Making shore rigs without crimps...

John Keane

Reaction score
Found this on YouTube and it’s clever! I’ve started doing a few and, believe me, the stops are HARD to move when you use 2 together.

The most immediate advantage I can see is that if you are fishing clipped-down rigs and you get stretch in the hook snoods you can just move the stops and take up the slack.

YouTube

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wonder of ledger stops would acheive the same results?
Ledger stops are cheap on evilbay these days.

John Keane

Reaction score
I wonder of ledger stops would acheive the same results?
Ledger stops are cheap on evilbay these days.

Possibly, but rig bodies tend to be 50-80lb, for safety depending on weight of lead being used. I don’t think conventional leger stops will go on line of that diameter.

Anyway, the neoprene tubing is around £2 for a metre which will make hundreds of stops.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Possibly, but rig bodies tend to be 50-80lb, for safety depending on weight of lead being used. I don’t think conventional leger stops will go on line of that diameter.

Anyway, the neoprene tubing is around £2 for a metre which will make hundreds of stops.

Blimey, 50 to 80lb! I'm not saying there's ewt wrong with that, it's probly better as it must be stiffer.
I think I used to use 25lb suffix attatched to 25 or 30lb braid for my mainline and never used a shock leader.

John Keane

Reaction score
Blimey, 50 to 80lb! I'm not saying there's ewt wrong with that, it's probly better as it must be stiffer.
I think I used to use 25lb suffix attatched to 25 or 30lb braid for my mainline and never used a shock leader.

Nowt to do with stiffness, it’s just safety. The rule is 10lb of line in shockleader and rig for each ounce of weight. The force that some people put into casting could be catastrophic if there was a crack-off and 6oz of lead bulleted along the beach at 200mph.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nowt to do with stiffness, it’s just safety. The rule is 10lb of line in shockleader and rig for each ounce of weight. The force that some people put into casting could be catastrophic if there was a crack-off and 6oz of lead bulleted along the beach at 200mph.

Yeah, I know the reasons for a shockleader, I think it's a rule in some public places, but I always fished on my own or with one or two others and we never had a crack off when casting. I'f it came to the crunch i'd just use 60 or 80lb braid straight through rather than use a shockleader.

John Keane

Reaction score
Yeah, I know the reasons for a shockleader, I think it's a rule in some public places, but I always fished on my own or with one or two others and we never had a crack off when casting. I'f it came to the crunch i'd just use 60 or 80lb braid straight through rather than use a shockleader.

That’s okay on clean beaches but braid has poor abrasion resistance and using it over mussel beds, rough ground or rocks will usually result in a tackle loss.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Very useful that John-I would have thought leger stops squeeze the line and those little stoppers get lost on the beach. This is straight forward with no squeezing on the line and nothing to fiddle about with - with cold hands. I think its an excellent idea.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Very useful that John-I would have thought leger stops squeeze the line and those little stoppers get lost on the beach. This is straight forward with no squeezing on the line and nothing to fiddle about with - with cold hands. I think its an excellent idea.

I dont fish over rough ground but those little plastic aquaplane things help when reeling in, they lift the rig off the bottom and dont cut down the cast much I found.
Dont forget the thicker the line the more resistance to winds and currents requiring heavier weights to hold bottom so a shock leader helps you use a thinner main line reducing the weight need.
(Sorry, I missed the edit button and answered my own post by mistake)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I dont fish over rough ground but those little plastic aquaplane things help when reeling in, they lift the rig off the bottom and dont cut down the cast much I found.
Dont forget the thicker the line the more resistance to winds and currents requiring heavier weights to hold bottom so a shock leader helps you use a thinner main line reducing the weight need.
(Sorry, I missed the edit button and answered my own post by mistake)

The rubber stopps just slide onto the line, no pinching or crushing.

If you use braid it negates the need for a shockleader imo. Even in 60 or 80lb breaking strain it's still smuch slimmer than most mono's used for sea fishing. It gives a better bite registration also. I think braid leaves mono behind when it comes to lure or leger fishing.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The rubber stopps just slide onto the line, no pinching or crushing.

