strike on my Okuma 11" Cedros Surf with a Azores 65 Spinner on it. Took me 20sec to get to my rig. I could feel it "bouncing" off the bottom before it spit the hook. The leader & lead line was scratched-up. Could've been anything from a large eel to a turtle. Knowing this area also could've been a ray, shark or small GT.

When the line first when "pook", i thought i lost it. Then i could feel it pulling slowly like it was turning around something. Then it pulled hard & the line got hung-up. After a good pull i felt the lead bouncing on the bottom getting stuck a few times. Because of the feel & the fact it stayed on the bottom i really think i may have hooked a large eel that was going from structure to structure trying to dislodge the hook. A ray or shark would just keep swimming.

Then latter on 2 piles of baitfish broke the surface near where i first threw the squid bait. There was definitely fish around. This is just a fun video looking at what we anglers sometimes have to go through.

YouTube