Crab fishing / Crabbing / Gillying

S7ewie

Reaction score
Hey, newbie here..

I'm not by any means an experianced or even regular fisher. I grew up using spinners and float fishing with my dad and now we occasionally do a bit of sea fishing from the beach. This question is a bit different however..

Every year we go on holiday at the Norfolk broads, dad spends most of it fishing haha. This year I took my girlfiend and one day we went out to cromer to do some crabbing off the pier (with little luck), then later spent a day in Wells and had another go (with much more luck). We used the basic line with bait bags (not the drop nets that a lot of people used). It was great fun. The only issue we had with the basic line and bait method was that any decent sized crab wouldn't hold on long enough to get them out. Not really an issue when fishing for fun but me and my girlfrind do quite a bit of camping and really like the idea of being able to catch a brown crab big enough to have for dinner. So it got me wondering.. Is there anything I can do to modify the bait bag to make it more effective? Are there other products out there that will solve the issue? Are there any small portable crab pots we could use? (it seems that the next step up is the big commercial pots and we don't want them for obvious reasons). Can you even catch brown crab that close to the shore?

On a side note I'd like to get a trap for crayfish too but I don't think they'd be big and durable enough for crab. I know there are restrictions on size too and that they have to be registered so I might make a seperate post to ask about that.

Any suggestions?