If you use braid it negates the need for a shockleader imo. Even in 60 or 80lb breaking strain it's still smuch slimmer than most mono's used for sea fishing. It gives a better bite registration also. I think braid leaves mono behind when it comes to lure or leger fishing.

I must say I have never used braid, I must try it sometime as I can imagine it is better then mono in some respects, bite detection etc. I use 25lb straight through at present, maximum 4oz weight and smooth casting I never have break offs. Even 12lb when using my carp rod and 2oz weight when the wind and sea is light, this holds bottom well enough and will handle any fish I am likely to get. Different when I used to fish the Dover channel, 8oz grip leads when still 25lb ish line but a shock leader of 30-40lb ish.
The thing is I have never liked shock leaders, no matter how well I tied it, covered it in nail varnish etc to make it smooth, there would always be this bit of stiffness which would cause a snarl on occasions and a weak point. If I can balance the line, the weight needed and fish I am likely to get without needing one I prefer it. And the other thing, if using 60-80lb line, I would need heavier weight with all that wind and current pushing against the thick line. Its horses for courses and what we like and feel good with, I appreciate that though.
However, I will look into braid next time I change my line, weigh up the options of strengths and diameters ect with how and where I fish as its thinner by comparison to mono and less stretch factor.

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
I’m not familiar with the science because I’ve never used braid on a multiplier but my mate in Taskers told me to avoid braid on multipliers as he says it’s “too fine” and very readily birds-nests when trying for distance. I use 50lb braid on my uptiding multiplier as it’s not an out and out casting reel.

As to sea fishing reels, I always try to use a multiplier as I don’t like the big coffee grinder fixed spools, plus I like that using a multiplier involves a bit of an acquired skill set.

For shockleaders and rig bodies I only use 50lb clear Amnesia.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I must say I have never used braid, I must try it sometime as I can imagine it is better then mono in some respects, bite detection etc. I use 25lb straight through at present, maximum 4oz weight and smooth casting I never have break offs. Even 12lb when using my carp rod and 2oz weight when the wind and sea is light, this holds bottom well enough and will handle any fish I am likely to get. Different when I used to fish the Dover channel, 8oz grip leads when still 25lb ish line but a shock leader of 30-40lb ish.
The thing is I have never liked shock leaders, no matter how well I tied it, covered it in nail varnish etc to make it smooth, there would always be this bit of stiffness which would cause a snarl on occasions and a weak point. If I can balance the line, the weight needed and fish I am likely to get without needing one I prefer it. And the other thing, if using 60-80lb line, I would need heavier weight with all that wind and current pushing against the thick line. Its horses for courses and what we like and feel good with, I appreciate that though.
However, I will look into braid next time I change my line, weigh up the options of strengths and diameters ect with how and where I fish as its thinner by comparison to mono and less stretch factor.

Regarding drag on your line, because braid has a much lower diameter it doesn't catch the water as mono does.
When I used to do a lot of beachcasting I was blasting it to the milkyway but I was giving it a good old whack out and I hink the braid I still have on my reels is fox graviton in 25lb. If I was to spool up my reels today I already have the braid in a drawer, I would use power pro in an appropriate B/S.

John, I also use multipliers, no idea why, I just associate them with sea fishing. I remember one chap I knew started to use a large fixed spool reel combined with a 16ft rod (i'm suee it was 16ft) and he could cast a hell of a distance.

John Keane

Reaction score
Regarding drag on your line, because braid has a much lower diameter it doesn't catch the water as mono does.
When I used to do a lot of beachcasting I was blasting it to the milkyway but I was giving it a good old whack out and I hink the braid I still have on my reels is fox graviton in 25lb. If I was to spool up my reels today I already have the braid in a drawer, I would use power pro in an appropriate B/S.

John, I also use multipliers, no idea why, I just associate them with sea fishing. I remember one chap I knew started to use a large fixed spool reel combined with a 16ft rod (i'm suee it was 16ft) and he could cast a hell of a distance.

That’s Continental style beach fishing rods of 14ft+ and fixed spools with finer lines (12 or 15lb) its a nice way of fishing and keeps a lot more line out of the tide. Wouldn’t get you very far in the Mersey though!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That’s Continental style beach fishing rods of 14ft+ and fixed spools with finer lines (12 or 15lb) its a nice way of fishing and keeps a lot more line out of the tide. Wouldn’t get you very far in the Mersey though!

He used braid so even if he was using a heavy strain it would only be the equivellent diameter to lighter mono's.
If I remember rightly he was useing 6 ounce leads and really giving it some whelly when he cast.....thinkin' about it, it may have been a 14ft rod, i'm not a hundred percent sure. I know it doesn't matter, it's just annnoying when you can't remember something....a lot gone on since then though :eek:mg:.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I started with multipliers for beach fishing back in the day then went over to fixed spools for years. Last year I bought a small multiplier second hand which I have enjoyed using again, they have come on a lot, better retrieve ratio, sensitive drag which you can set to cut out birds nests. I did this at first and I found it did not cut the distance very much but now I have got used to it let it run on free. I have left the level winder on as well, I like this and again I dont think it cuts the distance by much, certainly a lot easier to wind in.
The coffee grinder description is apt for fixed spools but one I have, second hand again is not too bad, they have come on a bit as well. Dont know which I prefer, pros and cons on both types of reel.
The thing is I don't punch for the heavens these days, settling for a smooth cast rather than the big cast and not bothering with shock leaders which I never liked much. Fish are often enough not that far out although there are days when they are, but easier fishing is more my forte these days. I have done it all, geared everything for distance, experimented with ring placements, pendulum casts, shock leaders, best knots best lengths, bait cones etc; the lot, just a more laid back angler these days; maybe too much but just a sort of zen I got to.
Anyway thanks for the tips on braid, I will definitely look into it when I need to change my line next.

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
I started with multipliers for beach fishing back in the day then went over to fixed spools for years. Last year I bought a small multiplier second hand which I have enjoyed using again, they have come on a lot, better retrieve ratio, sensitive drag which you can set to cut out birds nests. I did this at first and I found it did not cut the distance very much but now I have got used to it let it run on free. I have left the level winder on as well, I like this and again I dont think it cuts the distance by much, certainly a lot easier to wind in.
The coffee grinder description is apt for fixed spools but one I have, second hand again is not too bad, they have come on a bit as well. Dont know which I prefer, pros and cons on both types of reel.
The thing is I don't punch for the heavens these days, settling for a smooth cast rather than the big cast and not bothering with shock leaders which I never liked much. Fish are often enough not that far out although there are days when they are, but easier fishing is more my forte these days. I have done it all, geared everything for distance, experimented with ring placements, pendulum casts, shock leaders, best knots best lengths, bait cones etc; the lot, just a more laid back angler these days; maybe too much but just a sort of zen I got to.
Anyway thanks for the tips on braid, I will definitely look into it when I need to change my line next.

Best small beach multiplier I ever had (for fishing clean beaches) was an Abu Mag Elite. You could set the mag brakes on full when casting in the dark and you’d never get an overrun and in the day you could back them right off for smooth distance casting. I don’t think they’re as good now they’re made in China but there are still loads about on auction sites that are marked Made in Sweden.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Best small beach multiplier I ever had (for fishing clean beaches) was an Abu Mag Elite. You could set the mag brakes on full when casting in the dark and you’d never get an overrun and in the day you could back them right off for smooth distance casting. I don’t think they’re as good now they’re made in China but there are still loads about on auction sites that are marked Made in Sweden.

I have three abu multipliers and I think they all have adjustable brakes.
I have no idea if it actually makes a difference to their quality but mine where all made in sweden.

John Keane

Reaction score
I have three abu multipliers and I think they all have adjustable brakes.
I have no idea if it actually makes a difference to their quality but mine where all made in sweden.

Tackle dealers will tell you that Abu multipliers that are now all produced in China aren’t as good as the Swedish ones.